New: Manager or not

RoyMac5

New: Manager or not  

494 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it has to be Cocu in now. I’m still far far far from convinced he’s the right man for the job, he again showed his negative tendencies with the subs and tactical changes toward the end today. But we’ve made our choice now to give him the window, so we have to make sure we get the transfers spot on to give him a better squad to work with, then hope Cocu repays the faith shown in him by producing a far better second half of the season than he produced in the first half. I really hope he does and proves my lack of faith as wrong, but I still have long term concerns.

On 30/12/2019 at 14:46, Oldben said:

So a manager who fails with a team, should in the hope they eventually bring improvement be allowed to continue even if it means potential relegation?!

Lets look at some managers who are greater in worse circumstances than the clubs now in ...

LEE BOWYER (CHARLTON)

When the season started, Bowyer didn’t even know if he was Charlton’s manager. The club were in crisis, with staff working in semi-darkness to keep the leccy bill down, and Bowyer, in his first managerial role, was still caretaker in September having begun in March. To not only keep the Addicks steady but secure a play-off place, despite losing top scorer Karlan Grant to Huddersfield in January, is some effort.

PAUL WARNE (ROTHERHAM)

Yes, really. The manager whose team lost 6-1 the other week. Rotherham are unfortunate to be in the bottom three, giving seriously rough rides to the division’s top teams and winning more points at home than the promotion-chasing pair of Bristol City and Middlesbrough, only to be undone by so many results going narrowly against them.

Warne picked up Rotherham during the worst campaign in Championship history and won promotion at the first attempt; given that half of his team have barely played at this level before, keeping them up would be even more impressive. A 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest on Saturday showed what they're capable of.

This is written as if last season’s happening now…

DANNY COWLEY (LINCOLN)

His three seasons at Lincoln have brought a Football League Trophy, an FA Cup quarter-final, promotion to League Two, an immediate play-off place and now – well, soon – the League Two title.

So why isn’t Cowley higher? Because the 40-year-old’s good work meant Lincoln were one of the 2018/19 promotion favourites, with several players who simply shouldn’t be in League Two, including Jason Shackell, Michael Bostwick and John Akinde. That he’s in this list at all is testament to how dominant his team have been.

The Huddersfield manager…

GRANT MCCANN (DONCASTER)

Several in pre-season, including FFT, thought Donny might struggle. Even their Fan File in our Season Preview – where every supporter tips their club for promotion or a play-off push – predicted a 17th-placed finish. McCann has made a mockery of such worries: in his first season, Doncaster are League One’s second-top scorers and occupy a play-off place ahead of Peterborough, who sacked McCann last year.

The Hull manager…

MICKY MELLON (TRANMERE)

Cowley has made Lincoln champions elect and Bury’s Ryan Lowe is League Two Manager of the Season, because obviously it must be announced in March, but Mellon deserves enormous credit for his work with Tranmere. The Scot previously took Fleetwood from the Conference North to the League Two play-off places before a bafflingly premature sacking, and now his Tranmere side are pushing inexplicably hard for back-to-back promotions.

Although he has runaway Golden Boot leader James Norwood to thank for many a narrow win, Mellon masterminded seven consecutive wins with only two goals conceded – a run ended by Oldham last week.

Norwood plays for Ipswich now…

I still don't think that Cocu will be a success. However, the 6 points this week have eased the relegation fears. He's earned the right to take us through the season now - hopefully he'll shove my doubts down my throat.

I'd also say that it's too late to change managers now. No one else would have the time to assess the squad in time for this window's transfer dealings. For good or ill, he's here until the end of March, and probably a lot longer unless the relegation form returns.

Assuming the finances don't bite us, I'm on to a winner anyway. I don't think that Cocu is the right appointment. I don't think that playing good football is a viable way to get out of this division unless you have the very best squad. And I don't think that developing youngsters is the recipe for success. If I'm proved correct, I claim the right to be a bit smug.

Yet, I really like Cocu and want him to succeed. I love watching good football and would be really proud if my club could be a shining beacon of skill in a fairly dour division. It makes me proud to see our young players developing and doing well. If I'm proved wrong, I'll be overjoyed. A win-win for me.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I don't feel the need to start a poll, I'm happy with what we've got and I'm not the kind of person that demands everything now. No problem here.

Well fine, just allow other fans to express their opinion, we can't all be the same.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Go on then. I don't get the problem with finding out what fans think - or should it not matter?

@RoyMac5 I think the forum itself allows fans to express their opinion without the need for endless polls\votes .... I’m sure the majority on here love your forthright opinions please don’t let a bit of ‘leg pulling’ yank your chain ... chill mate ... we all fans at the end of the day .... it’s just banter mate ? COYR 

1 minute ago, Gisby said:

@RoyMac5 I think the forum itself allows fans to express their opinion without the need for endless polls\votes .... I’m sure the majority on here love your forthright opinions please don’t let a bit of ‘leg pulling’ yank your chain ... chill mate ... we all fans at the end of the day .... it’s just banter mate ? COYR 

Grumble grumble mutter mutter 'those pesky kids'! Lol.

#weareallDerby 

?

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Assuming the finances don't bite us, I'm on to a winner anyway. I don't think that Cocu is the right appointment. I don't think that playing good football is a viable way to get out of this division unless you have the very best squad. And I don't think that developing youngsters is the recipe for success. If I'm proved correct, I claim the right to be a bit smug.

Evening Gary, putting it all into practice down in Sarf Lahndan? ?

Small changes appear to be taking hold, which is good news that progress is following. Not just with regards to back to back wins, but the dark cloud over the club is lifting somewhat.

I noticed in his post match interview the other night, he seemed happier and more relaxed. Again, you can say that's down to the result and performance but I'd say that the result and performance are more likely symptomatic of a coaching team starting to settle and playing staff starting to get their heads around what they are being asked to do.

Still have question marks over what exactly has been so difficult about his ideas that our players can't grasp. And are they necessarily worth this hassle if they are in any way complex or hard to drill into the players? Are we overthinking our tactics? Do they not suit our team?

Still a lot of season left, and I know good players don't always make good coaches, but if we've got a manager who played as a player at that kind of level then we would be foolish to sack him before we've really exhausted his playbook and given him time.

Its Phillip Cocu ffs, we've got to hear him out fully. He understands football more than a whole stadium full of fans combined.

Archived