Martyn Waghorn

MackworthRamIsGod

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think you're right about this. I have always liked Waghorn but I went off him a bit on Saturday when he was trying to point to the number 9 on his shirt. You want to be number one in that position, you have to take your chances.

Problem with him as a striker is he's not particularly special in the air, average quickness but more importantly, has a teflon first touch. Plays like he wants to run onto the ball, but build like he should be holding it up. Add to that that I would never back him to score 1 v 1, and it's a problem. The reason he's more effective out wide is he can win headers against smaller full backs and can receive the ball in more space and potentially in front of him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RamontheMoor said:

In the short term thats not possible though. January is when that can happen....we are having to make use of what we have. Square pegs, round holes ?

Cocu could have started Whittaker? Better starting him at 0-0 than 0-2!

Most of the team lack confidence away from home and this impacts massively negatively on him as he has already said he has mental health issues.  We need someone very  confident in there to inspire and motivate our squad and to bring out the best in them.  They seem to fall apart all too easily and unable to fight back.  Whether or not Rooney can fulfil this role remains to be seen.  That said I still feel there is a lack of cohesion in the squad and too many just haven't got the ability to help  us achieve a top six place.  Going back to Waghorn his inability to hold up the ball is concerning.  He reminds me of a lesser Wanchope ungainly on the ball and yet can be very effective.

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Think it’s a bit unfair to judge his ability from this season and not last. What if he’s just having a bad season and last season was a reflection of his true self?

I think you judge on the most recent evidence. It's entirely possible what you're saying is right, but that's not helping us at the minute is it? My point is, he needs to ride the bench for some time.

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Still think there’s a good championship player in there, we saw it last season. Imo we have to bring the coaching into question at this point, we’ve been inept going forward pretty much all season, can’t just be all the individuals are poo. Cocu really has got to get more out of the players at his disposal, it’s not good enough atm even with this not that great squad.

But back to the main point, even though he’s never quite been a top player at this level, Waghorn has been well below his standards this season. Hasn’t been good enough, simple as. While I’d be reluctant to let him go because we know what he can do, I think with Rooney coming in we probably do need to let a striker go. You can certainly make an argument for that to be Waghorn.

You could argue it could be any of the strikers at the moment. Not one of them are doing the business.

13 hours ago, cannable said:

When we play him wide right he plays up front anyway. Not only does this give us no right winger it completely leaves Bogle for dead. 

Get him wider and we immediately look two players better. 

Get him any wider and he will look like 3 players

23 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Martyn Waghorn hasn't been the Same player this season and I think the only answer is to string him up on the market place and flog him...makes sense I suppose?

Yes, probably try and sell before it turns into a Butterfield / Johnson situation and we can't get rid. Looks like we paid too much for Waghorn. I know the club carry out extensive medicals but not sure if they check up on things like history of mental health issues. Probably something a prospective employee might have to declare in the normal world of work. Maybe one of the forums HR experts know a bit more about that sort of thing? 

1 minute ago, Mckram said:

Saved him, because without that he offered nothing! 

One single instant of an attacking footballer kicking a ball well in over an hour and a half of football ?

The only saves their keeper made that weren't straight at him were forced by Jayden Bogle. 

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Why? Looked a stone waller from where I was sat. Also none of our players complained when it was given. 

In the flesh I was on the wrong side of the stadium and seeing the pixelated version on skysports made it look like Waghorn beat him to the ball. Seen it again and I was wrong, definite penalty.

Archived