Will we ever score from a corner again ?

Seaside Ram

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

My sentiments exactly.

Then lock the whole team in a cinema and show endless re-runs of 1970s corners

Hinton to O'Hare/Hector/ MacFarland.

It worked then,  it'd work now!

Hmm...when the balls were made of laminated concrete....and refs didn't usually blow their whistles until their was a chance of a tackle being charged for gbh.

Different times....?

49 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Hmm...when the balls were made of laminated concrete....and refs didn't usually blow their whistles until their was a chance of a tackle being charged for gbh.

Different times....?

A lot more fun too.

And...the game went on at the BBG as long as no one actually drowned in the mud!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Had to laugh today , as nice as they are the two blokes who sit behind me talk absolute baalocks all game . "Mate we won't score from a corner in my lifetime trust me " . 2 minutes later step up Mr Waghorn ?

Perhaps the bloke behind had just snuffed it.

It was great to see us look more threatening at corners and think Fozzies presence helped yesterday but I still reckon we lack a set piece taker who can whip in crosses at chest/head height. You know what I mean. Airborne, at pace with a flatter trajectory. Ours always seem the be higher/slower loopers somehow. ... I can’t say I’m 100% right right but it’s an overall impression I get ? Malone can do it but as Lowe looked so good on the ball yesterday he’s going to struggle to get his place back.

On 09/11/2019 at 15:33, cannable said:

The average is a goal from every 100 corners. Even if we’re bad at them they’re not a productive source of goals.

Apparently it's slightly better odds, but not that much - 1 goal in 45, including short corners and poor clearances from corners. 

And the odds are fairly consistent between World Cup matches and US College matches - scoring from a corner every seven games, or something like that - suggesting that other levels of football will be similar.

But ... similar odds can probably be found for all sorts of types of goals ... eg goals from long balls, etc. 

So it probably is worth trying to score from corners after all ?

Perhaps, if the odds are low, perhaps balls driven into the box, or dribbled into the box would be the best approach ... giving defenders less time to react. And the crowd will probably prefer a move dribble or a shot on goal, to a drifted-in corner that is punched away ...

http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2010/12/corner-kicks-by-numbers.html

15 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Had to laugh today , as nice as they are the two blokes who sit behind me talk absolute baalocks all game . "Mate we won't score from a corner in my lifetime trust me " . 2 minutes later step up Mr Waghorn ?

I'll always remember when Martin scored a free kick I think against Bournemouth, the absolute weapon who was sat behind me (who had been talking absolute nonsense all match) piped up "why is that fat **** taking this, he couldn't score from there if he tried". Bang, top corner.

It took all of my willpower not to climb back a row and throw him down the steps.

On 09/11/2019 at 15:03, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I think teams rarely score from corners...unless they're playing Derby! We seemed to get some good crosses in at times today. 

Averages shot rate from corners is 20% or 1 in 5; then only 5% of those shots result in a goal; source: the numbers game.

8 hours ago, jono said:

It was great to see us look more threatening at corners and think Fozzies presence helped yesterday but I still reckon we lack a set piece taker who can whip in crosses at chest/head height. You know what I mean. Airborne, at pace with a flatter trajectory. Ours always seem the be higher/slower loopers somehow. ... I can’t say I’m 100% right right but it’s an overall impression I get ? Malone can do it but as Lowe looked so good on the ball yesterday he’s going to struggle to get his place back.

No worries, Rooney will sort that one out. 

6 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'll always remember when Martin scored a free kick I think against Bournemouth, the absolute weapon who was sat behind me (who had been talking absolute nonsense all match) piped up "why is that fat **** taking this, he couldn't score from there if he tried". Bang, top corner.

It took all of my willpower not to climb back a row and throw him down the steps.

Those moments a precious, treasure them. 

I periodically bask in my Darren Bent moment. There was a Benty hater behind me always moaning about him. Can’t remember the game but he came on as sub and it was “why is he putting that waste of space on again, not fit to wear the shirt” 

2 minutes later; bang - goal, 3 points. Don’t you just love it ?

Archived