Forest (A) Match Thread

Bubbles

Fine margins.

We made one real mistake and got punished. Overall I can see improvement but we still play out from the back and in our own half a little too much. That said Lawrence, Marriott and Martin all had chances which just didn’t go for us, it’s not like we didn’t create anything, for an away performance, we did more than enough to get something from the game.

The only real concern is converting chances away by being more clinical and perhaps a bit more direct sometimes.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Unpopular opinion: Marriott is not good enough. Had countless chances he’s missed this season 

Im with you. We havent got any striker. This is why 2 up top bugs me. I wouldnt be a massive fan of it if we had pele and maradona. 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Considered thoughts

we never should have lost that game! 

Dreadful error by Bogle who had a good game attacking wise

red dogs are not very good - especially for a team at home 

this is such poor league this season where any of the top 16 could get promoted 

Couldn’t agree more, our opportunity will arise. 
The 1 goal in the game was a huge slice of fortune on their part. 
We should’ve come away with at least a point, but our current misfortune has to come to an end soon...... surely ??????????????????

2 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Who has been crying for 2 up top? Certainly not me. Football has progressed from the 90s. We lost, 1-0. Cant get much weaker. Forward line up? 1 of marriott, waghorn or martin, doesn't really matter. 5 in midfield. 

We didn’t lose a midfield battle today and we didn’t lose because we had two up top though so what’s your point?

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Arsenal sometimes, half of the teams in Italy including Inter, Napoli and Juventus, Atl Madrid... to name just a few. 

Arsenal??. Juve dont, cant say about the others. Top teams dont though. 

20 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

You sort of have to wonder what would have happened if Clarke hadn't been injured and/or Yates had been sent off.

I think Yates should certainly have gone. Two footed and straight through Clarke. That was a potential career ender. As it is, the way that Clarke's foot was twisted through 90 degrees, it looks to me like it's knee ligaments. That means out till Feb if medial or for a year if it's anterior. A lot of injustice that a player can do that sort of damage and not even get booked.

Lawrence should also have gone. That was a really poor studs up challenge. 

To be fair i thought we looked ok away from home for a change, Forest created very little although the first 15 mins of the second half they did up there tempo only for us then to gift them a goal.

Strange decision again by Cocu to put Beilik back in to defence as i thought he was outstanding in the first half and to be fair Martin offers us nothing the way we play one or two nice touches then he just ambles around we cannot afford to carry a luxury player at present this season is a real battle and were in the wrong half of the table at present

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

We didn’t lose a midfield battle today and we didn’t lose because we had two up top though so what’s your point?

We didnt win or draw. They were terrible and we lost. Not enough meaningful possesion in midfield. Shinnie and evans aint exactly generals are they. Martin and Marriott didnt touch the ball 99% of the game. 

I just can't accept the mistake was just one of those things. 

Derby are full of these suicidal passes. We do loads of them. Bielik, Malone, Davies, Clarke now Bogle... 

It's not just a lapse in concentration or a lack of quality, surely? 

Could it not be the sheer amount of work we put our backline through? The press we ask them to pass through? 

When we go away and face a higher press we struggle. As tiredness sets in we make more errors

At home, given a little more time by an opponent who's less aggressive in pursuit of the full 3 points it works better. 

The Bogle error is how we have been playing. Not an isolated event. 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The formation didn’t change. It was always 442

I see your edit, so good to see you recognise the formation did change. It definitely did - Lawrence moved away from the wing into a more central position. 

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

Atletico Madrid aren't a top team? That's an.... interesting opinion.

Liverpool, city, spurs, bayern, juve, barca, madrid play 1. One. Uno. Im checking athletico in a second because i cant imagine tgey play 2 under simeone. 

Just now, Alpha said:

Derby are full of these suicidal passes. We do loads of them. Bielik, Malone, Davies, Clarke now Bogle... 

Could it not be the sheer amount of work we put our backline through? The press we ask them to pass through? 

When we go away and face a higher press we struggle. As tiredness sets in we make more errors

At home, given a little more time by an opponent who's less aggressive in pursuit of the full 3 points it works better. 

Maybe consistent passing sideways and back instead of smashing it up? Although I though we had some good one touch stuff today and a bit more forward purpose. 

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think Yates should certainly have gone. Two footed and straight through Clarke. That was a potential career ender. As it is, the way that Clarke's foot was twisted through 90 degrees, it looks to me like it's knee ligaments. That means out till Feb if medial or for a year if it's anterior. A lot of injustice that a player can do that sort of damage and not even get booked.

Lawrence should also have gone. That was a really poor studs up challenge. 

To be fair to Lawrence he had already ridden two tackles and was stretching for the ball. A definite foul and yellow but it wasn’t a malicious intended foul like Yates was. Darren England bottled it, it should have been a straight red.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Nailed it. Sometimes the "individual" errors are actually structural ones. 

Thought we were very ordinary today which is better than we have been but still far from a decent side. People go on about us having a mish mash of other managers players,I wonder how many of the current squad cocu would keep if he could pick 11 of his own players.I suspect maybe only 1 or 2 would make that side.

30 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

You sort of have to wonder what would have happened if Clarke hadn't been injured and/or Yates had been sent off.

Bielik's drive would have made us a better team. He's a donkey at times but he's a proper midfielder. 

Can definitely forgive mistakes when a player is taking responsibility and trying the right things. 

He also doesn't ball watch when defending. 

I was hoping Evans or Wisdom would go CB. Bielik stole more yards in his time in midfield than Evans and Shinnie managed for the rest of the entire game. 

He can't play CB. As well suited as he is, if he plays CB then his absence in midfield means we need someone like him at CB!! 

With him at DM I think we can get away with a lesser CB if you know what I mean? 

He's the key to taking pressure off the backline. Donkey errors included.

Just now, Xlor said:

Liverpool, city, spurs, bayern, juve, barca, madrid play 1. One. Uno. Im checking athletico in a second because i cant imagine tgey play 2 under simeone. 

They switched this season because of the arrival of Felix but for years they've had 2 up top. Here's an interesting article from last season about how the majority of the teams teams in the Prem are actually switching to a 4-4-2 or at least a variant of it, so it appears you're a bit off the mark.

Also I'm not sure why it matters to us what system or formation teams in the Champions League play, their players are on a completely different level to ours. If we had some of the wingers those teams have at their disposal then I'd be inclined to agree with you but at the moment our wide players are dreadful.

Archived