Forest (A) Match Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Van Gritters said:

It said in the changing rooms at the Baseball Ground, “the biggest crime in football is giving the ball away “.

I think today a capital offence took place.

It was a poor error but suggesting it to be a crime worthy of the death sentence may be a slight exaggeration 

??

Disappointing result but a performance with promising signs. 

Firstly I won't dwell on the Beilik, Evans positions. Cocu got this wrong for reasons I've already mentioned. 

First half we did well especially before the Clarke injury, Forest are on a good run and sit just off the top spaces so to go their ground and look comfortable and the more dangerous side is good progress. 

However we came out half asleep in the second half, you've got to be switched on for the full 90 mins, our passing really started to struggle and we stopped moving. Then came the inevitable defensive error, Bogle had a decent game but that was a huge duck up. Even my 10 year old knows not to put it back across the face of goal when your under pressure, I'm sure Jayden knows this too so not sure why he went for this option. 

We improved in the latter stages of the second half and were in the ascendency for the last 10-15 mins. So there are positives, we need to get that ball in the back of the net though. 

Moving forwards it's obvious that Cocu prefers Beilik to any of our other CB options, which I disagree with but he's the manager. But it makes clear that CB needs strengthening in Jan along with the midfield and wide areas. We lose so much in midfield and defence when Beilik drops back, he's no better defender than Evans or Wisdom and he's our best driving force in the midfield aside from Shinnie, so the effect is doubled when he's moved as we saw today.

The only other disappointment for me as Holmes, he had the odd moment but clearly struggled to get into the game, that said I'm not sure who we have that would be able to play that role till Rooney comes in. 

19 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Possibly, but it wasn’t a formation change for the sake of it as the poster claimed, it was another unfortunate injury.

Why did the formation have to change though? Evans is like for like replacement for Clarke and Bielik just stay in midfield. Absolutely no reason to go to the flat 4-4-2. We don't have the personnel to play a flat 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 really. W should be playing to our strengths and not the strengths of an opponent.

2 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I get you're angry but you are posting some uncharacteristic stuff today.

All we have is DMs. That's the problem. We don't have midfielders who want the ball or who have much attacking flare. Apart from Dowell, who you think is crap. (As do I).

You've listed a load of issues but said nothing about how you would have changed it yourself.

Go longer. The success in the first half was down to some unpredictability from Shinnie and Bielik. Whether it was Bielik turning and driving or some well dropped direct passes it took pressure off the backline and broke the press on Bogle and Lowe. 

At the end when we went direct they dropped off too.

The pressing was awful. Lawrence, Martin, Marriott and Holmes doing a high press and the DM's holding hands with Davies. Probably whispering in his ear how he's far more skillful than them and should be in charge of creativity. 

And if they could even defend well it'd help. Ameobi cutting inside to face.... Curtis Davies and Bielik. 

What the hell do our DM's do? Sell out defenders. That's it

The only exception is Bielik who when he plays there tries the right things. He makes mistakes but most are acceptable based on him trying to create a mid-field. 

I get Cocu wants to build towards a possession comfortable side. But to get there he has to keep some sort of result too. 

I mean is our development plan to ask fullbacks to be attackers and CB's to be playmakers until we get some proper midfielders?

There is often no point to either 1 or 2 of the DM's he uses. All they do is pack is in to our own third. 

I'm no hoofball fan but you won't play through opponents with Curtis Davies. So you surely have to make an opponent think of what's behind them? Don't just let them worry about how to press our back 4

9 minutes ago, Xlor said:

No. Id favour 2 wide players though. Just not those 2. Id fancy flooding the midfield too. 2 up top is out of date im afraid. What next , an inside left and a sweeper? 

Arsenal sometimes, half of the teams in Italy including Inter, Napoli and Juventus, Atl Madrid... to name just a few. 

Just now, Alpha said:

Go longer. The success in the first half was down to some unpredictability from Shinnie and Bielik. Whether it was Bielik turning and driving or some well dropped direct passes it took pressure off the backline and broke the press on Bogle and Lowe. 

At the end when we went direct they dropped off too.

The pressing was awful. Lawrence, Martin, Marriott and Holmes doing a high press and the DM's holding hands with Davies. Probably whispering in his ear how he's far more skillful than them and should be in charge of creativity. 

And if they could even defend well it'd help. Ameobi cutting inside to face.... Curtis Davies and Bielik. 

What the hell do our DM's do? Sell out defenders. That's it

The only exception is Bielik who when he plays there tries the right things. He makes mistakes but most are acceptable based on him trying to create a mid-field. 

I get Cocu wants to build towards a possession comfortable side. But to get there he has to keep some sort of result too. 

I mean is our development plan to ask fullbacks to be attackers and CB's to be playmakers until we get some proper midfielders?

There is often no point to either 1 or 2 of the DM's he uses. All they do is pack is in to our own third. 

I'm no hoofball fan but you won't play through opponents with Curtis Davies. So you surely have to make an opponent think of what's behind them? Don't just let them worry about how to press our back 4

TBH we didnt deserve to lose , and roos didnt have much to do compared to samba

4 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Havent got one. I see footballers and not donkeys now. 2 up front isnt the way though?

People have been crying out for ages to play Martin and Marriott up top and you want to scrap it after 2 games, one of which we won. Interesting.

Post your suggested forward line if 2 up top isn't the solution in your eyes. Whatever you suggest will be significantly weaker than what we set up with today considering we literally don't have a single consistent, capable winger in the entire squad.

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Why did the formation have to change though? Evans is like for like replacement for Clarke and Bielik just stay in midfield. Absolutely no reason to go to the flat 4-4-2. We don't have the personnel to play a flat 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 really. W should be playing to our strengths and not the strengths of an opponent.

The formation didn’t change. It was always 442

Considered thoughts

we never should have lost that game! 

Dreadful error by Bogle who had a good game attacking wise

red dogs are not very good - especially for a team at home 

this is such poor league this season where any of the top 16 could get promoted 

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

You don’t need pace to get in behind, your turning the defenders, Marriott did it once in the first half I think, that was it.

Exactly. 

You just need a reason to stop an entire team pressing you. You don't need a 22 year old Theo Walcott to skip a pass out. 

Don't even have to do it often. But after an hour of the same repetitive pattern I think Forest figured there was very little danger in pressing our defence.

Unlike parts of the first half where the direct ball caused uncertainty even though it was not used a great deal. Got Bogle and Lowe up the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Unpopular opinion: Marriott is not good enough. Had countless chances he’s missed this season 

Totally agree with you you are right, its a very unpopular opinion 

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Maybe he doesn’t trust Evans at the back, he seems to want the CBs to be able to bring the ball out, that’s why I think he changed it. 

Your right though, we haven’t got the players to ply the formation he wants, at the moment he is probably tearing his hair out as every time he tries to get a settled team and formation something out of his hands goes wrong.

Just now, lrm14 said:

People have been crying out for ages to play Martin and Marriott up top and you want to scrap it after 2 games.

Post your suggested forward line if 2 up top isn't the solution in your eyes. Whatever you suggest will be significantly weaker than what we set up with today considering we literally don't have a single consistent, capable winger in the entire squad.

Who has been crying for 2 up top? Certainly not me. Football has progressed from the 90s. We lost, 1-0. Cant get much weaker. Forward line up? 1 of marriott, waghorn or martin, doesn't really matter. 5 in midfield. 

Archived