Wigan Athletic (H) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Tbf I’m never happy with a team sheet, but im proper pissed off with that one tonight. Especially when the only change is Martin and that’s not even for another striker.

Why not wait to see what Cocu says after the game, might not be 100%, could have been ill, injured, a number of other reasons?

Being pissed off before a ball has been kicked, bit weird. 

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

Why not wait to see what Cocu says after the game, might not be 100%, could have been ill, injured, a number of other reasons?

Being pissed off before a ball has been kicked, bit weird. 

If he’s any of those things then he shouldn’t be on the bench either imho. I’m just fed up of this squad of players frankly, all you want from a football team is for them to at least put the work in. It’s a basic expectation.

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Martin dropped is the only change

Not sure how Martin is dropped instead of Waghorn, hope Waghorn makes me eat my words!

Great to see Holmes back in the starting line up, time for a sing song.......sing up!

"But the way I feel just makes me wanna scream.......Duane Holmes, Duane Holmes, Duane Holmes"

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

If he’s any of those things then he shouldn’t be on the bench either imho. I’m just fed up of this squad of players frankly, all you want from a football team is for them to at least put the work in. It’s a basic expectation.

Well I don’t know what you are expecting to see an hour before kick off, have you ever not liked a team and watch them go out and completely dismantle the other side?

Players carrying knocks, not 100% have been making the bench for as long as I’ve known and happens all over whether you agree with it or not. Martin might be perfectly fine and completely tactical decision which could come off. 

Plenty of time to be pissed off after the game and listened to the managers thoughts on why he picked the team if you still feel that way. 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Chris Wilder said something recently after Sheff Utd played Leicester that he doesn't praise effort because it's a normal thing to do, and that is the first time I've ever heard a manager say that. I've always thought effort is the bare minimum requirement, the very least I expect from a professional football player. It's amazing how many fans seem to regard it as almost a praiseworthy trait or characteristic in a player though. Bryson won POTY in his first season because he basically ran around a lot and people thought it was amazing.

Very refreshing to hear someone in the game say the same thing.

8 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Chris Wilder said something recently after Sheff Utd played Leicester that he doesn't praise effort because it's a normal thing to do, and that is the first time I've ever heard a manager say that. I've always thought effort is the bare minimum requirement, the very least I expect from a professional football player. It's amazing how many fans seem to regard it as almost a praiseworthy trait or characteristic in a player though. Bryson won POTY in his first season because he basically ran around a lot and people thought it was amazing.

Very refreshing to hear someone in the game say the same thing.

Exactly, we don’t take a strong enough stance on it imo. You drop players for not putting the work in, not only does it give the message to the outgoing players, but also to the incoming players- you don’t work hard, you’ll be out as quickly as they were. All we do is create a cycle where it seems a lack of effort is acceptable.

2 hours ago, superzak said:

Mount Tomori and Wilson really papered over the cracks of a poor squad last season. Without those three i doubt Frank would have fared any better than Cocu is doing this season.

At a guess Frank's obvious charisma and hard work we're all in together lads might get a bit more juice out the squad in terms of just commitment, but with Frank's continuing "yeah, whatever" defending school of though, we'd probably ship a few and score a lot less.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Well I don’t know what you are expecting to see an hour before kick off, have you ever not liked a team and watch them go out and completely dismantle the other side?

Players carrying knocks, not 100% have been making the bench for as long as I’ve known and happens all over whether you agree with it or not. Martin might be perfectly fine and completely tactical decision which could come off. 

Plenty of time to be pissed off after the game and listened to the managers thoughts on why he picked the team if you still feel that way. 

I’d expect to see players who couldn’t be arsed Saturday not get given the shirt tonight, simply put. Not saying that the side is incapable of wining the match, it’s more about setting a precedent for poor effort and performances. Maybe there’s been something said behind closed doors to them all, I hope so, but I’m still convinced that the far better strategy is to drop those who don’t give 100%. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Exactly, we don’t take a strong enough stance on it imo. You drop players for not putting the work in, not only does it give the message to the outgoing players, but also to the incoming players- you don’t work hard, you’ll be out as quickly as they were. All we do is create a cycle where it seems a lack of effort is acceptable.

You can commit serious offences and walk straight back in too.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I’d expect to see players who couldn’t be arsed Saturday not get given the shirt tonight, simply put. Not saying that the side is incapable of wining the match, it’s more about setting a precedent for poor effort and performances. Maybe there’s been something said behind closed doors to them all, I hope so, but I’m still convinced that the far better strategy is to drop those who don’t give 100%. 

We don’t have this warehouse of 100% fit footballers we can just pick a new one out from and dispose a used one.

Some will have to keep their place because we have no other options.

Hope your manager at work doesn’t have the same mentality, had bad day? Get out. 

The faux outrage on here. So weird.

Anyway, could this potentially be a 3-5-2 tonight? It could well be the same formation as usual with Holmes on the wing, but it could also be...

- - - - - - - - - - - Roos - - - - - - - - - 

- - - - - Davies - Bielik - Clarke - - - -

Bogle - - Holmes - - Shinnie - - Malone

- - - - - - - Lawrence - Paterson - - - - 

- - - - - - - - - - Waghorn - - - - - - - - -

Archived