Wigan Athletic (H) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate Cocu being loyal to his style and way of playing and really hope it starts to come together but there are way to many flaws in the squad and way to many people out of form I think our current strongest team for Saturday would look something like this .

Hamer 

Davies.           Bielik 

Bogle.                Shinnie.            Lowe 

Holmes              Paterson 

Josefzoon.       Martin.          Lawrence 

Hamer

Bogle     Davies      Clarke     Lowe

Holmes    Bielik     Shinnie

Lawrence

Marriott      Waghorn

Marriott and Waghorn scored 43 goals in 17/18 playing mostly in a 2 up front yet I can only remember one 45mins they've done it here

9 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Hamer

Bogle     Davies      Clarke     Lowe

Holmes    Bielik     Shinnie

Lawrence

Marriott      Waghorn

Marriott and Waghorn scored 43 goals in 17/18 playing mostly in a 2 up front yet I can only remember one 45mins they've done it here

Waghorn needs to be dropped, Martin and Marriott would work much better. Clarke and Lawrence should be nowhere near the 11, they are not good enough. Davies is also worrying me, his performance on Saturday was shocking. We miss keogh badly.

16 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Waghorn needs to be dropped, Martin and Marriott would work much better. Clarke and Lawrence should be nowhere near the 11, they are not good enough. Davies is also worrying me, his performance on Saturday was shocking. We miss keogh badly.

I agree, I would also drop those if there were better replacements. Paterson for Lawrence possibly but who else is there to play in CB? Wisdom? and to be fair to Waghorn he's been playing out of position for most of this Derby career 

I'm struggling to decide on Bielik's best position within this team.

• I don't see him as a lone DM as he roams from position which would leave us exposed.
  • If someone else was used at DM, then he wouldn't suit the either of the two advanced CM positions. 
  • If one of two DMs, his partner would be the one doing the dirty stuff (Shinnie), which would leave use with a big gap between the two DMs and the attacking quartet.
  • He lacks the defensive discipline to be one of two CBs
  • Possibly best suited to being in a back 3/5. Something like Bielik, Davies, Evans with Bogle and Lowe/Malone as wing backs). But Cocu seems reluctant to move away from a back 4. Then you have to think about who you'd play at CM...

23 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

Wigan 4th in the table on home form ( including beating the red dogs today), but next to bottom on away results having 1 point and only 3 goals from 6 matches. Overall they are the division’s 2nd lowest scorers.

The game on Wednesday really is a must  win for us

Doesn't help that we are 15th in the home form table though does it. We're crap at home and they are crap away, so boring 0-0 draw it is!

Cinema yesterday (Joker, cracking psychological movie) so missed football and didn’t know Florist lost till catching up on here just now, so despite all the negativity, I have been given a real lift discovering their defeat. Thank you ? 

Lowes first goal for Wigan, 17 last year with Pompey, liked the look of him there. Broken his duck so definitely one to watch, and mark hopefully! 

How come we play Wed now, was pretty well always Tue wasn’t it? Any reason anyone? 

2 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Lowes first goal for Wigan, 17 last year with Pompey, liked the look of him there. Broken his duck so definitely one to watch, and mark hopefully! 

How come we play Wed now, was pretty well always Tue wasn’t it? Any reason anyone? 

Yes because Wigan played on Sunday. That's why we are playing Wednesday 

Archived