Wigan Athletic (H) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

Derby County vs Wigan Athletic

Wednesday 23rd October

19:45 Kick off

This’ll be the 3rd home game of the season which I’ll miss out on - the other two being Brum and Luton. I expect a mass of thankyous at 21:35 on Wednesday ?

The team will be: Roos; Bogle, Davies, Clarke, Malone; Knight, Bielik, Shinnie; Jozefzoon, Martin, Lawrence

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transition year.... Might aswell try stuff, start preparing for next year....

Hamer

Bogle. Davies.  Forsyth.  Lowe

Shinnie

Holmes.         Knight

Marriott.       Martin.       Paterson

If Forsyth isn't ready, maybe Wisdom but I'm sorely tempted to throw Buchanan in until Evans can return.

If Marriott isn't up to it, then Jayden Mitchell-Lawson.

Team for me:

Roos

Wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Holmes Dowell Josefzoon

Martin

Really should be winning this game without any problems. Another defeat here and it starts to become embarrassing with what we have on paper compared to some opposition teams. Wigan’s squad compared to ours is awful, we’ve got to get a win here and show some bloody desire to keep the fans onside. Want to see Bielik and Shinnie providing that shield that they did against Luton again, and a much much improved performance by Davies and Clarke otherwise we’ll have to start thinking of mixing it up in those positions. Would be nice if over the course of the next few days we also developed some slight competency in defending balls into the box as well, but I know that’s too much to ask of these clowns. What we all really want to see is just some bloody energy and fight in the team, battling like they give a duck would be a start. And maybe a little bit more urgency in the passing... surely not too much to ask of a group of pro footballers...

Team will be nothing like this but we need to properly mix it up - need two up front (in the middle) and movement going forwards.  I would love to try:-

Hamer 

Wisdom      Davies      Bielek

Bogle                                                             Lowe

Knight      Shinnie     Holmes

Waghorn/Martin   Lawrence

Id have Marriott in all day if fit (not sure where he is currently)

Bench:

Ravas, Malone, Sibley, Whittaker, Clarke, Mitchell-Lawson, the other of Waghorn or Martin

Hamer

wisdom.   Davies.   Bielik.   Lowe

Shinnie

Holmes.  Knight. Sibley.  

Waghorn.   Martin 

bogle was was poor and needs to understand that he doesn’t just walk back into the team.  Holmes and bielik need to step it up as well. 

1 hour ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

What did Roos do wrong yesterday? Kept us in it first half.

For me it’s not just a case of doing anything wrong in one game.

He’s not bad at shot stopping/one on ones but he gives absolute zero confidence to the team when defending set pieces. Also his distribution can be awful. The amount of times he gets caught with the ball and ends up giving away possession.

He has to be the worst keeper we’ve had in many years. 

1 hour ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

What did Roos do wrong yesterday? Kept us in it first half.

He wasn’t any worse than the others, but we need to shake this group up. He might just be unlucky. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Hamer

wisdom.   Davies.   Bielik.   Lowe

Shinnie

Holmes.  Knight. Sibley.  

Waghorn.   Martin 

bogle was was poor and needs to understand that he doesn’t just walk back into the team.  Holmes and bielik need to step it up as well. 

Bogle hasn’t looked fit since he came back.

That should be obvious to the coaching staff.

Wisdom’s not the answer though. Would revert to Lowe and Malone.

Would love to see Sibley and Knight together. At least they’d have a go. 

I really really really hate the 4-2-3-1. It’s hindering our forward passing options. Especially when you have Waghorn playing up front when we’re in possession. Bogle was sold down the river yesterday. 

There’s no pattern of play either which needs developing. With Waghorn drifting inside and Dowell tending to drift out towards the right whenever he’s played I wonder if this is an avenue to explore. 

Move Paterson to the left wing, Lil Duane left-side of a midfield three, Bielik holding. 

Archived