Wigan Athletic (H) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

I just cant see where the goals are coming from at the moment. 

Put in a good finisher in Marriott and there is no supply.  Put in someone who can hold up play much better in Martin and there's no-one running on to supply to.

The issue is clearly midfield/wing at the moment and until that its sorted its a long old season.  Only positive is anyone can beat anyone at the moment and we aren't far from the playoffs. 

Wouldn't be surprised if tonight was a 1-0 either way....

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/10/2019 at 13:56, lukedcfc said:

Waghorn needs to be dropped, Martin and Marriott would work much better. Clarke and Lawrence should be nowhere near the 11, they are not good enough. Davies is also worrying me, his performance on Saturday was shocking. We miss keogh badly.

You Sir! speak far too much plain sense for this Forum. The Martin-Marriott issue reminds me of the England team led by Glen Hoddle when he brilliantly worked out that diminutive 19 year old Michael Owen was good enough and picked him to play upfront in spite of the fact that only 18 million England fans had been crying out for Owen for only several weeks beforehand. Now get out of here! 

On 21/10/2019 at 14:22, DCFClks said:

I agree, I would also drop those if there were better replacements. Paterson for Lawrence possibly but who else is there to play in CB? Wisdom? and to be fair to Waghorn he's been playing out of position for most of this Derby career 

Yep...Wisdom can play CB. He did so for Salzburg and did very well. If I were Cocu I would be moving into experimental mode and trying such things. I would also get that young, black winger in with the double-barrelled name. They do say the definition of madness is continuing to do the same things and expecting a different outcome! So why persist with something that doesn’t work?!! 

I am one of the most loyal people on the planet ? but I’m not sure that my sense of footballing aesthetics can stand too many more games of “schide-waysche-ball-&-back-to-Roosche”. Come on Phillip , be brave! 

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

As work drags on and the day slowly passes by, I'm getting more and more excited about tonight,

Everytime I've listened to radio Derby we've lost or drew - So I'll make sure it isnt on tonight..

COYR

Me too! Yet I never gave  the game the slightest thought this morning as I put my football coat in the car....Lets hope the players are “up for it”! 

I will never not go to a home game, matter how poorly we have performed in games previously. But after witnessing the game against Charlton,  I don't feel any excitement or enthusiasm for the game tonight. Something I haven't felt about a Ram's game for a long time.

Hopefully the team can put in a performance, that will raise my spirits and give me back that buzz I usually have when watching the Rams.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Data is scanty - but from what I can google, it looks like last seasons average was 26,850 and so far this season we are at 26,978.

I'd call that statistically identical........?

Only Leeds and Forest above us. Could be far worse - third rate teams like Boro are averaging less than 20k

9 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I will never not go to a home game, matter how poorly we have performed in games previously. But after witnessing the game against Charlton,  I don't feel any excitement or enthusiasm for the game tonight. Something I haven't felt about a Ram's game for a long time.

Hopefully the team can put in a performance, that will raise my spirits and give me back that buzz I usually have when watching the Rams.

I hope so too for all Rams fans attending the game. 

I'd like to see a bit of fight and proper team spirit, meaning no one is alone in attack or defence. 

I want to see more sprinting and less jogging. 

Also, more than anything else, players who take responsibility by sticking to defensive duties, demanding the ball with positive intent and shooting when they get the opportunity. 

In short doing what they are paid for ?

Archived