Wigan Athletic (H) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

Blimey. Cant you let it go?

Not spoken about it for about 3 weeks personally. Just can't be good for setting standards amongst the squad. Which was the point of someone's post.

Soz for bringing it up. 

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Norman said:

You can commit serious offences and walk straight back in too.

Yep, and for players who’ve done nothing wrong as well. Wonder why we never really built on that performance against Birmingham... 

So far this season, we’ve basically shown that if you play well, it doesn’t matter cause you might still be dropped for someone who doesn’t deserve their place, and if you don’t try, it doesn’t matter cause you’ll get another chance.

7 minutes ago, David said:

We don’t have this warehouse of 100% fit footballers we can just pick a new one out from and dispose a used one.

Some will have to keep their place because we have no other options.

Hope your manager at work doesn’t have the same mentality, had bad day? Get out. 

Not saying we dispose of any of them, we’ve got enough players in the squad to rotate at least 3/4 out today. No reason they can’t earn their place back, but they’ll have to do exactly that- earn it. Which with some, not all but some, is not the case at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

At a guess Frank's obvious charisma and hard work we're all in together lads might get a bit more juice out the squad in terms of just commitment, but with Frank's continuing "yeah, whatever" defending school of though, we'd probably ship a few and score a lot less.

Thought this earlier - our players have only ever really got on board with Mac and then Lampard -  most of the time they just seem disinterested from the off or lose interest quickly. Seems like the man we need at the helm is someone who is matey with the squad.  Anyone stand off-ish gets the response Big Phil is currently getting.  I'm all for giving him time but I think to get anything out of this squad he's not the man we need, maybe its good that he will in all eventuality dismantle what we have now. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Not saying we dispose of any of them, we’ve got enough players in the squad to rotate at least 3/4 out today. No reason they can’t earn their place back, but they’ll have to do exactly that- earn it. Which with some, not all but some, is not the case at the moment. 

Again, until we’ve heard from Cocu you don’t know that we have.

Seen it so many times over the years, could have played x x x x, turns out a stomach bug KO’d a bunch the night before but it’s kept quiet until after the game.

We don’t play great, lose, Cocu didn’t have any selection issues be pissed off, but jeeez, just wait a couple of hours because you just don’t know what’s happened or going to happen.

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The faux outrage on here. So weird.

Anyway, could this potentially be a 3-5-2 tonight? It could well be the same formation as usual with Holmes on the wing, but it could also be...

- - - - - - - - - - - Roos - - - - - - - - - 

- - - - - Davies - Bielik - Clarke - - - -

Bogle - - Holmes - - Shinnie - - Malone

- - - - - - - Lawrence - Paterson - - - - 

- - - - - - - - - - Waghorn - - - - - - - - -

That's 3-6-1 ? 

Just now, David said:

Again, until we’ve heard from Cocu you don’t know that we have.

Seen it so many times over the years, could have played x x x x, turns out a stomach bug KO’d a bunch the night before but it’s kept quiet until after the game.

We don’t play great, lose, Cocu didn’t have any selection issues be pissed off, but jeeez, just wait a couple of hours because you just don’t know what’s happened or going to happen.

But we do know who’s on the bench, and There’s enough options to make a few changes. And I don’t believe for a second everyone there isn’t fit to start. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

But we do know who’s on the bench, and There’s enough options to make a few changes. And I don’t believe for a second everyone there isn’t fit to start. 

And you don’t know why they are on the bench, we know Marriott won’t be 100% match fit has he hasn’t played for a while.

Could be a number of other niggles on there that they don’t want to risk. We don’t have a big squad and with the youngsters playing last night in Europe we have even less options.

Is a couple of hours really too long to wait?

Not going tonight as I’m away, quite looking forward to living in blissful ignorance, where I can tell myself the players won’t be booed for keeping possession or ironically cheered when doing something well.

Shame I had a read of this thread really as I could also have lived in blissful ignorance that there weren’t muppets moaning about the team selection despite the fact we have our worst squad ever or something and therefore one would assume no other options. Silly me.

Two good Derby tackles in a row see the ball ricochet to a Wigan player in a more advanced position; they move forward and win a corner after another fortunate Derby tackle.

The corner is then headed into the air; went to the far post - the second header falls into Roos arms.

Today is not the day that we competently defend corners.

5 minutes ago, David said:

And you don’t know why they are on the bench, we know Marriott won’t be 100% match fit has he hasn’t played for a while.

Could be a number of other niggles on there that they don’t want to risk. We don’t have a big squad and with the youngsters playing last night in Europe we have even less options.

I get Marriott, but all of them? No way, cocus far too cautious (rightly so) with injuries for that. A couple of hours doesn’t matter, because the point isn’t about the quality of the team, it’s about setting the right precedent. Team can win tonight, I’ll be delighted, but it still won’t be the right precedent imo. Cause they’ll just do it again in a game or twos time, as they’ll get complacent again.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Two good Derby tackles in a row see the ball ricochet to a Wigan player in a more advanced position; they move forward and win a corner after another fortunate Derby tackle.

The corner is then headed into the air; went to the far post - the second header falls into Roos arms.

Today is not the day that we competently defend corners.

I was more succinct......

Wigan almost work a player in behind our defense. Not through passing it, but allowing our defenders to miskick it 3+ times so it slowly pinballs backwards ? 

Lawrence cuts in and works an opening for a shot; pushed wide for a corner by Marshall. My RamsTV feed is stuttering ?

Corner goes to the first man, without getting off the ground.

"COME ON" man declares his attendance. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Most amusing that you are criticising people for posting their opinions...you should become a turkey and tell people it's Xmas!?

Persobaly think it's fair enough before the game starts to say you don't like the look of the team, or suggest you would have picked different players? Otherwise at end of the game when you express your opinion people come on and say hindsight is an amazing thing and you weren't saying that before the game!

Can't get there tonight so making do with Sky...I will trot out a cliché I think is fair comment 'must win game'.  

Archived