Wigan Athletic (H) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Bogle hasn’t looked fit since he came back.

Would love to see Sibley and Knight together. At least they’d have a go. 

Agreed - he didn’t look fit. Unfortunately he didn’t look too bothered either. I can’t remember him trying to go down the line too often. It was easier to drift inside or play crab-ball. 

Agreed - knight is probably the best footballer we’ve got.

Agreed - sibley has a never say die will to win......and a left foot. 

another right back should have been one of the summer targets. we knew wisdom was injured, and Andre  is another rowett buy anyway - for whom the ability to play is less important than brute force and physique. He therefore probably doesn’t fit in the long term. The lack of an alternative right-back is hampering us if he still isn’t fully fit. (He seemed to be limping. Surely not playing with a broken metatarsal? Nothing would surprise me this season.)

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Agreed - he didn’t look fit. Unfortunately he didn’t look too bothered either. I can’t remember him trying to go down the line too often. It was easier to drift inside or play crab-ball. 

Again though, he had nobody to pass to. Waghorn was playing up front when we had the ball. He was 2 v 1 all game and his only passing option happened to be to left of him. 

Delighted this game is midweek. No matter what, the players will be hurting just as much as we are. Sooner we get a chance to shake it off the better. 

i don’t want to second guess the team but we need Duane in there to give us a much needed edge. What is Marriott fitness status ? 

I see Sibley being mentioned. He is a lose cannon and has a lot to learn, but if anyone has desire then it’s him. I’d have him on the bench.

Please please Phil .. we don’t need 2 holders in front of the back 4 especially at home. 

got to win this, got to show some metal and some style. The natives are getting restless

Come on Derby 

19 minutes ago, jono said:

Delighted this game is midweek. No matter what, the players will be hurting just as much as we are. Sooner we get a chance to shake it off the better. 

i don’t want to second guess the team but we need Duane in there to give us a much needed edge. What is Marriott fitness status ? 

I see Sibley being mentioned. He is a lose cannon and has a lot to learn, but if anyone has desire then it’s him. I’d have him on the bench.

Please please Phil .. we don’t need 2 holders in front of the back 4 especially at home. 

got to win this, got to show some metal and some style. The natives are getting restless

Come on Derby 

Marriott should be fit - just don't let him train before Wednesday! 

Sibley will be in European action Tuesday evening so unlikely (much as I'd like to see it.)

Just now, CornwallRam said:

Not sure whether Wigan beating Forest is funny or a bit worrying.

Just shows with the Championship an out of form team can beat an inform team any time. We might be in for a result then Wednesday then ?

12 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Not sure whether Wigan beating Forest is funny or a bit worrying.

That was Wigan at home, the Dr Jekyll side of Wigan, which should have little to no bearing on their Mr Hyde away form
To add to that graphic I posted earlier, their home and away form since the start of the 2018/19 season is:
At home: 29 games, 15 wins, 9 draws, 5 losses (54 points of possible 87)
Away: 29 games, 2 wins, 6 draws, 21 losses (12 points of possible 87)

Even so, if we win on Wednesday I will ignore this when mocking my Forest friends

5 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

Wigan 4th in the table on home form ( including beating the red dogs today), but next to bottom on away results having 1 point and only 3 goals from 6 matches. Overall they are the division’s 2nd lowest scorers.

The game on Wednesday really is a must  win for us

They’re won twice away in the championship since coming back in August 2018. 

On 20/10/2019 at 10:34, Millenniumram said:

Team for me:

Roos

Wisdom Davies Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Holmes Dowell Josefzoon

Martin

Really should be winning this game without any problems. Another defeat here and it starts to become embarrassing with what we have on paper compared to some opposition teams. Wigan’s squad compared to ours is awful, we’ve got to get a win here and show some bloody desire to keep the fans onside. Want to see Bielik and Shinnie providing that shield that they did against Luton again, and a much much improved performance by Davies and Clarke otherwise we’ll have to start thinking of mixing it up in those positions. Would be nice if over the course of the next few days we also developed some slight competency in defending balls into the box as well, but I know that’s too much to ask of these clowns. What we all really want to see is just some bloody energy and fight in the team, battling like they give a duck would be a start. And maybe a little bit more urgency in the passing... surely not too much to ask of a group of pro footballers...

That's a shocking team 

Archived