Can Cocu Do It?

AndyB

14 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

KEEP THE FAITH ! ............we will come through this , In Cocu we trust 

Don't mind a bit of that at all. But I echo some of the other comments in that really there should be some evidence of a few basics being assimilated on view. We looked very easy to play round/through at the back, but when the ball went forward there seemed to be very large gaps between our players so very difficult to create any pressure and chances.

There looks to be a LOT of work to do is all I am taking from those highlights.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i reckon he can do it, just needs time to implement his own tactics, style of football and to get players in that he wants, don't get me wrong we've not started amazing at all, far from it, but on the other hand we've only lost 3 games at this point (even after the booze brigade lap of honour, losing Keogh and top loanies from last season going back to their parent clubs) which is a lower amount than a few teams ahead of us in the table, just need that click to turn these draws into wins and we'll be laughing.. all the way to Wembley heartbreak again

I keep thinking about Cocu's first season at PSV. I can't help but think that had you got your average PSV fan on the 7th December 2013 and said to them that Cocu would get them to 4th in the league that season that they would look at their position 4 points above the relegation zone, look at their 1 win and 6 losses in their last 9 games, and look at the 6 goals they'd just shipped at home to Vitesse Arnheim and they would call you mad. If you'd followed that up by telling them he'd get them the league title the following season with a record of 29 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses they would probably call the men with the white coats. 

I'm not saying he will absolutely, without a doubt, be a success here, but when the success that his reputation is built upon required time and patience then he surely has to be given the same time and patience for there to be any chance of him replicating it here.

Not sure whether PC can do it or not but I think he needs time.

I didn't see tonight (or Sat against Charlton) but I gather we've been awful and I believe people when they say that.

But, as I've said before, fans are happy to sign up to a mid-table season before a ball is kicked but soon protest when the reality of that becomes apparent.

Cocu has been here for 3 months. He came in half way through pre-season, most likely had minimal input into signings (I doubt he was spending the early summer watching videos of Bielik at Charlton), has had to contend with injuries in pre-season and since with the likes of Keogh and Huddlestone, off-field controversy and a thoroughly mid-table squad. He at least deserves more than half a transfer window and 12 weeks in the job.

Plus Lampard's tenure has been a bit exaggerated: we got to 6th by a good run at the end of the season - including goals in the 92nd and 98th mins against QPR in a must win game - and the fact that Boro lost 5 straight games in Feb/March. We did well, no doubt, but it wasn't all as rosey as it appears.

This is a rebuild job, and mid-table is fine for that purpose this season. Take the rough with the smooth and look at the long-term.

COYR

When you build your own house you go through a whole range of emotions, the excitement at the architects plans, planning permission comes in and everything is great.

You start working on the foundations, buying materials and then the issues start creeping in, problems which you didn’t account for, the cost of the build starts to go up. You go through days where nothing happens due to bad weather, look around and feel like no progress is being made, but it is, little things are going on that may not be so obvious at first look.

Exactly what we are experiencing now with Cocu and Derby, Saturday was a write off, bad weather, today was one of those days where you look around and think nothing has really been done but it has and we’re another step closer.

It’s a long process, one that takes time, you’re not going to see the finished result after 13 games, you have to be patient, understand that some days will feel like nothing has happened. We’re in the early stages of the Cocu build, couple of transfer windows will allow him to start to give you something where you can really start to visualise what the finished build will look like.

Or, you kick the building team out, appoint a new architect and start to remove some of the work already done and build in a different direction.

He got 20 points in his first 16 games at PSV... then got 448 in his next 204. A rough start at a club is a staple of his managerial career so far, in all 3 roles he's had, but the one instance in which he got time to implement his philosophy fully was a roaring success. Doesn't mean he'll definitely succeed here, but let's allow him the time to get through this process. He's clearly intelligent, I'm sure he'll work something out 

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

If anyone has any doubts, just listen to any of his interviews, including the one tonight after Wigan.

This guy knows what he's doing.

It may not be a very strong squad just now, but give Cocu the chance to mold it his way.

Things will come good. COYR ?

link?

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

If anyone has any doubts, just listen to any of his interviews, including the one tonight after Wigan.

This guy knows what he's doing.

It may not be a very strong squad just now, but give Cocu the chance to mold it his way.

Things will come good. COYR ?

The thing to note from the post-Wigan interview is where he talks about not wanting us to take too many touches and be nervous of making a mistake, because that leads to mistakes.

It sort of shows that he's aware of the problem and it isn't that he's instructing his players to play that way! He's probably just as frustrated as the fans in some way; I hardly think someone who played for Barcelona and the Dutch national team would be happy with the disjointed displays of late. He's trying to impart something here, and that needs time.

9 hours ago, David said:

When you build your own house you go through a whole range of emotions, the excitement at the architects plans, planning permission comes in and everything is great.

You start working on the foundations, buying materials and then the issues start creeping in, problems which you didn’t account for, the cost of the build starts to go up. You go through days where nothing happens due to bad weather, look around and feel like no progress is being made, but it is, little things are going on that may not be so obvious at first look.

Exactly what we are experiencing now with Cocu and Derby, Saturday was a write off, bad weather, today was one of those days where you look around and think nothing has really been done but it has and we’re another step closer.

It’s a long process, one that takes time, you’re not going to see the finished result after 13 games, you have to be patient, understand that some days will feel like nothing has happened. We’re in the early stages of the Cocu build, couple of transfer windows will allow him to start to give you something where you can really start to visualise what the finished build will look like.

Or, you kick the building team out, appoint a new architect and start to remove some of the work already done and build in a different direction.

So the investment that Morris is trying to secure, is that the mortgage? 

The problem is when you think progress is a constant upward line of improvement. It rarely is that way. This season so far is the culmination of all the problems we have been storing up for a while.

We have done remarkably well to be regular challengers for promotion as consistently as we have. Another issue is that we have got into May for the last few seasons without knowing which league we will be in. Any planning has been based on ifs and then changed again by different managers.

Cocu must be frustrated by performances and a distinct lack of form from players. I think he has so far remained impressively calm and despite how bad some would have you believe it is, we sit in a perfectly acceptable place in the league given all the circumstances. 

We played above  our permanent player squad levels with the three top class loanees. We needed three more top class loanees and did not get them. So we are not as good as last year. We cannot buy replacements for those three so we need more quality loanees at Xmas. Hopefully Wayne makes up for one of last year's loanees. Onwards and upwards. Cocu can get us promoted next season barring a Rooney masterclass this season ? COYR

53 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Aren't we only 3 points behind where we were last season?

Yeah, we were on 21 points at this stage of last season
If you compare it game-by-game, so comparing the fixtures we've played so far this season with the same fixtures last season, we're only 1 point behind.

21 hours ago, David said:

If the build get's behind schedule, we could always pull it back near the end, when the roof is ready to go on.  We can just get all the players to spend a night on the tiles!  

Archived