Can Cocu Do It?

AndyB

19 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Football is a very strange game, With hugely strange decisions, Scenario, Cocu leaves end of December, Rooney appointed player-manager in January, Rooney takes us to 6th and last play off place at end of the season, We lose AGAIN in play off final.....Manchester United come a calling, Who'd have thought it....?

This will not happened, United will go for a proven manager next time. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope I am wrong but I fear the gathering anti Cocu feeling could get much worse.

I said in the Luton thread the other week that I thought this Derby team could ship a lot of goals and 

whilst on paper yesterdays team was probably our best 'away' team, the performance only 

confirmed my worst worries.

I think things could get really ugly on November 9th at the sh@tty ground if we get another performance 

like yesterdays !!  It could easily be 5-0 ??

Cocu football style is shocking to watch the worst for along long time.

People call Rowett style I know which was better to watch.

Mel as made a bad call and we will do well to finish mid table. 

We have the worst goalkeeper in the devision he is shocking and how he gets picked  I don't know perhaps being Dutch helps.

We are going knowere no style no passion no football no fight and finally NO IDEA !!!

Still retain complete faith in Cocu. Maybe it’s because I entered this season with reduced expectations (whilst others didn’t). It’s was always going to be a multi-year job and I believe Mel agrees and is behind this sentiment.

I don’t think the Rooney situation has helped, it raised expectations again without him even being here. 

Stick with him and I’m convinced it will reap rewards next season.

I can't believe the general attitude of many on here towards Cocu. Yes, performances haven't been fantastic but it's unfair to blame him almost entirely. 

As others have said, he's inherited a bang average squad which was buoyed last season by three Premier League-quality loanees. He almost certainly had no time to plan transfers in the window, and he's been unbelievably unfortunate with injuries. He's also lost his captain and reliable centre back in Keogh to events beyond his control. 

If he's got a system - playing it out from the back - then I'd rather he and the players be given the time to implement it. Let him have the season and the next couple of transfer windows to build his team in his image. 

Being reactionary and calling for the manager's head after a 3-0 loss to Charlton (an embarrassing result, I agree) is puerile in my opinion. If we are seriously in danger of relegation then I would be forced to change my stance. The truth, though, is that we are far away from that danger. We have just come off the back of a five-game unbeaten run and got a good point at Elland Road. 

Some people need to come to terms with where this team currently is and realign their expectations accordingly. 

Until yesterday, we was unbeaten in 5, and with the state of the team we have, both on and off the pitch, I’d say thats good going . just because we reached playoffs last season that doesn’t mean we’re entitled to reach it again, especially with the lack of quality we have in the squad.

12 minutes ago, Pottig said:

I can't believe the general attitude of many on here towards Cocu. Yes, performances haven't been fantastic but it's unfair to blame him almost entirely. 

As others have said, he's inherited a bang average squad which was buoyed last season by three Premier League-quality loanees. He almost certainly had no time to plan transfers in the window, and he's been unbelievably unfortunate with injuries. He's also lost his captain and reliable centre back in Keogh to events beyond his control. 

If he's got a system - playing it out from the back - then I'd rather he and the players be given the time to implement it. Let him have the season and the next couple of transfer windows to build his team in his image. 

Being reactionary and calling for the manager's head after a 3-0 loss to Charlton (an embarrassing result, I agree) is puerile in my opinion. If we are seriously in danger of relegation then I would be forced to change my stance. The truth, though, is that we are far away from that danger. We have just come off the back of a five-game unbeaten run and got a good point at Elland Road. 

Some people need to come to terms with where this team currently is and realign their expectations accordingly. 

Nobody is blaming him entirely. The issue is, some people think the squad being average means he's entirely devoid of any kind of blame. The only expectation I have for this season is that we are at least competitive in all the games we play. I can name 4 away games where we weren't that off the top of my head.

Cocu isn't getting the most out of the squad.

Just now, Andicis said:

Nobody is blaming him entirely. The issue is, some people think the squad being average means he's entirely devoid of any kind of blame. The only expectation I have for this season is that we are at least competitive in all the games we play. I can name 4 away games where we weren't that off the top of my head.

Cocu isn't getting the most out of the squad.

thats because most of our team are bank!

1 minute ago, Squid said:

thats because most of our team are bank!

The team is average. The performances are below that. A good manager gets the best out of what they have. I'll admit we're not blessed with a top 6 level squad, but losing 3-0 to a side that was in League 1 last year and is low down the form table is hardly a good look. Cocu doesn't get a free pass.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The team is average. The performances are below that. A good manager gets the best out of what they have. I'll admit we're not blessed with a top 6 level squad, but losing 3-0 to a side that was in League 1 last year and is low down the form table is hardly a good look. Cocu doesn't get a free pass.

Mate I agree with you on that statement, I do. 

But we had 3 quality loans that papered over the cracks last year, the year before we had Matej Vydra.

We dont have that type of star player anymore, and it shows!

When Cocu was at PSV he had the time to build, he had the time to bring in players with energy and passion and also ones that wanted to play how he wanted to.

From what I’ve seen so far, compared to what I have seen looking through old videos of PSV, they are different styles of football. I personally feel like he’s playing more defensive because the players aren’t capable of playing how he wants to.

I think this season WILL be a write off, Im happy with that, but january and summer are going to be crucial for the club, and for him.

I think it a been mentioned before on this forum we have the worse squad of players in over a decade however Cocu as to wise up and fast performances away have been utterly dreadful and shipping goals for fun,it was only Leeds bad finising as that would of been another hammering.

We now have Wigan at home and nothing less than 3 points and a better performance will keep the wolves from the door ,a loss against Wigan and this platform will be in meltdown

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Mate I agree with you on that statement, I do. 

But we had 3 quality loans that papered over the cracks last year, the year before we had Matej Vydra.

We dont have that type of star player anymore, and it shows!

When Cocu was at PSV he had the time to build, he had the time to bring in players with energy and passion and also ones that wanted to play how he wanted to.

From what I’ve seen so far, compared to what I have seen looking through old videos of PSV, they are different styles of football. I personally feel like he’s playing more defensive because the players aren’t capable of playing how he wants to.

I think this season WILL be a write off, Im happy with that, but january and summer are going to be crucial for the club, and for him.

Giving someone time to build is fine, but if they're getting regularly thrashed and outclassed, you have to ask when you no longer have faith in them. We can't afford another expensive sacking of a manager after a few months, but Cocu has to step it up, bad squad or not. 

I don't mind a transition season, so long as we are more competitive than we have been. The games against WBA, Swansea etc, those are the kind of games that show the right kind of heart and fight. Yesterday, Brentford, Forest, Leeds away (we got lucky) we've been played off the park and barely created a single chance. 

I can't just do the blind faith thing, or just look at his history and let him off with how poor we've been. 

Let’s also remember that last season we went through a patch where we were poor and had about 2 or 3 shots over the course of 3 games. This came at the same time we lost Mount and his influence on our team cannot be underestimated. We have no Mount and on top have lost Wilson and our player of the year, Tomori. We’ve also lost our captain, Marriott hasn’t been fit yet this season either.

I don’t know how much influence Cocu had on recruitment as he wasn’t here for long when they arrived.  I’d be surprised if he was aware of the likes of Dowell, Paterson, etc prior to his arrival. It’s clear that these recruits are not on the same level as last years - that’s not a criticism considering they’re all now prem and international players.

Unless Cocu is teaching one thing and telling us another there is a clear issue with the players implementing the tactics. He has continually talked about desire and energy but we seem to lack it most games. unless he’s training them to be lethargic, give the ball away and switch off at set plays then I lay more blame at the players than the manager.

I think I’m right in saying his first PSV season wasn’t great but it came good. I can’t think of a game where we’ve dominated, maybe the first one against Huddersfield, and we’ve had some worrying collapses like yesterday but against a backdrop of losing three key players, a short and poor pre-season, injuries to key players it’s hard to be too judgemental on Cocu. 

The transfer window inhibits our chance to change the squad about ...what he has got wrong so far is that he expects these players to play how he wants ..they aren’t good enough ...yesterday we knocked it about well but when we tried to shift it wide to expose the wide areas the wide players didn’t know what to do with it and players like Davies can’t play out from the back ...we asked Holmes to play centre mid when he came in is not what is required ....judge Cocu when he’s got 4 or 5 of his own players in ...Dowell clearly isn’t ....as he obviously doesn’t rate him as he hardly plays....the root of our problems is our recruitment ...it is rubbish ...no foreign scouting knowledge and poor players have been brought in ...Mount Wilson and Temori were not scouted ..get rid of our scouts ASAP that will be a start 

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Giving someone time to build is fine, but if they're getting regularly thrashed and outclassed, you have to ask when you no longer have faith in them. We can't afford another expensive sacking of a manager after a few months, but Cocu has to step it up, bad squad or not. 

I don't mind a transition season, so long as we are more competitive than we have been. The games against WBA, Swansea etc, those are the kind of games that show the right kind of heart and fight. Yesterday, Brentford, Forest, Leeds away (we got lucky) we've been played off the park and barely created a single chance. 

I can't just do the blind faith thing, or just look at his history and let him off with how poor we've been. 

Then you're going to have an exceptionally rough season watching us because he's not a miracle worker. You could put any coach in the world in charge of this squad and they're still going to run into the same problems in the final third of the pitch. We don't have any quality wingers and we don't have any consistent attack-minded midfielders, that's not going to change until either Rooney comes in during January or if Sibley/Whittaker/Knight make the step up. Both options require time.

13 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Then you're going to have an exceptionally rough season watching us because he's not a miracle worker. You could put any coach in the world in charge of this squad and they're still going to run into the same problems in the final third of the pitch. We don't have any quality wingers and we don't have any consistent attack-minded midfielders, that's not going to change until either Rooney comes in during January or if Sibley/Whittaker/Knight make the step up. Both options require time.

We're not just running into issues in the final third, are we? We can't defend. We can't attack. We have a poor midfield. Our ability to stop crosses or set piece is laughable. I don't want a miracle worker, I want someone to get more out of what we have. 

Archived