Can Cocu Do It?

AndyB

9 hours ago, Jayram said:

60% possession with one shot on target

In a nutshell this is it. I don’t care who he played for and who he’s managed, this is just poo. Football is about scoring more than the other team. You need to create chances, passing across the back four does not create chances in the opponents box. Change the style of play or change the person dictating it, this is my opinion of course but at present it’s just boring boring football. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we can all agree that that the recipe for success is to hire the right manager and give him the time and resources to succeed. The problem is that the recipe for disaster is to hire the wrong manager, let him waste your resources and give him too much time.

Which is Cocu? Impossible to say without a time machine. I don't envy Mel in this. If Cocu gets us promoted Mel gets his investment back and is a hero with the fans. If we go down, Mel loses £50m and becomes a hate figure. 

I've alluded to this in previous posts, firing the manager still doesn't do anything to address the malaise from top to bottom at the club, this needs to be rationalised from the top immediately before the collateral fallout of another manager is felt:-

Governance from the top of the club

Poorly executed transfer strategy/inadequate scouting

Scattergun approach to management recruitment and retention 

No blueprint of how to progress us to the next level 

All lie squarely at Mel Morris' door so firing another manager will have the same effect until Morris starts addressing all of the above as a leader.

Personally I don’t think he’s up to it, however this isn’t his squad or team. Make no mistake he hasn’t chosen Paterson or Dowell has he, these are Rosenior’s buys. 
what I will make my final judgement on is this next window and what he does from there on in. I would like to see some foreign talent and maybe some lower league steals, they are out there. 
I don’t like his swapping and changing with Malone and Lowe, mistake to play him yesterday, all this about youth and he’s flip-flopping between the two, needs to get a settled side to gauge more settled results.

so I await January  

13 hours ago, RamNut said:

Cocu will surely be ringing every scout, pleading favours, looking to radically overhaul the team on a minimal budget - george burley style.

even bogle was sloppy and casual today. 

Hopefully we haven't blown our entire budget on wazza.

Word on the street is that "Wazza" is effectively "a freebie", with additional income being raised to accommodate him/his costs.  No Wazza, no increased income.
The budget for any other deals... whatever that figure may be... remains unchanged, one assumes?  

I’d be looking to axe the buffoons who do the recruitment before anything else.

Ten million on Bielik, then bringing in a keeper (to warm the bench) and no extra quality added out wide.

Amateurs 

Scared to death of going overseas too by the looks of it. 

Now is not the time to call it a day with Cocu and his coaching staff. As a Derby supporter of many many years and a football fan to boot, We tend to want jam today and expect the sun to shine on a drab Monday morning and we can skip to work joyfully, Unfortunately it's not all rosey in our garden, Cocu came at a time where all the roses had been pruned, Cut back and ready for a new growth. Mount, Wilson and Tomori went back to their clubs, Cocu had very little time to replace, £8m spent on Beilik, At this time seems a little bit of a gamble, Dowell is struggling, Paterson on a years loan as a squad player, Clarke looks the part but not quite the right fit, Hamer was a quick fix, Word has it that Marriott is a bit of a bad egg and comes and goes as he pleases, Shinnie bought by Lampard spoke to Cocu as to why he's not playing, Martin who nobody wanted looked to be the guest at a wedding that no one wanted to invite, Roos a goalkeeper up until the playoff final looked a half decent keeper, Since then he's looking more like a Sunday morning keeper(imo), Huddlestone and Davies are in their twilight careers and will be gone at the end of this season, Rooney to come along in January, That could be a plus, But i'm not holding my breath.

DCFCs drinking culture, For decades in alot of clubs there's been that culture, Rob Hindmarch, Ted McMinn, Shane Nicholson, George Burley, Andy Garner to name just a very few loved a beer or two in the City centre, One of the above was well known to be involved with an infamous group in Derby.

Now the shananigans of a few weeks back concerning Lawrence, Keogh, Bennett and others, This apparently wasn't their 1st case of a beer tasting festival, It was their 1st time being caught, I am an advocate of sacking them(Keoghs career finished imo), They have bought shame on themselves, Family, DCFC and some supporters, I also understand Derby have financial investments in the 2 players so a sacking could be an unwise choice, We're told they have been accepted back 100% into the fold, Hmmmm have they though, Lawrences performences since the Huddersfield game have been somewhat well below our expectations and yet is picked time and again.

All the above Cocu has to deal with and try and sort out, Not something that I'd have thought he'd have expected when taking on the job, But he's here now and we have to give him this season AND next to show what he can achieve with Derby and a Chairman who will work with him.

"Time is not a great virtue when your a football manager" said Steve Bruce.

On a personal level I quite lie Cocu ,but and it's a big but he doesn't inspire confidence in me and if the players feel the same we're stuffed. Management is a lot about how you carry yourself and project your influence and views especially when the chips are down .

A good manager with make his staff think he can do anything ,a great manager makes them think they can do anything .Also Forest is a big game even if it is the Mickey Mouse Cup. I have a felling he's a bit weak.

Realistically if we want to succeed. We need a complete rebuild from the staff to the players. The scouting teams need axing in favour of scouts who look at England but also look for foreign players in the Netherlands or lower league France. Look at forest. They’re dove into the french market and how much it pains me to say it they’ve found some gems. The coaching team has not had enough time to prove their money yet but there was a time where we looked to improve so they need time. Most players either need to be sold or have their contracts run out and instead of splashing cash on big signings why don’t we try find some players like duane Holmes who is one of the only players who shows heart and desire. Let’s go for players who impress in lower leagues or go abroad. The premier league players are too expensive. The championship players are too expensive and the model were using right now is unsustainable. 

For once I agree with Ed Dawes. We've chopped and changed managers too much recently. Who was the last Derby manager to complete two full seasons in charge? Clough, and most fans agree that the team he built was the best we've had in recent years (refined by the coaching of Maclaren). Another manager comes in (and who exactly would be an upgrade on Cocu at this point?) and they will have a look at the same pish-poor players from scratch all over again.

Cocu needs to step it up. It’s his decision to play two holding midfielders. It’s his decision to go sideways and backwards. It was his decision to pick Lawrence and Bennett before there was even time to flush the sick out of the traps of the urinals.

He really needs to show his mettle and have a good January transfer window. 

15 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

When did we appoint him? Cocu is our manager, so what another manager did has no bearing whatsoever. 

Surely, by accident or design, you're missing the point.

I doubt Carnero is suggesting that just because Farke did it then Cucu automatically will. The point is, it's not unheard of for a new manager (especially a foreign one with little knowledge of the championship) to have a poor first season but then come good.

Let's hope. 

Can Cocu Do It?

Not with the current squad of players.

They are just not good enough to play how he wants to play. Same problem we had with PC.

Its not Philips fault, he's a good manager but we had a disasterous summer and are paying the penalty

And obviously our main problem in defence is the result of short-sighted transfer policy of "making do" with very old centre halfs,

we should have brought in younger replacements/cover for keogh and curtis a year or more ago, instead of bringing in loanees.

The academy obviously has its place in bringing through young players who will do a job for us in the future, but there arent any centre halfs that will be good enough to start regularly in a "top 6" championship side (never mind premier league) for at least 3 or 4 years.

Further forward we have too many players who can only perform against poorer sides or (like in the first half against Huddersfield) back off us and give us loads of time and space on the ball, as soon as teams get in our face and close us down or have any energy and pace/movement we are completely overwhelmed and go to pieces.

Last season we only managed to scrape into the playoffs with Frank in charge and the trio of mount wilson and tomori (who are all now top PL players) in the side

This really shows how ill-equipped our squad is to mount a serious promotion push.

Bielik looks like he could be a good player, but to me looks worryingly ponderous and off the pace, i just hope he is still not quite fit or carrying an injury  and will improve/adapt.

Rooney may or may not give us a quick boost in Jan, but he is only really ever going to be a very temporary  sticking plaster.

I have no idea if this is true but a few weeks ago a mate told me that he'd heard that Rooney is going to be our next manager whenever Cocu leaves. He's definitely not at all itk but if what he's heard turns out to be true, then Cocu has at least till the New Year to try and put things right.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely, by accident or design, you're missing the point.

I doubt Carnero is suggesting that just because Farke did it then Cucu automatically will. The point is, it's not unheard of for a new manager (especially a foreign one with little knowledge of the championship) to have a poor first season but then come good.

Let's hope. 

Design.. However I don’t really see the point as there are probably many examples to counter it. Sir Alex nearly went at one point, so does that mean you never sack a manager in a bed spell?

I don’t follow Norwich in any detail but if they could see what he was trying to do, of course stick with it. You can lose 6 games on the bounce unluckily and still be in a positive mindset. For the record, I don’t subscribe to getting rid of Cocu but we should have seen more from him. If I ain’t got a hammer, I’m not going for the nails. I can keep trying to hammer the nails with a screwdriver but it won’t work. Cocu’s tools can’t play his type of football. How long do you keep trying to do something that is not working? When does he move away from a principle to achieve some results? It’s a difficult one, in some ways he is right to be principled but modern day food does not a afford you time.

6 minutes ago, old ilkestonian said:

I have no idea if this is true but a few weeks ago a mate told me that he'd heard that Rooney is going to be our next manager whenever Cocu leaves. He's definitely not at all itk but if what he's heard turns out to be true, then Cocu has at least till the New Year to try and put things right.

Football is a very strange game, With hugely strange decisions, Scenario, Cocu leaves end of December, Rooney appointed player-manager in January, Rooney takes us to 6th and last play off place at end of the season, We lose AGAIN in play off final.....Manchester United come a calling, Who'd have thought it....?

10 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Design.. However I don’t really see the point as there are probably many examples to counter it. Sir Alex nearly went at one point, so does that mean you never sack a manager in a bed spell?

I'd never sack a Manager lying next to me in bed with a wizards hat on.

11 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Football is a very strange game, With hugely strange decisions, Scenario, Cocu leaves end of December, Rooney appointed player-manager in January, Rooney takes us to 6th and last play off place at end of the season, We lose AGAIN in play off final.....Manchester United come a calling, Who'd have thought 

Now that would be a serious case of deja vu! 

Archived