Can Cocu Do It?

AndyB

I’m a big believer in giving managers time and not rushing into sackings. I would not have sacked any of the managers at the time they were sacked since Nigel Clough. However, I am now beginning to wonder if Cocu will be able to deliver in the English Championship. I haven’t given up yet but I’m not seeing the improvements I was expecting to see. I am all for him having two more transfer windows to generate his own squad but I’m not sure he gets the English Championship and what is required to succeed in it. I hope he proves me wrong.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of “what it takes to succeed in the Championship” is what leads teams to appoint the likes of Bruce, Warnock and McCarthy. 

is Cocu going to be a success with us? I don’t know but he at least needs a season and a half (unless we are in a proper relegation battle) to get players and a mentality. In today’s modern football most fans would have sacked the likes of Farke after season 1. The club needs some stability and managers need time. 

I give you a cheers because it is a topic that needs airing.

like you, sackings after half a season are pointless unless there is a relegation dogfight and a complete loss of harmony.

i think we are a long way from that.

i think he has a lot to learn. The technical standards are not as high as we sometimes think and as he is discovering at some cost.

The counterpoint to that is that I think our players as a whole do not exhibit anything like the degree of fight or fitness that a top championship team needs. We are simply not fiery enough, we too easily go on the back foot and from there the technical shortcomings are more easily exposed. 

Then I begin to wonder about the off field culture. After the events of the last month I think there is a discipline issue. I simply don’t believe the boozegate was a one off. When I think about our inconsistent performances, the infamous post Christmas slumps you can begin to join dots. There is an edge missing from our team far too often when compared to visitors. 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

I give you a cheers because it is a topic that needs airing.

like you, sackings after half a season are pointless unless there is a relegation dogfight and a complete loss of harmony.

i think we are a long way from that.

i think he has a lot to learn. The technical standards are not as high as we sometimes think and as he is discovering at some cost.

The counterpoint to that is that I think our players as a whole do not exhibit anything like the degree of fight or fitness that a top championship team needs. We are simply not fiery enough, we too easily go on the back foot and from there the technical shortcomings are more easily exposed. 

Then I begin to wonder about the off field culture. After the events of the last month I think there is a discipline issue. I simply don’t believe the boozegate was a one off. When I think about our inconsistent performances, the infamous post Christmas slumps you can begin to join dots. There is an edge missing from our team far too often when compared to visitors. 

I totally agree. Our players simply don’t look fit in comparison to those we play against. Out stupid pre-season didn’t help but nor does the drinking culture which undoubtedly exists within the club. The mentality of our players hasn’t been right this season and has looked decidedly dodgy for a few years now. However, surely the job of a manager is to manage these type of problems? I won’t start on defending and taking corners and how any team can be taught how to do these things because my head might explode. 

His first footballing managerial experience in this country.

Joins the club late in pre season

The pre season arranged before he joined was not suitable.

Injuries. Bogle. Holmes. Marriott. Evans. Huddlestone. Keogh..

The recent after hours event. Losing the  captain and our most consistent player for the whole season.

Being left with a team that only just made the play offs last season despite having 3 superb loans.

I am not going to say Cocu has got it all right so far. But you have to take the above into account as none of that is his fault. Would be nice for him to have a run where he can pick a consistent side.

Our first ever foreign manager. Give him time and respect. 

4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

His first footballing managerial experience in this country.

Joins the club late in pre season

The pre season arranged before he joined was not suitable.

Injuries. Bogle. Holmes. Marriott. Evans. Huddlestone. Keogh..

The recent after hours event. Losing the  captain and our most consistent player for the whole season.

Being left with a team that only just made the play offs last season despite having 3 superb loans.

I am not going to say Cocu has got it all right so far. But you have to take the above into account as none of that is his fault. Would be nice for him to have a run where he can pick a consistent side.

Our first ever foreign manager. Give him time and respect. 

This^^.

The loss of Keogh is gonna hurt all season long, the stupid bar steward.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Past few years have followed a pattern. 

Slow ball unsuccessful.

Quick ball successful.

Simples.

Oh yes yes yes. Play it with your first touch. Martin can do it, Malone can do it Marriott can do it. Too many of the others aren’t instinctive enough and don’t pick up on the ones that are 

hey I know .. let’s have a team of M’s ?

38 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

As you say, unless you give him time you will never know.

But where are the signs of improvement? A two week break and we have gone back to a Brentford type performance. Not once this season can we say we have bossed a game or created a hatful of chances etc. The players don’t seem to understand what they are supposed to do. The football is tedious, unproductive and we are going backwards. 

I’m not a big believer in this idea of a style “suited to the division”. Sometimes it can take a little adapting, but I feel any style if implemented properly can be successful in this division- we don’t need an old school English manager. The problem is, whatever style cocu believes will get us out the division, it obviously isn’t being implemented properly- unless he wants to go out the division the other way! Now this may be because he’s struggling to adapt a bit, which is why he still needs a little more time. But it could also be that he’s just not very good. Think it’ll become clear quite which one in time, and if it’s the latter.... well, he goes.

20 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

You did watch Nigel Peason's Derby right?

Fortunately that seems to have been almost entirely erased from my memory. I think my brain decided not to waste any resources on saving the necessary brain cells. 

Archived