Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Happy for him... I’m not too sure. Delighted that we’d won of course, and I celebrate that the same regardless of the fact that TL scored the goals. But I still can’t forgive him and feel happy for him personally after what he did. It’s not something we should just forget about. However, that said, he’s going about his return to the team in the right manner. Since the incident he’s seemed to have worked a lot harder than before, and has put in some good performances to show for it. At least it seems like he cares about fighting for some respect back. And if he continues in this vein, whilst we cannot forget what he’s done, he will win some of my respect back for the way he’s conducted himself in the aftermath. Hopefully he’s a changed man for the better after what’s happened.

He doesn't need your forgiveness. I'm sure he knows what he's done was a serious error of judgement and he will have to carry the responsibility and consequences of his actions probably for the rest of his life.

I've just watched his post-match interview and got the impression he was petrified Gibson was going to ask him some non--footballing questions. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

He doesn't need your forgiveness. I'm sure he knows what he's done was a serious error of judgement and he will have to carry the responsibility and consequences of his actions probably for the rest of his life.

I've just watched his post-match interview and got the impression he was petrified Gibson was going to ask him some non--footballing questions. 

Probably not, but he needs to show that he has changed himself for the better after the event, so he never has any more responsibility like this to carry around again. I’m sure he is worried about non- footballing questions, as he should be really, that’s just one of the consequences he’s got to carry around with him. Far from the worst I’d add.

29 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

He needn’t have worried. Gibson is just a media puppet for the club these days. 

4 hours ago, DRBee said:

A rather selective list of the' greats'  .  Phoney response

Phoney? Baloney?

I could have carried on with dozens, nay, hundreds of footballers who have been great rôle models to followers of the beautiful game but it would not include anyone who has brought themselves, their club, or football itself into disrepute either by their conduct on the pitch, or in their personal lives.

A reputation once tarnished is difficult to clean.

Who do you list as the greats? George Best, Norman Hunter, Lee Hughes.......or someone who just happens to be a valuable member of my favourite team who drives whilst drunk and also nearly kills the captain of said team but instead cuts his career short. 

Now THAT's a phoney response!

37 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

FB995B85-762C-403F-AB41-10D941CACCAA.jpeg.bebe66507486e3adf2b7618486379af4.jpeg

This pic is nearly identical to the one of Marriott at Elland Road.

I think they are just photoshopping the original version again and again. You know that original one? It has Morris and Gibson in it.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'd be amazed if Gibson asked any questions, he hasn't for a long while.

True. He normally makes rambling statements and invites the interviewee to agree.

7 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

He is mortal and is realising that the game is his bread and butter and not something to be handed to him on a plate.

The greats à la Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews, Billy Wright, Bobby Charlton...........
are all remembered by history for who they were and how they conducted themselves on and off the pitch as much, if not more than, for their skills on it. Nuff said!

Think you will find Bobby Moore was no angel if you do your research 

8 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Think you will find Bobby Moore was no angel if you do your research 

yep, none of us is perfect. 

You know what .. he knows he did wrong, has been punished, he has shown remorse.

as we stand now all I care about is that he has learned something, doesn’t do it again and performs on the pitch. 

I am not a judge or a god. So As long as those things are recognised he has my 100% support on the pitch and I’ll shout his name from the rafters if he gives what he gave on Saturday every week. That’s the job and that’s what he should be judged on by us at this moment. 

25 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I read the other day that Marcos Alonso was involved in a drink-driving incident which resulted in a woman passenger being killed! Lawrence is working hard at some kind of redemption. He deserves a second chance, as most people do. 

That is something i didnt know.

Just looked into it :

'Alonso, who was playing for Bolton Wanderers at the time of the incident, was driving at 112.8 km per hour in wet conditions in a zone with a maximum speed of 50 km per hour. The Spaniard was also under the influence and his blood alcohol level was 0.93 mg per millilitre of blood.'

A 22 year old woman was killed and another seriously injured.

This was in 2011, he continued playing and got player of the year for bolton in 2012/2013. He wasnt sentenced until 2016 and his punishment? 61000 euro fine and a 3 yr driving ban which he had already served.

I thought lawrences and bennetts punishments were light but this is ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Happy for him... I’m not too sure. Delighted that we’d won of course, and I celebrate that the same regardless of the fact that TL scored the goals. But I still can’t forgive him and feel happy for him personally after what he did. It’s not something we should just forget about. However, that said, he’s going about his return to the team in the right manner. Since the incident he’s seemed to have worked a lot harder than before, and has put in some good performances to show for it. At least it seems like he cares about fighting for some respect back. And if he continues in this vein, whilst we cannot forget what he’s done, he will win some of my respect back for the way he’s conducted himself in the aftermath. Hopefully he’s a changed man for the better after what’s happened.

When you say 'we' who are you referring to? Last time I checked I didn't require a moral arbiter. I'm quite happy to forgive and forget if Tom continues to go about his work with the relish and commitment he is currently showing. He's looked a changed man in recent games and I'm not sure what else you expect. Sackcloth and ashes perhaps? ?‍♀️

21 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

When you say 'we' who are you referring to? Last time I checked I didn't require a moral arbiter. I'm quite happy to forgive and forget if Tom continues to go about his work with the relish and commitment he is currently showing. He's looked a changed man in recent games and I'm not sure what else you expect. Sackcloth and ashes perhaps? ?‍♀️

I don’t think you understand what I’m saying, or are choosing not to. I quite clearly said he’s gone about things in exactly the right way, and you can’t expect any more than that. But what he did isn’t something that anyone should just write off and forget about. He could easily have killed someone, and to just forget that fact is extremely Disingenuous to the significance of what he chose to do. If you forget the past, it’s destined to repeat itself. So whilst yes he can earn forgiveness by showing he’s a changed man on and off the field, what he did shouldn’t be forgotten about. At least not so soon, anyway.

Whether this has already been said or not, or it belongs in the Keogh thread i dont know but to say that both lawrence and bennett should be sacked like keogh is just silly to me. Although not driving, Keogh is the one with the responsability, he is the captain, the most senior you can get as a player. His first mistake was allowing his players to get so fu**ked, his second was allowing them to miss the club allocating cars then finally and fatally getting in the back of a car with one of them! This is the bloody captain, he should have been the one telling them off and sending them packing with the rest, and he was more than likely in the back of the car being a piss*d up distraction.

Moral compasses aside he can't play football now, tommy can and going off Saturday, pretty well when he wants to! (bennett im not too sure)

For me Lawrence and Bennett need to take the fine and do the community service, their jobs should have no part in it. Absolutely buzzing for him - lock the thread, what drink driving?

Archived