Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, europia said:

Yes in a purely financial context. Sacking them would also hurt the club (financially). I expect Lawrence would be sold if the club could get a couple of million for him. Like Butterfield and Johnson before, we paid well over the odds for a player who hasn't lived up to expectations on the pitch. I imagine Bennett might attract interest from league one clubs, for a token fee. 

you seem to have forgotten europe  transfer window is not open at the moment so they couldnt be sold.I suggest you google footballers jailed you will find theres just 15 in total and not all through drinking and driving. they have both been tried in court and been sentenced that should be the end of it,The future will determine if the punishment was correct or not.So now is the time to end all these stupid remarks,

3 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

I never realised how many  perfect angels supported the Rams.

It's a tricky one though Tommy. I had a proper rant over this exact point a while back but as you've said yourself, walk a mile. Perhaps one or two on here have suffered themselves as a result of a drunk driver's actions or know folk who have. Who knows? Thank God, I'm not in that number but it's not the biggest stretch to imagine a few on here might be. 

For me, I'm with you as I think it's time to let go. It's been a divisive enough issue among us Rams fans already so moving on is definitely an attractive course of action but having thought about this a lot recently, I'm mindful that for some, it may not be that simple.  

Where we are now is we have two youngish lads who have been beyond stupid ,selfish and reckless and the truth is they have had a bit of a touch in terms of it could have turned out far far worse for them with the actual accident and punishment from club and court ,they have been given a chance and what matters now is how they respond to that chance.

in the case of Tom with his loss wrapped around the incident this is a jolt and he has to make very strong choices going forward , he can go off the rails or he can be prepared to do whatever it takes to move forward in a way that would make his mother proud and happy were she still here ,it’s that simple ,I’ve been there as I’m sure lots of us on here have been too , theres always a point where we have to choose to take responsibility,

personaly I put the incident to bed now but with an eye on how or whether they grasp the chance life and the courts and club have given them

9 hours ago, europia said:

The judicial system is subjective and often open to interpretation. Hence different sentences / punishments can be imposed, for similar or identical crimes.

This is a forum where posters contribute their own views / opinions. Does that not suit your agenda??

It is within the guidelines or do you think that these particular people need to be made an example of.  Judgements ignoring guidelines end up rightly in appeal.  My agenda if I have one tends to stay with the facts.

11 hours ago, Owd miner said:

Wa a sack o s****. They played the game very well, top lawyers etc. I bet they are laffing their bo***** of behind closed doors . You say owt ta get off wi it ..been there done it .. cant believe sum folk on here are so gullible...I dont feel sorry fer em one bit. Absolute b******

Each to their own miner, I’m not going to judge you too much and often don’t read your posts as the whole style of writing frustrates me. 

As for your post, I don’t know what else you want as a punishment. The punishment fits the crime, no more no less. 6 weeks fine, no matter what you earn is a hefty chunk of a salary. We have a judicial system where a breach of the law will result in a punishment.

Now hopefully we can all move on as it’s ran it’s course. 

26 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Each to their own miner, I’m not going to judge you too much and often don’t read your posts as the whole style of writing frustrates me. 

As for your post, I don’t know what else you want as a punishment. The punishment fits the crime, no more no less. 6 weeks fine, no matter what you earn is a hefty chunk of a salary. We have a judicial system where a breach of the law will result in a punishment.

Now hopefully we can all move on as it’s ran it’s course. 

Fair enuff mi owd. I respect ya view.. at least ya aint come on giving it some slava like Owd Yorkshire Ram... Hilda's quaking in her boots....

12 hours ago, Owd miner said:

Wa a sack o s****. They played the game very well, top lawyers etc. I bet they are laffing their bo***** of behind closed doors . You say owt ta get off wi it ..been there done it .. cant believe sum folk on here are so gullible...I dont feel sorry fer em one bit. Absolute b******

Each to their own Owd miner fella, personally I'm not going to treat them any differently however that don't mean i'm not disgusted by what they did. 

Will always back everyone who gets on that pitch and gives 110% and if we see them do that then i've got my support.

Cheers mi owd.

as ive posted on here before , one of my best mates is ex Ram Gary Charles , as you may be aware Gary had a terrible few years due to alcohol , he went through all this overpaid footballer , disgusting human being , finger pointing sort of stuff , when actually people didnt know the extent of Garys demons , i think Tom is suffering similar and maybe Mason is as well who knows , what i would say is the whole story is never painted in the public domain , and while im not condoning the actions of Gary , Tom or Mason a little sensitivity to possible problems in players personal lives wouldnt go amiss

53 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

as ive posted on here before , one of my best mates is ex Ram Gary Charles , as you may be aware Gary had a terrible few years due to alcohol , he went through all this overpaid footballer , disgusting human being , finger pointing sort of stuff , when actually people didnt know the extent of Garys demons , i think Tom is suffering similar and maybe Mason is as well who knows , what i would say is the whole story is never painted in the public domain , and while im not condoning the actions of Gary , Tom or Mason a little sensitivity to possible problems in players personal lives wouldnt go amiss

Before I start my response I am not saying I want a greater punishment for either player, and  I do believe we should support them come match day.  

On to the personal issues and us having sensitivity. I just cannot accept whatever issues you are having can in anyway mitigate what happened. 

Another example of a footballer who was involved in an accident while over the limit is Luke McCormick, he too cited personal issues with his Girlfriend for why he was behind the wheel.

Two young boys died as a result if his actions. 

I could not muster up any sympathy or sensitivity for his personal issues one bit.

There is a difference in the cases of course. Not that people died in one incident and not the other, the difference is pure luck, bad luck if you like that McCormick killed people, Good luck if you like that Tom and Mason didn't. Perhaps for Luke McCormick had he run into the back of someone before he got to the motorway then he just gets charged with drink driving and the two boys don't die.

Its such fine margins.

35 minutes ago, rynny said:

https://www.bhatiabest.co.uk/bhatiabestnews/Derby-county-drink-driving-players-sentenced-to-community-service/

Decent article, from a legal point of view, on whether, or not, it was a lenient charge. 

See that I find interesting - I'd seen that table before but hadn't realised some of the other factors such as the guilty plea reducing their sentence by a third 

28 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

See that I find interesting - I'd seen that table before but hadn't realised some of the other factors such as the guilty plea reducing their sentence by a third 

I always knew* that if you pleaded guilty it was always seen as favourable in your sentencing. 

*heard it many times on TV programmes and films ?

29 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

So maybe now we can put this topic to bed.And carry on what we are supposed to be here for SUPPORTING THE RAMS

29 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

So maybe now we can put this topic to bed.And carry on what we are supposed to be here for SUPPORTING THE RAMS

Come on, we still have threads discussing how successful or not Nigel Clough was so give it a while yet please :)

Personally I don't see why it should be closed. Unless the mods are having issues with posts being made that are libellous etc. Its still a fairly recent event, it is not like its being discussed with or in front of the two players. 

It will die away naturally as people lose interest, or feel their points have been made. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

I suppose pleading innocent mind in this instance would be like getting caught red handed by your wife in bed with her sister on top of you, both totally naked and trying to make out nothing happened.

19 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I suppose pleading innocent mind in this instance would be like getting caught red handed by your wife in bed with her sister on top of you, both totally naked and trying to make out nothing happened.

Perhaps there was a huge spider on the floor of the landing and we both dived onto the bed to get away from it? Can't think why we'd be naked mind!

24 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Perhaps there was a huge spider on the floor of the landing and we both dived onto the bed to get away from it? Can't think why we'd be naked mind!

The window was open and it was windy and our clothes just blew off.

Archived