Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

On 17/10/2019 at 14:31, Paul71 said:

I suppose pleading innocent mind in this instance would be like getting caught red handed by your wife in bed with her sister on top of you, both totally naked and trying to make out nothing happened.

Hmmm, tough one, think it'd be tough to talk your way out of that scenario but not as tough as it was for this this member of the clergy - 2/10

https://metro.co.uk/2008/10/31/vicar-hospitalised-with-potato-up-his-bum-95117/

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Hmmm, tough one, think it'd be tough to talk your way out of that scenario but not as tough as it was for this this member of the clergy - 2/10

https://metro.co.uk/2008/10/31/vicar-hospitalised-with-potato-up-his-bum-95117/

His explanation seems plausible but I'm not sure why he tried to remove it with a garden fork ?

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do you think it's an issue with football only? I agree if you're saying that there might be an alcohol problem in regard to the level of professionalism that you'd expect from millionaire athletes. If you're talking health and culture wise, I doubt the average footballer drinks more than the average working man.

The average working man does not need to be in top physical condition

Not sure I’ve seen many people claiming that this is only something that’s happened in the modern day in all fairness, so not sure what point Gibbo is trying to make in all fairness. Think everyone knows the drinking culture was far worse in fact in the past- but the point is, it was a different game back then. It wasn’t such a science surrounding fitness and physical condition like it is now. The damage that regularly getting hammered could do to your fitness on a football field would be hugely noticeable in today’s game. Not saying this is a regular occurrence, but it needs not to be otherwise we will have problems.

20 minutes ago, ramit said:

The average working man does not need to be in top physical condition

See my other recent posts in this thread and you’ll know that I condemn professional athletes getting pissed on a game week. The post you’ve quoted was in response to the claim that football has a drinking problem. 

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not sure I’ve seen many people claiming that this is only something that’s happened in the modern day in all fairness, so not sure what point Gibbo is trying to make in all fairness. 

Gibbo didn’t mention the recent incident at all; he was just reminiscing on how football has (supposedly) changed since he started covering Derby. I made the link to this thread because some posters had said that it summed up modern football.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

See my other recent posts in this thread and you’ll know that I condemn professional athletes getting pissed on a game week. The post you’ve quoted was in response to the claim that football has a drinking problem. 

Gibbo didn’t mention the recent incident at all; he was just reminiscing on how football has (supposedly) changed since he started covering Derby. I made the link to this thread because some posters had said that it summed up modern football.

Ah fair enough then, it’s certainly not something new in the last 10 years that’s for sure. I mean, Claude Davis had to have had an entire bottle of vodka before turning out the way he did every week!

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ah fair enough then, it’s certainly not something new in the last 10 years that’s for sure. I mean, Claude Davis had to have had an entire bottle of vodka before turning out the way he did every week!

Yeah, and he always played better when drunk too.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

i still don't see the relevance in comparing the two.  If a footballer gets drunk on a regular basis, that hampers his ability to perform to a suitable standard in his work and therefor is a drinking problem.  The standard is higher and the drinking problem bar lower.

5 hours ago, ramit said:

i still don't see the relevance in comparing the two.  If a footballer gets drunk on a regular basis, that hampers his ability to perform to a suitable standard in his work and therefor is a drinking problem.  The standard is higher and the drinking problem bar lower.

When Gboro said that football has a drinking problem, I asked for clarification as to whether he was speaking in regard to the levels of professionalism we expect from athletes, or in relation to health.

Hence why I agree with you if it’s the former and disagree if it’s the latter.

Hands up, who was happy for Lawrence after he scored his two goals? 

I was. It's hard losing a parent but even harder at a young age. People react differently but I think a lot of people on this forum can relate to where his head might have been.

He did something that he'll regret for the rest of his life but we saw the relief he showed when that second goal went in. 

As a football club we need to move on and I think this week (Keogh included) was the catalyst for that to happen.

Well done Tom, you've reacted well and have my full support. 

He seems more focussed. More of a team player. No more arrogant reactions to the crowd. 

Score two against forest and he’ll almost be accepted.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

He seems more focussed. More of a team player. No more arrogant reactions to the crowd. 

He’s starting to consider that he doesn’t have to be Ronaldo with every touch.  He appears to be doing the simple things well and given he has some real ability it might feel too simple to him.  Hope to continue seeing this better application of his skill on match days

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

He’s starting to consider that he doesn’t have to be Ronaldo with every touch.  He appears to be doing the simple things well and given he has some real ability it might feel too simple to him.  Hope to continue seeing this better application of his skill on match days

He is mortal and is realising that the game is his bread and butter and not something to be handed to him on a plate.

The greats à la Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews, Billy Wright, Bobby Charlton...........
are all remembered by history for who they were and how they conducted themselves on and off the pitch as much, if not more than, for their skills on it. Nuff said!

7 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

He is mortal and is realising that the game is his bread and butter and not something to be handed to him on a plate.

The greats à la Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews, Billy Wright, Bobby Charlton...........
are all remembered by history for who they were and how they conducted themselves on and off the pitch as much, if not more than, for their skills on it. Nuff said!

Having said that Bobby Moore was famous for the quote' win or loose we're on the booze'

41 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

A rather selective list of the' greats'  .  Phoney response

Happy for him... I’m not too sure. Delighted that we’d won of course, and I celebrate that the same regardless of the fact that TL scored the goals. But I still can’t forgive him and feel happy for him personally after what he did. It’s not something we should just forget about. However, that said, he’s going about his return to the team in the right manner. Since the incident he’s seemed to have worked a lot harder than before, and has put in some good performances to show for it. At least it seems like he cares about fighting for some respect back. And if he continues in this vein, whilst we cannot forget what he’s done, he will win some of my respect back for the way he’s conducted himself in the aftermath. Hopefully he’s a changed man for the better after what’s happened.

Couldn’t help but have a big fat grin on my face, especially when he scored the second one. What he has done is obviously very wrong, but I can’t help but feel happy for a lad who has been through an awful lot in the last few months.

I think the reaction of his team mates is key to that. They all seem genuinely delighted for him which I think speaks volumes as they will know his personality and character much better than we do, even the body language experts we have on here. 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

He's not an idiot. I'm sure he realises that he is still in a period of atonement and any sort of adverse reaction towards the fans would be insane. Let's hope it continues (not his atonement, we all need to move on eventually, but his improved attitude towards the supporters) 

Archived