Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

1 minute ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I don’t it’s helpful for him to bring that up.

I don't think it's really a problem. He didn't relate it to the recent incident and, even if he did, it would only be a comment on the fact that they were out drinking, rather than the fact that they chose to drive home. Two different issues I think.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't think it's really a problem. He didn't relate it to the recent incident and, even if he did, it would only be a comment on the fact that they were out drinking, rather than the fact that they chose to drive home. Two different issues I think.

I respect your judgement,I’ve not listened to it.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Colin Gibson says in the latest RamsTV Podcast that on Thursday mornings in the 1980s, the players would train with plastic bags under their kit to sweat out the alcohol from the night before. Again, I'm not condoning our players' actions, but anyone who claims that this is symbolic of modern football is wide of the mark.

Yep and they were playing against players who did the same. Now they are playing against professionals who don’t in the main don’t do this which might go some way to explaining why we look unfit in comparison. The booze culture might well explain quite a lot I fear. 

24 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Yep and they were playing against players who did the same. Now they are playing against professionals who don’t in the main don’t do this which might go some way to explaining why we look unfit in comparison. The booze culture might well explain quite a lot I fear. 

I’m fairly sure that other Championship clubs will be the same as us. Maybe not the likes of Man City or Liverpool, but remember promotion-chasing Cardiff’s Sean Morrison a couple of years back in the taxi?

As I say, it doesn’t make it right. I like to think that I wouldn’t get pissed on the week of a game if I was a professional footballer but, without knowing more, I don’t think it’s fair to say we have an exceptional drinking culture.

Just google drink driving footballers and you will see a host of names that come up, from all leagues, countries and nationalities.

It doesn’t make it right, it just highlights the problem that we face as a society, because it would be also very foolish to believe that this just linked to footballers.

7 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Just google drink driving footballers and you will see a host of names that come up, from all leagues, countries and nationalities.

It doesn’t make it right, it just highlights the problem that we face as a society, because it would be also very foolish to believe that this just linked to footballers.

And only recently Oli McBurnie, just as folks on here were saying there was "a bad culture here at Derby and we should be more like Sheffield United".

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

And only recently Oli McBurnie, just as folks on here were saying there was "a bad culture here at Derby and we should be more like Sheffield United".

I don't recall anyone saying that, or even that the problem isn't ubiquitous in football. It is a long thread so perhaps I missed something. However I think most people accept that there is a problem with alcohol in football, has been for a long time. Clubs only can do what they can - but they do have a responsibility to not shirk it. 

33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't recall anyone saying that, or even that the problem isn't ubiquitous in football. It is a long thread so perhaps I missed something. However I think most people accept that there is a problem with alcohol in football, has been for a long time. Clubs only can do what they can - but they do have a responsibility to not shirk it. 

Do you think it's an issue with football only? I agree if you're saying that there might be an alcohol problem in regard to the level of professionalism that you'd expect from millionaire athletes. If you're talking health and culture wise, I doubt the average footballer drinks more than the average working man.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do you think it's an issue with football only? I agree if you're saying that there might be an alcohol problem in regard to the level of professionalism that you'd expect from millionaire athletes. If you're talking health and culture wise, I doubt the average footballer drinks more than the average working man.

I would wager that they drink more than other professional athletes. Drinking 3 days before a match to the extent that you are throwing up or passing out shows that our players showed a total lack of professionalism I’m afraid, even putting the driving incident to the side. I firmly believe it is responsible for breaking the bond between the team and a percentage of the fan base who now view them as unprofessional al at best.

40 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not only, no. But I wouldn't be surprised if the disparity between pay and responsibility (by which I mean relatively junior or fringe players are very handsomely paid, and seem to be allowed to live in a relative bubble) means it is easy to fall into situations like this.

Football does seem to be a law unto itself in many ways. It may be the same in other industries or sports, but I don't follow them so couldn't say. 

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

On a separate note my Great Gran used to have a stout with Steve Bloomer before  the game. He caught the bus though. 

40 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

On a separate note, Steve Bloomer only ever had the one before the game. He did however return to the pub after the game and got the bus home with the fans. Different times. 

This is the same note.

C9F2EF89-8E32-4C66-98B1-BAA4AE98F97B.jpeg.c69fe54774ae71ea5f12c89c406ede9b.jpeg

On a separate note my Great Gran used to have a stout with Steve Bloomer before  the game. He caught the bus though. 

47 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

On a separate note, Steve Bloomer only ever had the one before the game. He did however return to the pub after the game and got the bus home with the fans. Different times. 

Steve Bloomer subsequently ended up with a bust at our ground. Unfortunately some of our current crop of players will just be remembered as massive tits. 

I would wager that they drink more than other professional athletes. Drinking 3 days before a match to the extent that you are throwing up or passing out shows that our players showed a total lack of professionalism I’m afraid, even putting the driving incident to the side. I firmly believe it is responsible for breaking the bond between the team and a percentage of the fan base who now view them as unprofessional al at best.

I’d take that bet, Rugby and cricketers being a good example of where I would say it is also embedded.  Football is high profile, it will always be them that tend to make the news, however the tendency will be that where you have teams sports, drinking will always be part of the “bonding” culture.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I’d take that bet, Rugby and cricketers being a good example of where I would say it is also embedded.  Football is high profile, it will always be them that tend to make the news, however the tendency will be that where you have teams sports, drinking will always be part of the “bonding” culture.

I don’t really think that cricketers need to be athletes. Phil Tufnell has a spliff whilst fielding on the boundary and if you saw the state of Darren Stevens at the county ground this summer, then athlete he was not! Rugby, I will grant you, is a different kettle of fish. Putting his religion to one side I couldn’t see mo farah getting hammered 3 days before a race!

Archived