Just a small tear in my eye for that Chris Martin sub

TuffLuff

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I could wax lyrical about how good Martin can be as a hold up striker/general playmaker, how he raises the players around him with his IQ play or how he’s a brilliant finisher with both feet...

But it’s simple

We had no outball at Leeds, no defined system and no players that looked confident with what they had to do until Martin came on.

He was the first player to look like he had a clue what he was doing. He was completely comfortable dropping off and picking the all up, we finally had players involved further up the pitch and we finally had an outball. We were just clueless on how to get the ball forward until we had Martin come on. Suddenly it was days for them to just play it into the gap between defence and midfield right into Martin’s feet.

He brings a bit of confidence and playmaking to a team completely lacking both. I’d like to see him come in to the team in place of Holmes’ next game. I don’t think it’s a sure thing that he’d have a great partnership with Marriott but it’s worth giving a serious try over a run of games.

It would be better to take Zoon out and put Holmes wide.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

We had no outball at Leeds, no defined system and no players that looked confident with what they had to do until Martin came on.

Exactly this. And I said it at half time in the matchday thread:

Everyone is up in arms about the defenders playing suicidal passes to one another at the back BUT it's because they had no outball.

You need to be able to hump it forward to a centre forward who will hold it or hoof it down the wings for your zippy winger to chase after it.

Simples.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Lawrence coming back, rather have him than Zoon. Would rather have Lawrence and Holmes on the wings actually, have Waghorn off the bench.

That's another option. Wouldn't it be good if we could fit Marriott, Martin, Waghorn, Lawrence and Holmes all in the same starting 11. Could be an option at home in a 4-2-3-1 with Holmes and Bielik in the 2 but more as CMs than DMs, or Bielik sitting and Holmes attacking. I don't know, I'm not paid enough to figure it out. 

I believe DCFC have treated Martin appallingly over the last 3-4 seasons, whether it was down to Mel being upset over contracts (FFP) or manager's preferences, or a combination, I don't know. If it was purely manager's preferences, I think Mel should have said play with what you've got.

We all know Martin has a lack of pace, but that's not the reason we played slow ponderous football. Martin has a quick football brain and is quite capable of playing in a team of fast players, playing quick football. His hold up and lay off play is/would be perfect in that scenario. Plus you have the added bonus that he scores goals.

I hope to see Marriott and Lawrence benefit from having Chris in the team

4 hours ago, Anon said:

The handling of Martin by the club over the last few years is one of the most bizarre scenarios I've ever witnessed. I could understand cashing in on a player if he doesn't fit with the manager's plans, but we failed to do that. Essentially we looked at a striker who'd hit double digits in 3 consecutive championship seasons and decided that it would be better if he played for our rivals.

Absolutely this ^.  If a system ain’t broke don’t fix it is a rather appropriate aphorism for this scenario. But thanks to Mr Pearson we shipped him out on loan. Then under Mac2, we tried to get him back...then after he returned, we shipped him out again......Yet he is still the same player who will bag 16-20 goals if you get the ball into his feet and get late runners into the box. 80% of regular Derby fans know this; Chris is a lovely bloke but the reception he got at PP is not nostalgia based on his personality. It was based on recognition of a footballer who knows how to unlock defences if you get the ball to him. Credit to Chris for showing patience and self-belief. I personally would have left Derby and vowed never to  return. Now Mr Cocu, recognise the game-changing impact he can have {not just the Leeds goal} and get Holmes, Knight and Bielik feeding balls in, and Lawrence and Marriott running off. Then see if our “shots on target” stat increases at all...

It’s ironic the second coming may well have come a game earlier, had the referee moved the wall further back than six yards. 

It really is time this ten yard rule was enforced accurately. A yard is a tall man’s stride, not a short man’s baby step.

On 21/09/2019 at 13:53, DazaDunn said:

Serious question... How could you hate him? 60 goals in 3 seasons only to be binned by a manager who got EVERYTHING wrong (NP)?

Maybe he was binned off because of his illness but the fact he can come back into the team so quickly and play like that gives me great hope for his future here. 

Watching him at then iPro I thought he was lazy and has a poo attitude. I’m happy to change my mind if he shows me something. 

If we play him, for me we have to play him with a partner/partners rather than on his own as he will get too isolated . We haven’t got midfield runners like Hendrick or Bryson anymore who prevented Martin from getting isolated, or players like ward or Russell who unselfishly stretches the game for Martin. I posted this in the Birmingham thread, but I wouldn’t mind him playing just behind Waghorn and Marriott in a diamond formation as the CAM. There would be less pressure on him to score with those two on the pitch so he can utilise his intelligence to have a free role in the team

On 26/09/2019 at 18:06, Sexydadbod said:

If we play him, for me we have to play him with a partner/partners rather than on his own as he will get too isolated . We haven’t got midfield runners like Hendrick or Bryson anymore who prevented Martin from getting isolated, or players like ward or Russell who unselfishly stretches the game for Martin. I posted this in the Birmingham thread, but I wouldn’t mind him playing just behind Waghorn and Marriott in a diamond formation as the CAM. There would be less pressure on him to score with those two on the pitch so he can utilise his intelligence to have a free role in the team

Today, we didn't have runners like Hendrick or Bryson. Today, we had Jamie Paterson.

On 24/09/2019 at 04:44, Rambam said:

It’s ironic the second coming may well have come a game earlier, had the referee moved the wall further back than six yards. 

It really is time this ten yard rule was enforced accurately. A yard is a tall man’s stride, not a short man’s baby step.

I believe you're being rather Bremnerist Sir , is that allowed under the current climate of Political correctness? ...........OH , WAIT A MINUTE ! ....HE PLAYED FOR L€€DS DIDN'T HE ? ............

Carry on !!

Biased post as I unashamedly love CM, but I'm so glad he's back and proving what he gave to this team in the first place.

For me he's the best centre forward we've had in 15 or so years, and not just because of his goals. The way he brings others into play is exceptional, his hold up play takes pressure off the defence and he's a constant occupation for defenders. The confidence he gives to the midfield is plain to see - when he gets the ball with his back to goal they know he's going to hold it so they can gamble and make the run forward.

Always made me laugh when people said it was time to 'move on' from Chris Martin, as if he was a failed experiment. Look at the goals record, and remember that's only the half of it.

We've got our focal point back.

Just look at our second goal, Martin picked the ball up after their played slipped, had a lovely turn, played a beautifully weighted pass to put it on a plate for Waggy. 

The performance today was prime Chris Martin. I know he's divided opinion amongst fans, but I never understood why. His game has always been so much more than goals. 

A fit, confident Chris Martin changes the whole dynamic of our team. No disrespect to Waghorn or Marriott, but neither of them have the intelligence or effectiveness at bringing other players into the game or speed of thought of Chris. 

Cant even put in words how happy I am that he is back and playing well. Shows Mr Cocu's skill in recognising what he needed was already there compared to recent predecessors and well done to the coaching team for getting him back. Loved the selfless lay off to Waghorn and how he was with everyone at end. Just brilliant and I love him 

Archived