Just a small tear in my eye for that Chris Martin sub

TuffLuff

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

We only played some decent football in the final third when Martin was on the pitch. His greater physical presence gave the Leeds defenders something to think about, added to which when he got the ball he used it effectively - 100% completion rate.  Marriott could be the greatest beneficiary with Martin in the side.

That’s what I mean, and that’s why I’d give him a go from the start to see what happens. I don’t see how him and Marriott can fit In the same team though, especially not from the start. Only way it’s possible is a 4231 with Marriott in the hole, but that then leaves us with 2 CDMs again which we want to avoid as it makes us too defensive- and especially with a striker in no.10 will leave a massive gap in midfield. I suppose it’s an option to play counter attacking away from home, but it shouldn’t be our primary tactic. Only other way would be to switch formation entirely to 3 at the back or something like that, which I wouldn’t feel too comfortable with and I’m not sure cocu would risk. Think we have to revert back to a 433, and in that formation it’s martin and Waghorn, not Martin and Marriott.

The very leftfield option would be to try Martin in midfield I suppose, but that’s really outside the box.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s what I mean, and that’s why I’d give him a go from the start to see what happens. I don’t see how him and Marriott can fit In the same team though, especially not from the start. Only way it’s possible is a 4231 with Marriott in the hole, but that then leaves us with 2 CDMs again which we want to avoid as it makes us too defensive- and especially with a striker in no.10 will leave a massive gap in midfield. I suppose it’s an option to play counter attacking away from home, but it shouldn’t be our primary tactic. Only other way would be to switch formation entirely to 3 at the back or something like that, which I wouldn’t feel too comfortable with and I’m not sure cocu would risk. Think we have to revert back to a 433, and in that formation it’s martin and Waghorn, not Martin and Marriott.

The very leftfield option would be to try Martin in midfield I suppose, but that’s really outside the box.

Why waghorn in a 433 as apposed to Martin?

That was the formation that Martin was most successful and prolific in (and the rest of the squad feeding off him).I like Waggers but I don't see him as better in that role.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

442 with Knight and Beilik two CMS and Marriott and Martin two strikers with Paterson on the left and Holmes/Waghorn on the right is what I would go for.

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Personally I’d be looking at Paterson, Martin and Waghorn in a front there for the short term because I think that looks a more balanced front three. Have Marriott look to force his way back in from the bench, which will then eventually force the inevitable formation change.

Itll all naturally progress in terms of who comes in/goes out of the first 11, but I do think if we want to stick with 4-2-3-1 style formation for now we need creative players rather than runners/ outright goal scorers 

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Why waghorn in a 433 as apposed to Martin?

That was the formation that Martin was most successful and prolific in (and the rest of the squad feeding off him).I like Waggers but I don't see him as better in that role.

That wasn’t what I was suggesting? I don’t think you can say on the basis of one game that Martin is better than waghorn, who has been fairly consistently one of our better players for a year and a bit. But what I was suggesting is Martin upfront, waghorn wide right in a 433.

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Personally I’d be looking at Paterson, Martin and Waghorn in a front there for the short term because I think that looks a more balanced front three. Have Marriott look to force his way back in from the bench, which will then eventually force the inevitable formation change.

Itll all naturally progress in terms of who comes in/goes out of the first 11, but I do think if we want to stick with 4-2-3-1 style formation for now we need creative players rather than runners/ outright goal scorers 

Exactly what I’d do, and the front 3 I’d start against brum. Agree 100%

14 hours ago, Andicis said:

if you play it up to Martin's feet, it will stick and allow us to move up the field, which is invaluable

To me that was the striking (no pun) thing. Balls hit to his feet stuck and people could run off him. Leeds defence were really disturbed by this hence the fouls he was given, and I don't think it was because it was late in the game and they were tired.

I would love to see Martin used to create for Marriott up top but can't see it with Cocu persisting with the 2 CDMs. If Cocu did change systems to allow this then there is a very big problem on it's way for Chris Martin - Rooney, because I expect Rooney to be played in that roll with Marriott

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

That wasn’t what I was suggesting? I don’t think you can say on the basis of one game that Martin is better than waghorn, who has been fairly consistently one of our better players for a year and a bit. But what I was suggesting is Martin upfront, waghorn wide right in a 433.

Ok mate,understand you now...I agree on that system.

I do think that Martin over his career to have been a consistently excellent player in that spot,better than waghorn over his time there....waggers is a slightly different sort of player,more energetic and versatile in terms of being able to play on the wing as well as the striker role tho.

Didn’t go to Leeds, or see any footage, but  (along with Mac3, TuffLuff, Ellafella and Kash), i’ve been 100% in Chris Martin’s corner since the disgusting treatment by that idiot Pearson, and Rowett and Lampard’s pathetic inability to recognise a ‘class’ player when he was on their doorstep. 

Three years of amazing managerial ineptitude before this wonderful wake-up moment ! 

5 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Didn’t go to Leeds, or see any footage, but  (along with Mac3, TuffLuff, Ellafella and Kash), i’ve been 100% in Chris Martin’s corner since the disgusting treatment by that idiot Pearson, and Rowett and Lampard’s pathetic inability to recognise a ‘class’ player when he was on their doorstep. 

Three years of amazing managerial ineptitude before this wonderful wake-up moment ! 

Harsh on lampard,  lampard made it clear he wanted a small squad and had to make that decision early on

Due to Martins illness it is understandable that he wasn't included.

The handling of Martin by the club over the last few years is one of the most bizarre scenarios I've ever witnessed. I could understand cashing in on a player if he doesn't fit with the manager's plans, but we failed to do that. Essentially we looked at a striker who'd hit double digits in 3 consecutive championship seasons and decided that it would be better if he played for our rivals.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

The handling of Martin by the club over the last few years is one of the most bizarre scenarios I've ever witnessed. I could understand cashing in on a player if he doesn't fit with the manager's plans, but we failed to do that. Essentially we looked at a striker who'd hit double digits in 3 consecutive championship seasons and decided that it would be better if he played for our rivals.

nigel-pearson.JPG?w=640&h=480&auto=compr

disappointed come on GIF

I could wax lyrical about how good Martin can be as a hold up striker/general playmaker, how he raises the players around him with his IQ play or how he’s a brilliant finisher with both feet...

But it’s simple

We had no outball at Leeds, no defined system and no players that looked confident with what they had to do until Martin came on.

He was the first player to look like he had a clue what he was doing. He was completely comfortable dropping off and picking the all up, we finally had players involved further up the pitch and we finally had an outball. We were just clueless on how to get the ball forward until we had Martin come on. Suddenly it was days for them to just play it into the gap between defence and midfield right into Martin’s feet.

He brings a bit of confidence and playmaking to a team completely lacking both. I’d like to see him come in to the team in place of Holmes’ next game. I don’t think it’s a sure thing that he’d have a great partnership with Marriott but it’s worth giving a serious try over a run of games.

Archived