Just a small tear in my eye for that Chris Martin sub

TuffLuff

Yep, I’m a Martin guy and yes I think tonight might have been the first time I’ve punched the air when a player was announced to be on the subs bench but what a great ovation for him from the fans tonight.

Not going to comment on his performance, still a long way to go for him at the moment in those terms, but Martin as a player had deserved that moment and had never really got it. 

Now the really tough work starts for him on the pitch, hope he keeps showing his worth.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the ground tonight and as soon as he appeared off the bench,the crowd started to rise and when he came into the pitch it went a little ballistic.

A great moment for him I thought.

On the pitch he looked good,some beautiful weighted passes the rest of the team reacted well to and it opened up the defence nicely.

Great to see him back in the squad.

Derbys number 9 

I've waited for that moment for years and was willing him to get on the pitch before Cocu changed his mind as I thought I would never happen. One of the most talented and intelligent players we've had in many years and he doesn't get the thanks he deserves.

I'd love to see him and Marriott together like in pre season.

If he had scored that free kick with the last kick of the game, I think I would've burst. 

Cocu is definitely a guy who prefers intelligent play to running statistics, so Martin has a chance in this team. It's not surprise he's going to show some rusty moments, but his ability to create opportunities in and around the box makes him potentially invaluable to a team, like us, who are currently lacking creativity. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If he had scored that free kick with the last kick of the game, I think I would've burst. 

Cocu is definitely a guy who prefers intelligent play to running statistics, so Martin has a chance in this team. It's not surprise he's going to show some rusty moments, but his ability to create opportunities in and around the box makes him potentially invaluable to a team, like us, who are currently lacking creativity. 

Agree with that. Chris was at his best when he had teammates making intelligent runs , not sure we've got too many Brysons, Hughes's or Hendrick's in the team atm. Or Russell's, or Fozzy's with great low crosses into dangerous areas......

Chris Martin is totally dependent on players making runs before he receives the ball. You have to commit to making that run knowing that Chris will head, pass or flick the ball into your path.....or win a foul while trying.

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think I would have done too!! If only?!

Thats as far as the sentiment goes for me though. Got to deliver and still a million miles away from that player many of us loved. I’m only concerned about the team - if he doesn’t contribute get rid - he has nothing to prove in a rams shirt - those three seasons were golden! 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think I would have done too!! If only?!

Thats as far as the sentiment goes for me though. Got to deliver and still a million miles away from that player many of us loved. I’m only concerned about the team - if he doesn’t contribute get rid - he has nothing to prove in a rams shirt - those three seasons were golden! 

You can only deliver if you get minutes on the pitch and there were few. Martin will not match his contribution from past seasons and this season is his swansong.  But having a player of his intelligence and technical skill available to Cocu can only be a positive for us.

3 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

You can only deliver if you get minutes on the pitch and there were few. Martin will not match his contribution from past seasons and this season is his swansong.  But having a player of his intelligence and technical skill available to Cocu can only be a positive for us.

Agree, there is a place for him but can’t see him getting enough minutes for himself to be satisfied. Can see something similar to the role he played under Rowett where despite the lack of goals I thought he did ok. And Cocu will use him better.

Let’s also not forget his health wasn’t right for a long period in the past couple of years.

You saw the crowd reaction when he came on. I think the majority would love him to become a regular again and end his Derby career on his terms but only if he’s good enough. For me he doesn’t need to prove anything, one of the best strikers we’ve had in the 25+ years I’ve watched Derby and definitely the best in the championship era. 

Jack at centre-forward was a  predictable mismatch for Flint & Morrison.

Whilst there was always a chance he might beat them on the floor, there was precious little service of that kind - when we did that, Cardiff had some trouble with him and it's a shame he shook the crossbar with that 2nd-half effort.

Chris Martin can be an important player for us again, his physicality was evident in place of Jack but I'd like to see Jack play with Chris too,

Waghorn staying out wide; put Jack in the '10' role just off Martin and he's bound to prosper. I feel there would be more of a threat then, with out-of-sorts Lawrence used as an impact sub if required.

Using Martin's physicality and skill at bringing players into scoring positions could prepare the team for when Rooney would (presumably) perform a similar role in the New Year - but for now, I am pleased that Cocu has seen how Martin could add to the options, and that he could beef up our physical presence.

Good to see him back in the black and white always likes him but I thought his time had sadly gone but maybe Cocu will give him the opportunity to stake a claim.

Martins a good player who can still be a useful asset even if not a regular starter. A series of managers have cast him aside, but he’s still here plugging away at it. Good luck to him!

Archived