Just a small tear in my eye for that Chris Martin sub

TuffLuff

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Martin has the footballing brain we've been badly lacking. He might not be the biggest or the quickest, but he sees opportunities quicker than players around him, he has a great touch, and he plays people in very intelligently. 

When used correctly, Chris Martin can be one of the best all round forwards in the league, as we saw in the McClaren era. Now we might have lost Wilson and Mount in midfield, but Martin can become our vocal point if we play around him, Bryson profited a huge amount from getting close to Martin and getting chances based off him, how many could Marriott or Holmes score like that?

Today showed just how much of an asset Chrissy Martin can be for us, and I would love to see him rewarded with a start next week. Our midfield is crying out for an out ball a lot of the time, if you play it up to Martin's feet, it will stick and allow us to move up the field, which is invaluable.

Paul Clement, Nigel Pearson, Gary Rowett, those ‘reporters’ who said he refused to play that were then debunked, all Scotland managers who weren’t Gordon Strachan...where are they now?

Three years in the waiting and he’s still here scoring for Derby County. Funny how things work out sometimes 

0DD894C8-E48D-4456-9154-12589E0FF3B2.jpeg

I have been waiting for this moment for a long time, so glad to see it! Just hope this is the catalyst for a good season for Chris and an upturn in performance for Derby. Always felt that CM has something to offer in a Rams shirt and although only 1 goal I feel and hope more could come...CM Derby's number 9(1) ?

On 16/09/2019 at 08:54, angieram said:

Exactly.  So why not try an option that might rectify that? 

I was a bit disappointed that the substitution was Marriott for Martin, as for me Marriott is the player who would most benefit from Martin's craft.

Please give this a try Mr Cocu. I would be very surprised if it doesn’t work. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Please give this a try Mr Cocu. I would be very surprised if it doesn’t work. 

Looked the best bit to come out of Florida. Admittedly against poor opposition but we haven't exactly seen much to make us forget

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Bennett flourished on the service too...in fact anyone who likes running into clever balls to their feet in the box would.

I just hope Martin is seen as more a playmaker than a striker. 

I know from the outside he was our star striker under Mac but we all know how important Bryson was going past him so often. He needs that player beyond him and if we play him as the tip of the spear I think he'll struggle. They have to go past him. 

There was a bit v Cardiff where he dummied for Waghorn who didn't read it. And obviously vs Sarasota Marriott was flying through the gaps created. 

Holmes will love it too. 

I just pray he's not used as a hold up man. Too fussy. Not especially good in the air. Not too hot beyond 3 or 4 touches. If it's 2 yards left or right of him or dropped behind the defenders then forget about it. Stick Waghorn there. 

Get the dribblers and runners around him and get them gambling! 

Must admit to doubting that Martin could make much of a tangible impact this season, despite not writing him off completely. Certainly didn’t think he’d do much other than being third choice anyway. But, while some are getting a little overexcited as it’s only one game and could be a false dawn, he did show some things today that may be if significant use to us. Now he’s definately not the future of Derby county, that imo is jack Marriott. But I feel that the latter needs to be playing in a better side with better quality in wide positions and midfield to get anything out of him up front. So in the short term until someone fixes our team, I’d be tempted to give Martin a starting berth as with his experience and skill in holding the ball, it may help to paper over the cracks a bit. May not work of course, and this one game may not be representative of his current ability, but imo it’s worth a go with Marriott off the bench on 60/70 mins against tired legs.

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Must admit to doubting that Martin could make much of a tangible impact this season, despite not writing him off completely. Certainly didn’t think he’d do much other than being third choice anyway. But, while some are getting a little overexcited as it’s only one game and could be a false dawn, he did show some things today that may be if significant use to us. Now he’s definately not the future of Derby county, that imo is jack Marriott. But I feel that the latter needs to be playing in a better side with better quality in wide positions and midfield to get anything out of him up front. So in the short term until someone fixes our team, I’d be tempted to give Martin a starting berth as with his experience and skill in holding the ball, it may help to paper over the cracks a bit. May not work of course, and this one game may not be representative of his current ability, but imo it’s worth a go with Marriott off the bench on 60/70 mins against tired legs.

We only played some decent football in the final third when Martin was on the pitch. His greater physical presence gave the Leeds defenders something to think about, added to which when he got the ball he used it effectively - 100% completion rate.  Marriott could be the greatest beneficiary with Martin in the side.

10 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Paul Clement, Nigel Pearson, Gary Rowett, those ‘reporters’ who said he refused to play that were then debunked, all Scotland managers who weren’t Gordon Strachan...where are they now?

Three years in the waiting and he’s still here scoring for Derby County. Funny how things work out sometimes 

0DD894C8-E48D-4456-9154-12589E0FF3B2.jpeg

Bizarrely the sponsors logo looks like it reads as “3axed”! 

I hope CM’s durability and determination to succeed again here when he could have gone on loan elsewhere now gets rewarded. I listened to his post-match interview with Gibbo and his obvious intelligence and maturity shines through. We need CM at the very least to be a model for the youngsters...and Cocu needs to try and pitch Marriott and Martin as a double act. 

You saw how much it meant to him. Other than Norwich, Derby is his club. He’s always given everything despite what people say, his mardiness on the pitch is not because he’s an arrogant primadonna, it’s because he wants to win, demands a lot from himself and players around him, in fact most of his anger is directed at himself when he’s not doing it (same with Tom Lawrence also by the way) 

He is class at this level in the right team playing to his strengths. But play a midfield like we did yesterday, had we started Martin he’d have been subbed after having no impact - just like Marriott.

Most teams in the league that have been promoted in recent years have had a target man option. He’s ours and im glad we still have him. How many games he plays I don’t know but if he’s happy being part of the squad in an equal fight with Waggy and Marriott then it’s all good.

But if we don’t get the midfield balance right - it doesn’t matter who you have up front

Archived