I would drive dowell back up to Everton myself!

DanS1992

29 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I must say, I'm really enjoying the grammar police piss taking thread.   This kind of thing really gets my goat .   I'm assuming only those with a Masters in English literature should post in future.  I would imagine most people who post on here do so quickly and without much thought on grammar.  This kind of thing could really put people of participating  It would be a shame for that to happen .

That should be off participating.    878755571_-grammar-nazi-1696398.png.48b3fdeeb3c2408d2313981ad4bdd335.png (Your friendly, neighbourhood Grammer Nazi)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing's changed though, who plays there if Dowell doesn't? Dowell is a player still developing, evidently, but he's not keeping anyone out who would potentially be a better option. Sibley, I think we all like, but Dowell has showed similar promise at the same level. He's scored goals at this level before and he's an U21 England footballer. Mount went through a huge period last season where there were fans asking for him to be dropped, but Lampard stuck with him. He got injured, admittedly, and came back twice the player. Dowell is still our most talented attacking midfielder, at least until Holmes returns and I'd imagine he will be played as the Bryson-esque player to link Bielik and Dowell. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's a massively worrying thought.

I agree, but as I said Mount wasn't 10/10 every week and went months without producing much which led to people having similar doubts over him. Young players develop over the course of the season, see Bogle & Tomori last season. 

11 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

That should be off participating.    878755571_-grammar-nazi-1696398.png.48b3fdeeb3c2408d2313981ad4bdd335.png (Your friendly, neighbourhood Grammer Nazi)

Correct and well spotted.  Deliberate of course.  Just settling in with a word search and a countdown conundrum box set.  Bet at least half the people on here tonight are green with envy.

Dowell really pissed me off today. Bloke never looks like he’s actually committed and focused on the task he’s doing. Just sort of ambles around expecting others to put the effort in. Obviously got some serious technical ability, which is how he’s so rated at Everton. But he just doesn’t seem like he cares enough almost, certainly doesn’t take care anyway. He’s too nonchalant, just sort of hits passes without really making sure they’re the right move to make and executed properly. One of the worst offenders for gifting possession away today stupidly and handing Bristol chances on a plate. That’s exactly what cost us today, and it’s inexcusable, utter stupidity from dowell and many others. Plain lack of concentration isn’t good enough, really pisses me off. Not really seen him have a decent game so far and I’m really not sure what we’ve brought him in for and what he offers the team. Hopefully In time he’ll show something, but atm I don’t see that he’s any better than knight. Contributes to the lack of quality in a very poor 3 behind the striker devoid of top championship ability. 

If he’s meant to be our main creative outlet then god help us. I’d drop him after today and what I’ve seen if him so far. Maybe if he has to work to get in the team, he’ll focus a bit harder when he gets there to stay in- maybe then we’ll see the player he has the potential to be, rather than the player he’s been so far.

Let's all calm down a bit yes Dowell is struggling at the moment, good corners but not much yet, but with 4 games gone, let's give it a bit of time, young player, if he gets a goal, or an assist his confidence might go up, booing the players off at half time is not on, 1 defeat in, against a good Bristol team is nothing to worry about, time is needed to gel a new team, so they will be bumps in the road, but I still believe we are in for a good season, I will judge us after 10 to 16 games.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Dowell really pissed me off today. Bloke never looks like he’s actually committed and focused on the task he’s doing. Just sort of ambles around expecting others to put the effort in. Obviously got some serious technical ability, which is how he’s so rated at Everton. But he just doesn’t seem like he cares enough almost, certainly doesn’t take care anyway. He’s too nonchalant, just sort of hits passes without really making sure they’re the right move to make and executed properly. One of the worst offenders for gifting possession away today stupidly and handing Bristol chances on a plate. That’s exactly what cost us today, and it’s inexcusable, utter stupidity from dowell and many others. Plain lack of concentration isn’t good enough, really pisses me off. Not really seen him have a decent game so far and I’m really not sure what we’ve brought him in for and what he offers the team. Hopefully In time he’ll show something, but atm I don’t see that he’s any better than knight. Contributes to the lack of quality in a very poor 3 behind the striker devoid of top championship ability. 

If he’s meant to be our main creative outlet then god help us. I’d drop him after today and what I’ve seen if him so far. Maybe if he has to work to get in the team, he’ll focus a bit harder when he gets there to stay in- maybe then we’ll see the player he has the potential to be, rather than the player he’s been so far.

It winds me up more when Hudds plays a lazy pass straight to the opposition. I can sort of accept it when its a young player but struggle with a guy who's played 10 years in the Premiership...

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Nothing's changed though, who plays there if Dowell doesn't? Dowell is a player still developing, evidently, but he's not keeping anyone out who would potentially be a better option. Sibley, I think we all like, but Dowell has showed similar promise at the same level. He's scored goals at this level before and he's an U21 England footballer. Mount went through a huge period last season where there were fans asking for him to be dropped, but Lampard stuck with him. He got injured, admittedly, and came back twice the player. Dowell is still our most talented attacking midfielder, at least until Holmes returns and I'd imagine he will be played as the Bryson-esque player to link Bielik and Dowell. 

I can never remember wanting Mount out of the team personally. I’m not sure you can compare the two. One will be a superstar. The other will never make a premier league player. Mount player of the year at Vitesse at a younger age and then came in and did it here (our season nearly fell to pot when he was out in the new year without him). Dowell struggled to make an impact last two loans. It’s a shame for the lad that we had Wilson and Mount last season but he’s bang average so far.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It winds me up more when Hudds plays a lazy pass straight to the opposition. I can sort of accept it when its a young player but struggle with a guy who's played 10 years in the Premiership...

Yep that pissed me off tonight as well! He’s another one that does the stupid half asleep thing...

Id drop the pair of them tbh

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think Huddlestone poses a bigger problem for our midfield than Dowell, personally. But I'm not prepared to drive him anywhere further than perhaps Alfreton? 

2 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

I can never remember wanting Mount out of the team personally. I’m not sure you can compare the two. One will be a superstar. The other will never make a premier league player. Mount player of the year at Vitesse at a younger age and then came in and did it here (our season nearly fell to pot when he was out in the new year without him). Dowell struggled to make an impact last two loans. It’s a shame for the lad that we had Wilson and Mount last season but he’s bang average so far.

Mount is definitely the better player, absolutely no doubt about that. He's the first player I've seen on loan that had a genuine edge, aside from Thorne but we know what happened there. Hughes was technically more enjoyable to watch, but Mount produced more match winning moments in one season than Hughes did in his time - admittedly different players. 

I was just making the point Mount went 17 consecutive league games, nearly half the games he played for us in the league, with one goal and one assist to his name. It did lead to people wanting him rested, which happened when he got injured, then he came back a different animal and bagged a hattrick very soon after. He finished the season a far moe complete player. 

Dowell, like Mount, will develop over the season. He needs coaching. He's got a lot of weight on his shoulders in this team, certainly in the current set up. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

Mount is definitely the better player, absolutely no doubt about that. He's the first player I've seen on loan that had a genuine edge, aside from Thorne but we know what happened there. Hughes was technically more enjoyable to watch, but Mount produced more match winning moments in one season than Hughes did in his time - admittedly different players. 

I was just making the point Mount went 17 consecutive league games, nearly half the games he played for us in the league, with one goal and one assist to his name. It did lead to people wanting him rested, which happened when he got injured, then he came back a different animal and bagged a hattrick very soon after. He finished the season a far moe complete player. 

Dowell, like Mount, will develop over the season. He needs coaching. He's got a lot of weight on his shoulders in this team, certainly in the current set up. 

Agreed but he could at least run around and look interested. Mount also used to do the dirty side of the game too

Just now, GrimsbyRam said:

Agreed but he could at least run around and look interested. Mount also used to do the dirty side of the game too

Yes, he did. He was definitely better and more complete. He's currently in the Chelsea team and doing well, which is no surprise. He's got a very high ceiling. Dowell has the ability to be a key player for us, in my opinion, purely based on his technical ability. As I said, we've had very good technical players in the past produce little, equally we've had some players with poor technical ability and have a big impact. It's all down to application. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I must say, I'm really enjoying the grammar police piss taking thread.   This kind of thing really gets my goat .   I'm assuming only those with a Masters in English literature should post in future.  I would imagine most people who post on here do so quickly and without much thought on grammar.  This kind of thing could really put people of participating,   It would be a shame for that to happen .

Too true I am sure its a case of look how clever i am but in footballing terms not a gram of understanding  that some people  maybe not be perfect spellers or not the best at grammar,but probably know a hell of a lot about football and thats what this forum should be about

46 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Don't know if you remember Osman , still our best loan signing for me . Without him we would have slipped into League One . Thorne would be second. Alberto Bueno was very good as well but faded off during the second half of the season. Jason Talbot and Blessing Kaku were also great , but not quite as good as Khalilou Fadiga .

Archived