I would drive dowell back up to Everton myself!

DanS1992

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Keep reading that people were saying this time last year that Mount and Wilson were rubbish

Is that even true? 

I bet Mount hasn't looked rubbish in his life

Wilson got a lot stick as did Tomori. Can remember people expecting more from Mount but he didn't have that much criticism. 

Personally I think Dowell has talent but looks a little lost at the minute and there is a lot of pressure on him to do something. I think if we get a settled midfield with a bit more balance you will start see more out of him. 

I think the problem with Dowell is less about him and more about team balance. 

Him, Huddlestone and Bielik/Evans (Bielik has shown signs of something different) are all fairly static and we sorely lack somebody who can carry the ball and break between the lines. 

Knight looks like he has a bit of this and so does Sibley. Other than that we are waiting on Holmes.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I think the problem with Dowell is less about him and more about team balance. 

Him, Huddlestone and Bielik/Evans (Bielik has shown signs of something different) are all fairly static and we sorely lack somebody who can carry the ball and break between the lines. 

Knight looks like he has a bit of this and so does Sibley. Other than that we are waiting on Holmes.

I thought Shinnie was supposed to be our new Bryson ??‍♂️

I’ve been away all August and won’t see a game in the flesh until next month, I think most young creative types like Dowell will suffer with Huddlestone in from the start. 

Im guessing we need the dynamics to change in the middle with Bielik, Dowell and Shinnie type combination. Offering strength, flair and energy respectively. 

6 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I thought Shinnie was supposed to be our new Bryson ??‍♂️

I’ve been away all August and won’t see a game in the flesh until next month, I think most young creative types like Dowell will suffer with Huddlestone in from the start. 

Im guessing we need the dynamics to change in the middle with Bielik, Dowell and Shinnie type combination. Offering strength, flair and energy respectively. 

I'm not even sure Shinnie is the answer. Not really sure where he fits in if I'm honest. He's energetic and tidy on the ball which is why he's getting compared to Bryson but I don't think he's got that attacking movement or instinct Bryson had. Personally I've seen more from Sibley and Knight to say they are a better fit.

Its early days but fear he will be a player who falls through the cracks.

22 hours ago, Andicis said:

You should have just stopped there. It's the 4th game of the season. He was rubbish tonight, but he wasn't the only one. He deserves time.

Yes It's too early to say that Dowell isn't good enough. Perhaps some supporters expected that we would replace Mount with a loan player of similar ability (perhaps the management also thought the same), but it's not that easy. We were fortunate last season, Tomori and Mount being exceptional, but they probably wouldn't have been near PP if Lampard hadn't decided to do his 1 year Management apprenticeship  at DCFC. 

23 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

I know the game against bristol is only the 4th game of the season, and people will say be patient, but im sorry, Dowell offers absolutely ducking nothing. In all the games so far he has been ineffective, gives the ball away more times than he finds a player, and most attacks break down. I am not trying to scapegoat someone, but based on the games so far Dowell has been crap (he is not the only one) and I do wonder why we can not find someone better than him. He has not been involved in games, and often goes missing. This is not an attack on the lad (other players have been bad also) but at least the other players have offered something at a point in time, but Dowell has really not contributed much at all since he has been here. I hope he proves us wrong, but it is not a coincidence that while on loan at sheffield United he was not a regular starter and based on how ineffective he has been I think I understand why. I can't help but think that If we spent 10 million on Bielik, we could have done much better than Dowell in such a crucial and creative position in midfield (even though he is only on loan), because Dowell is not the answer. I hope he proves me wrong but he has been quite ineffective since he has arrived and as a creative midfield player, we cannot afford to have him being ineffective. Hopefully, when holmes come back he will provide us with the spark and drive that Dowell is clearly missing. 

Ah, the old 'hope he proves me wrong' thing. Shouting your mouth off but lacking conviction. Carry on.

23 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I must say, I'm really enjoying the grammar police piss taking thread.   This kind of thing really gets my goat .   I'm assuming only those with a Masters in English literature should post in future.  I would imagine most people who post on here do so quickly and without much thought on grammar.  This kind of thing could really put people of participating,   It would be a shame for that to happen .

The guy who started this thread has had posts deleted where he started pointing out spelling mistakes of people who disagreed with him. Without a hint of irony too. The remaining grammar police posts were because of this. 

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

I've just remembered that scooped ball he did on the edge of the box towards the end of the game. 

Very clever. 

Very clever but, if I remember correctly it didn't end up particularly near a Derby player. It's a bit like when people "say great cross, shame there was no one on the end of it". It wasn't a great cross then.

He (along with many others) had a poor game Tuesday but, I'm sure he'll come good.

35 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Very clever but, if I remember correctly it didn't end up particularly near a Derby player. It's a bit like when people "say great cross, shame there was no one on the end of it". It wasn't a great cross then.

He (along with many others) had a poor game Tuesday but, I'm sure he'll come good.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. It was a show boat thing to do in that situation. We were patiently trying to make every attack end in a real chance. Nobody was trying anything extraordinary because they knew if Bristol got the ball they'd kill our time. 

As I remember he did that stupid scoop and blazed a shot miles over the bar from out the area? 

I'm not sure he will come good tbh but I hope so because we look like we are going to be sticking with him. I wouldn't send him packing yet

On 20/08/2019 at 23:40, Andicis said:

Well he's clearly a tidy player, with decent control, he can bring a ball forward in midfield, he has a decent eye for a pass and previously scored a reasonable amount of goals in the division for a midfielder. One bad game doesn't make him a bad player. 

Agree with this. Far to early to be writing the lad off. He looks a bit short of confidence but he is in new surroundings with new team mates and is still very young. Confidence can be worked on and nutured by the coaching staff and his team mates. 

47 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. It was a show boat thing to do in that situation. We were patiently trying to make every attack end in a real chance. Nobody was trying anything extraordinary because they knew if Bristol got the ball they'd kill our time. 

As I remember he did that stupid scoop and blazed a shot miles over the bar from out the area? 

I'm not sure he will come good tbh but I hope so because we look like we are going to be sticking with him. I wouldn't send him packing yet

Oops, sorry, I'm a bit slow this morning. It would have been clever if it had fallen at the feet of Marriott (I think he was on the pitch by then)  instead of into no mans land.

I feel pretty sorry for Kieran. When you're coming into a new club, for the early games, you want to be playing in a settled side so that you can find your footing within the system. Been a bit of a baptism of fire for Kieran in that respect, different formations each half and undoubtedly differing roles to play within each of them; on top of being expected to be our main creative outlet from midfield and the pressure that comes with that... all with having only been here about 5 weeks!

Decide if Bielik is gonna be primarily a CDM and then give them a few games to settle into that new midfield, with Marriott starting hopefully also. Let Kieran settle into that new team and then judge him when everything else around him is pretty much our best XI.

Can't we just cut the lad some slack. Unlike some in the team, he is not only trying to fit in a new system, he is trying to fit in s new team and has had less than a handful of competitive games.

Some of you would have jesus crucified on the back of a bad miracle.

Archived