I would drive dowell back up to Everton myself!

DanS1992

Seem to remember a certain Jayden Bogle getting absolutely torn a new one around this time of last season. Can't stop a cross, loses his man all the time, has zero positional sense, a headless chicken yadda, yadda, yadda.

Maybe Dowell will make the grade, maybe he won't but some folk's vitriol on various threads seems more than a tad over the top to me. Each to their own I guess.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Seem to remember a certain Jayden Bogle getting absolutely torn a new one around this time of last season. Can't stop a cross, loses his man all the time, has zero positional sense, a headless chicken yadda, yadda, yadda.

Maybe Dowell will make the grade, maybe he won't but some folk's vitriol on various threads seems more than a tad over the top to me. Each to their own I guess.

Tbf Jayden was significantly younger, having never had any competitive first team experience. 

Dowell has had two indifferent loan spells in this league already before coming to us. I’m not sure that helps your argument?

I can accept it if Dowell is trying things and them not coming off. I cannot accept his lack of tracking back or inability to graft when not in possession (Mount and Wilson did not think that part of the game was beneath them)

3 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Tbf Jayden was significantly younger, having never had any competitive first team experience. 

Dowell has had two indifferent loan spells in this league already before coming to us. I’m not sure that helps your argument?

I can accept it if Dowell is trying things and them not coming off. I cannot accept his lack of tracking back or inability to graft when not in possession (Mount and Wilson did not think that part of the game was beneath them)

The counter argument is that while I'm not suggesting that Dowell has as much latent ability as he is slightly older, he is technically very able and that for me means it's too early to give up on him. He can be coached because he has that ability but I concede he needs to step up himself as Cocu can't do it all for him.

As for the tracking back and work ethic, I'm not sure he's lazy or not putting it in, I think he's massively short of confidence and simply going missing. I'd probably be resting him for a few games and look to see whether he can improve if and when the team is going better than at present. I think our midfield is a real problem at the moment but it could look very different with Bielik and Holmes fit and flying and Dowell could look be a prospect alongside those two.

23 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I would be happy if a member of our current midfield proved themselves over the duration of a game let alone a season. Bradley Johnson wasn’t perfect but is better than what we have now, namely Dowell, Huddlestone and Evans. We miss him. Personally I was kind of hoping that a professional club with a fair bit of resources behind it could find better than the lot of them but apparently not! 

Yes the three that you mention aren't setting the world alight. I was hoping Evans would improve with some more game time. We will see. 

Archived