I would drive dowell back up to Everton myself!

DanS1992

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think Huddlestone poses a bigger problem for our midfield than Dowell, personally. But I'm not prepared to drive him anywhere further than perhaps Alfreton? 

That'd be far enough - With Huddlestone's speed it would be weeks before he made it back from Alfreton!

My favourite bits are:

11 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

I am not trying to scapegoat someone, but based on the games so far Dowell has been crap

and

11 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

This is not an attack on the lad (other players have been bad also) but at least the other players have offered something at a point in time, but Dowell has really not contributed much at all since he has been here. 

This time last year Wilson was rubbish according to the football managers on here !!

A couple of indifferent games, followed by injury, followed by a couple more indifferent games & he was being castigated.

It was only from that wonderful free kick at Old Trafford & onwards that it was acknowledged we have a good player here.

I'm not saying Dowell is anywhere near Wilson's quality, but FFS give the lad a chance !!

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I must say, I'm really enjoying the grammar police piss taking thread.   This kind of thing really gets my goat .   I'm assuming only those with a Masters in English literature should post in future.  I would imagine most people who post on here do so quickly and without much thought on grammar.  This kind of thing could really put people off participating,   It would be a shame for that to happen .

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D:D

12 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

I know the game against bristol is only the 4th game of the season, and people will say be patient, but im sorry, Dowell offers absolutely ducking nothing. In all the games so far he has been ineffective, gives the ball away more times than he finds a player, and most attacks break down. I am not trying to scapegoat someone, but based on the games so far Dowell has been crap (he is not the only one) and I do wonder why we can not find someone better than him. He has not been involved in games, and often goes missing. This is not an attack on the lad (other players have been bad also) but at least the other players have offered something at a point in time, but Dowell has really not contributed much at all since he has been here. I hope he proves us wrong, but it is not a coincidence that while on loan at sheffield United he was not a regular starter and based on how ineffective he has been I think I understand why. I can't help but think that If we spent 10 million on Bielik, we could have done much better than Dowell in such a crucial and creative position in midfield (even though he is only on loan), because Dowell is not the answer. I hope he proves me wrong but he has been quite ineffective since he has arrived and as a creative midfield player, we cannot afford to have him being ineffective. Hopefully, when holmes come back he will provide us with the spark and drive that Dowell is clearly missing. 

You realise that’s literally what you’ve done, right? 

Dowell is a luxury player. He will drift in and out of games. He will knit a few moves together. He will break down a few moves. He’ll go missing. He’ll come back. He’ll do something promising and follow it up with something equally frustrating.

He is the kind of player you can carry if the rest of the team functions well and each player knows their role and does it well.

That’s why I imagine he was a good fit at Sheffield United. He added to their squad depth, he could be rotated in when the schedule was tough, he could have an impact from the bench. But the biggest thing is that his performance wasn’t make or break for the team. You could list 10-11 players ahead of him as integral to the team’s success.

He probably would look good for us if this was 2013-14 and Hendrick or Hughes needed a rest.

We can’t build a side around him. He should be a squad player, and that much was clear from the moment we signed him. His performances so far only confirm that.

15 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

I know the game against bristol is only the 4th game of the season, and people will say be patient, but im sorry, Dowell offers absolutely ducking nothing. In all the games so far he has been ineffective, gives the ball away more times than he finds a player, and most attacks break down. I am not trying to scapegoat someone, but based on the games so far Dowell has been crap (he is not the only one) and I do wonder why we can not find someone better than him. He has not been involved in games, and often goes missing. This is not an attack on the lad (other players have been bad also) but at least the other players have offered something at a point in time, but Dowell has really not contributed much at all since he has been here. I hope he proves us wrong, but it is not a coincidence that while on loan at sheffield United he was not a regular starter and based on how ineffective he has been I think I understand why. I can't help but think that If we spent 10 million on Bielik, we could have done much better than Dowell in such a crucial and creative position in midfield (even though he is only on loan), because Dowell is not the answer. I hope he proves me wrong but he has been quite ineffective since he has arrived and as a creative midfield player, we cannot afford to have him being ineffective. Hopefully, when holmes come back he will provide us with the spark and drive that Dowell is clearly missing. 

You either regret this thread having slept on it or you need to develop a much thicker skin for this season. Jesus. You’re my age so I can only assume you started following the rams at a similar time. Dowell would be unlucky to make it in the worse 100 players I’ve seen for Derby in the last 15/20 years. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Keep reading that people were saying this time last year that Mount and Wilson were rubbish

Is that even true? 

I bet Mount hasn't looked rubbish in his life

Oh I am sure Wilson was getting some flak. And some wanted more from Mount.

To be honest, I don't really see what he brings to the team. 

Is he meant to be a creative outlet higher up the pitch? Is so, he's too one footed and his passing isn't good enough to make it work. 

Is he meant to be a deep lying playmaker? His passing range isn't good enough and his carelessness on the ball creates problems (think it was last night when he deliberately and definitely turned back into the crowd of players instead of the space, gifting Bristol a counter attack).

Is he meant to be a terrier? He doesn't have the work rate, stamina and tenacity to do that. 

At the moment, he's just a body filling space, not doing much. And we can't really afford that. 

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

To be honest, I don't really see what he brings to the team. 

Is he meant to be a creative outlet higher up the pitch? Is so, he's too one footed and his passing isn't good enough to make it work. 

Is he meant to be a deep lying playmaker? His passing range isn't good enough and his carelessness on the ball creates problems (think it was last night when he deliberately and definitely turned back into the crowd of players instead of the space, gifting Bristol a counter attack).

Is he meant to be a terrier? He doesn't have the work rate, stamina and tenacity to do that. 

At the moment, he's just a body filling space, not doing much. And we can't really afford that. 

I thought in the 2nd half he looked much better, and with better movement and retention from others would have had a greater impact.

Archived