George Thorne - joined Oxford permanently

DCFC1388
Message added by Day

Please use the Loan Watch topic to discuss Thorne’s performances at Oxford United

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33312-loan-watch-201920

17 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm interested if you can name a better midfielder in a Derby shirt than Thorne that has played in this century/millenium.

It's easy saying 50 years, but all your better midfielders were in the first half of that 50 years, when the game was different and it's now seen through hazy rose-tinted nostalgic sentimental memory.

Bryson 

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Will Hughes had/has the talent and potential, but he was absolutely more aesthetically pleasing to watch than he was an impactful footballer. A player of his ability, often encouraged to impact the final third, has less goals and assists than a box-to-box journeyman in Paul Green for Derby County.

No denying his ability, but until he is able to produce the numbers then he's going to be questioned. Watford fans aren't sold on him, completely, so there is an argument that he's not been able to impact the Premier League. Again, for a player of his talent, it's a shame he hasn't had more influence. 

See, with Hughes I’ve always thought that because he’s so intelligent he’s stuck to the role he’s been given which has hampered him. 

I’d put his ability in the same bracket as Grealish and Maddison. In the Championship they were played as controlling #10s and everything would go through them. Hughes was pretty much limited to the inside-right channel and to knitting moves down that side of the pitch. He’s never really gone out and just played his own game except for a couple of games under Wassall.

I’m not concerned with his numbers either because Grealish and Maddison produced similar numbers from open play. 

It’s always subjective, isn’t it.  Different types of midfielders so difficult to directly compare.

Bryson’s energy and drive was brilliant and also his finishing. Thorne oozed a different type of class, cultured, unruffled, and superb vision and range of passing.

Both brilliant and I wish the best versions of them were in our team now.

I always had an image of him playing in a top half team in the premier league such was his intelligence, skill and ability to control the midfield.  I remember half way through one season the EFL on channel 5 highlighting he had the highest tackle rate, completed passes and through balls in the division all at once.

I will keep an eye on how "our George" is getting on and truly wish him all the best.

As much of a "complete" midfielder you will ever see and I hope Oxford one day get to witness it.....

16 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Thorne was very good for 13 games up to and including Wembley after that he was decent to average when he wasn’t average 

I think people let 13/14 influence how good he was in 15/16. 

In 15/16 he was top end Championship quality, statistically the best ball winning midfielder in the division that season. 

In 13/14 and briefly in 14/15 he was a joke. Best I’ve seen in this division. Any coach will tell you that he played that role to perfection under McClaren, right down the intricacies of receiving the ball constantly on the back foot from the defence. 

What always struck me about George was how he received the ball. Always positioned himself ready for the pass he was looking to make which made his job so much easier. The “quarterback” role is thrown about a lot but it really fit his style. Playing passes through gaps in the opposition to forward runners, it was great to watch. 

If you'd told me one of our midfielders from that time would have won a domestic cup, moved for an 8 digit fee and was currently captaining a side 3 points behind Bayern Munich with a good chance of winning the German title, I'd have plumped for George!

39 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

If you'd told me one of our midfielders from that time would have won a domestic cup, moved for an 8 digit fee and was currently captaining a side 3 points behind Bayern Munich with a good chance of winning the German title, I'd have plumped for George!

I always thought Mascarell looked as if he’d be better in a two. He won the ball LOADS but wasn’t disciplined enough to play as a lone DM. He’s like a mobile, ball-winning Huddlestone.

I was one of the first bunch of Southstanders to start singing "Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up .............................." on his debut against the Dogs. No matter how effective John Eustace was, we haven't seen the like of Gorgeous George either before his arrival, or since. In part  it was because his role was a relatively new one, especially at Derby. I could see him being a future England captain, but instead Lady Luck turned out to be a right bitch!

All the best, George. Here's hoping you get  good, injury-free run to start rebuilding your career! 

5 hours ago, samtheram83 said:

What always struck me about George was how he received the ball. Always positioned himself ready for the pass he was looking to make which made his job so much easier. The “quarterback” role is thrown about a lot but it really fit his style. Playing passes through gaps in the opposition to forward runners, it was great to watch. 

The vision to play what looks like a long pea rolling through ball to no one yet somehow eludes five opposition players and magically rolls perfectly into the feet of our on-running player

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Playing for free to try and resurrect his career.

Sounds like he took a bit of a parting shot at Derby.

I assume you mean this:

Thorne told Sky Sports News: "It was key for me to start enjoying football again. The last few years, because I haven't been playing football and other things were going on, I wasn't enjoying going into work at Derby and enjoying myself. I was going in and training with the kids.

"The most difficult thing is not being injured and still not being able to play. The biggest thing for me was to come somewhere with someone I trust, someone that trusts me, would allow me the opportunity to prove my ability and my fitness."

I've always loved Thorne so I may well be looking at it with rose-tinted glasses but I don't think that's a dig at Derby - And I think a completely fair shout TBH

He was sent out into the cold by Rowett after one bad game (Sunderland at home when the whole team was dire) - And then Lampard didn't even seem to consider him

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 05:37, Mostyn6 said:

I'm interested if you can name a better midfielder in a Derby shirt than Thorne that has played in this century/millenium.

It's easy saying 50 years, but all your better midfielders were in the first half of that 50 years, when the game was different and it's now seen through hazy rose-tinted nostalgic sentimental memory.

Will Hughes.

18 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I assume you mean this:

Thorne told Sky Sports News: "It was key for me to start enjoying football again. The last few years, because I haven't been playing football and other things were going on, I wasn't enjoying going into work at Derby and enjoying myself. I was going in and training with the kids.

"The most difficult thing is not being injured and still not being able to play. The biggest thing for me was to come somewhere with someone I trust, someone that trusts me, would allow me the opportunity to prove my ability and my fitness."

I've always loved Thorne so I may well be looking at it with rose-tinted glasses but I don't think that's a dig at Derby - And I think a completely fair shout TBH

He was sent out into the cold by Rowett after one bad game (Sunderland at home when the whole team was dire) - And then Lampard didn't even seem to consider him

Maybe reading too much into it.

I took 'other things going on' and 'someone that trusts me' as digs at someone.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe reading too much into it.

I took 'other things going on' and 'someone that trusts me' as digs at someone.

I think the "someone that trusts me" is literally saying that was a requirement for anyone to give him a chance; that most clubs were just looking at his injury record and passing on him.

Archived