George Thorne - joined Oxford permanently

DCFC1388
Message added by Day

Please use the Loan Watch topic to discuss Thorne’s performances at Oxford United

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33312-loan-watch-201920

Will Hughes had/has the talent and potential, but he was absolutely more aesthetically pleasing to watch than he was an impactful footballer. A player of his ability, often encouraged to impact the final third, has less goals and assists than a box-to-box journeyman in Paul Green for Derby County.

No denying his ability, but until he is able to produce the numbers then he's going to be questioned. Watford fans aren't sold on him, completely, so there is an argument that he's not been able to impact the Premier League. Again, for a player of his talent, it's a shame he hasn't had more influence. 

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

His 10 minute highlight video would be just about every minute he ever played for us. 
average player at best,  playing in a great team made him look good....sorry rephrase that...playing with Hughes doing everything made him appear good. 

What a sad comment, but not rare on this forum. At this point if you haven't anything good to say just STFU

After his first start his class was obvious, and we saw it for the rest of the season. So many rubbished our chances of signing him permanently, but we did and mainly because he was so keen to join us. He had great technical ability and a brain to match, but we were robbed of the chance to witness much of it after the pre-season injury. He was never the same again and having a career to match his ability was never going to happen.

7 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

What a sad comment, but not rare on this forum. At this point if you haven't anything good to say just STFU

After his first start his class was obvious, and we saw it for the rest of the season. So many rubbished our chances of signing him permanently, but we did and mainly because he was so keen to join us. He had great technical ability and a brain to match, but we were robbed of the chance to witness much of it after the pre-season injury. He was never the same again and having a career to match his ability was never going to happen.

We signed him permanently because he couldn’t get in a rubbish west brom side...!

he was ok, we have had 50 better midfielders in my lifetime, but he was ok, that’s all 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

We signed him permanently because he couldn’t get in a rubbish west brom side...!

he was ok, we have had 50 better midfielders in my lifetime, but he was ok, that’s all 

WBA were in the Premier league and he chose us, having overcome his first knee injury

I've seen more than 50 better since 1960, but when Thorne joined us we were not in the top flight and he improved us.

As he now leaves, are you such a sad individual is it it beyond you to make one one positive comment?

2 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

WBA were in the Premier league and he chose us, having overcome his first knee injury

I've seen more than 50 better since 1960, but when Thorne joined us we were not in the top flight and he improved us.

As he now leaves, are you such a sad individual is it it beyond you to make one one positive comment?

I just think he was over hyped and just an average player that’s all. I wish him well, seems Lilke he has found his level, shame about his injuries he had for us but I guess that’s football. 
One thing though, the west brim team he couldn’t get near a starting place were absolutely woeful. 

I think you needed to see George play live to fully appreciate his talent. 

It was not just the accuracy of his passes but the pace at which they were seen and delivered that set an attack in motion when little seemed on. 

He had the type of skill I was looking to see when buying my tickets. 

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think you needed to see George play live to fully appreciate his talent. 

It was not just the accuracy of his passes but the pace at which they were seen and delivered that set an attack in motion when little seemed on. 

He had the type of skill I was looking to see when buying my tickets. 

At Wembley, I just kept saying out loud that 'this guy is ridiculous', etc. It was a privilege to watch him that day. 

The other impressive thing about that Thorne clip posted is the amount of forward runs into space and behind defenders by our forward line.

If Rooney had those options in front of him then we'd be laughing. We desperately need a player (or two) like that at the moment.

Was a decent player for us during his first loan spell. Says it all when the majority of the highlight video was made up of the Kappa armband kit season. WBA fans said he was a sick note and were glad to get rid which was odd after his initial spell but now you can see why. Wish him all the best and i hope he has some luck for a change! At only 27 he still has time to prove all his doubters wrong. Good to have another high earner off our wage bill. 

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

the final league table the season before Thorne joined

image.png.c0586cee63311ef49f08c71727272089.png

9 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Just ignore the guy's posts - self-obsessed WUM

12 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Or.....someone with a different opinion to you.....? 

I'm interested if you can name a better midfielder in a Derby shirt than Thorne that has played in this century/millenium.

It's easy saying 50 years, but all your better midfielders were in the first half of that 50 years, when the game was different and it's now seen through hazy rose-tinted nostalgic sentimental memory.

I truly hope he gets going again. Still young in relative terms. All the blather about mental health, can any of us imagine what he’s been through ? Adulation, hope, depths of angst with his fitness, the injuries and the timing of them GT ... you deserve to be a winner and go again. Good luck and may the force be with you 

10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

This is the cop out of an argument you always make which wouldn’t even be valid if it were true. He’d started playing for them, did his ACL, loaned out for fitness and forced a move through to us. 

Archived