Loan watch 2019/20

Carl Sagan

I couldn't find a thread on this season's loanees, so thought I'd start one.

George Thorne came on for Oxford Utd tonight on the 67th minute, with them 0-2 down to Millwall in the League Cup. The game ended 2-2 with Oxford winning on penalties.

I believe it's George's Oxford debut.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair play to Thorne, hopefully he gets his career back on track. Dont think any of our current loans out have any future here though, weird that we don’t have any youths out atm. May be some to go out late in the lower league window.

They have an extra competition to participate in, and a high number are seeing involvement in the first team. We haven’t got enough youth players at the club for us to send some out. I think our first U18 game of the season saw a U16 player step in due to numbers. 

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I couldn't find a thread on this season's loanees, so thought I'd start one.

George Thorne came on for Oxford Utd tonight on the 67th minute, with them 0-2 down to Millwall in the League Cup. The game ended 2-2 with Oxford winning on penalties.

I believe it's George's Oxford debut.

So you're saying Thorne single handedly won them the game against opponents from our league?

Interesting... ?

-I thought Berkoe looked very promising. Found wanting positionally a couple of times, not least for their first goal, but looks to be quick and have good distribution. Thorne, too, as others have mentioned, played the QB role very well, fizzing passes into forward players' feet well. I found players seemed to make more confident and adventurous runs when he had the ball too, recognising his passing ability, which is promising. If we can get him fit and playing consistently he could knit us together brilliantly.

-Was nice when Thorne came on...he could actually pick out the players making runs. As soon as we had a threat behind with Woodburn the game changed. 

-Thornes passing looked really good.

-But he’s well off from being anywhere near match fit. I’d say he needs 6-8weeks.

-Can we just take a second to picture Baptiste collecting from Dickie off the back of a broken down attack, turning out of defence, head up and playing it to Brannagan who then feeds Thorne, cutting inside to Woodburn on the edge of the opposition box and slipping it through to Taylor to make it 1-0...We currently have, what could be (in my opinion) the BEST midfield we have seen for many years. Considering the mix of potential, experience and pedigree that we have right now, its almost a problem and one I am happy to lose sleep over....

-George Thorne - very promising, needs to be fitter.

-Thorne looks some passer of the ball despite his pretty limited mobility.

-On Thorne, it's evident that he's a very good passer of the ball but it's obvious he's still a good few weeks off of any sort of fitness. He looked knackered after 5 minutes on the pitch yesterday. When/if we can get him fit he could be a very useful player.

-Thorne is obviously class.

-When Baptiste is fit, a midfield three of him, Thorne & Brannigan would be immense.

-Agree with the comments re Thorn looked big and strong and good vision. Pen was first class! Unstoppable

-Thorne played two or three cracking passes from deep and that sort of long range accuracy will allow us to turn defence into attack very quickly. He looked a bit heavy to me and is probably a week or two of hard graft away from challenging for a start.

-Agree on Thorne, it was only a cameo and he didn't get the ball for ten mins when he came on, but he struck a few quality balls and passes, and yes Mousinho should have given him the ball more. And he's bloody tall too, always a bonus.

Oxford forums comments on George. They see his quality but it looks like he's some way from being fit, hopefully he works hard gets fit and get's a run in their side!

This will be an interesting one to watch!

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

-I thought Berkoe looked very promising. Found wanting positionally a couple of times, not least for their first goal, but looks to be quick and have good distribution. Thorne, too, as others have mentioned, played the QB role very well, fizzing passes into forward players' feet well. I found players seemed to make more confident and adventurous runs when he had the ball too, recognising his passing ability, which is promising. If we can get him fit and playing consistently he could knit us together brilliantly.

-Was nice when Thorne came on...he could actually pick out the players making runs. As soon as we had a threat behind with Woodburn the game changed. 

-Thornes passing looked really good.

-But he’s well off from being anywhere near match fit. I’d say he needs 6-8weeks.

-Can we just take a second to picture Baptiste collecting from Dickie off the back of a broken down attack, turning out of defence, head up and playing it to Brannagan who then feeds Thorne, cutting inside to Woodburn on the edge of the opposition box and slipping it through to Taylor to make it 1-0...We currently have, what could be (in my opinion) the BEST midfield we have seen for many years. Considering the mix of potential, experience and pedigree that we have right now, its almost a problem and one I am happy to lose sleep over....

-George Thorne - very promising, needs to be fitter.

-Thorne looks some passer of the ball despite his pretty limited mobility.

-On Thorne, it's evident that he's a very good passer of the ball but it's obvious he's still a good few weeks off of any sort of fitness. He looked knackered after 5 minutes on the pitch yesterday. When/if we can get him fit he could be a very useful player.

-Thorne is obviously class.

-When Baptiste is fit, a midfield three of him, Thorne & Brannigan would be immense.

-Agree with the comments re Thorn looked big and strong and good vision. Pen was first class! Unstoppable

-Thorne played two or three cracking passes from deep and that sort of long range accuracy will allow us to turn defence into attack very quickly. He looked a bit heavy to me and is probably a week or two of hard graft away from challenging for a start.

-Agree on Thorne, it was only a cameo and he didn't get the ball for ten mins when he came on, but he struck a few quality balls and passes, and yes Mousinho should have given him the ball more. And he's bloody tall too, always a bonus.

Oxford forums comments on George. They see his quality but it looks like he's some way from being fit, hopefully he works hard gets fit and get's a run in their side!

This will be an interesting one to watch!

nice how this has turned oout to be a thorn watch topic i wonder if oxford fans realise that his him fully fit

4 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

nice how this has turned oout to be a thorn watch topic i wonder if oxford fans realise that his him fully fit

TBH we don't have many players out on loan.

Carson is the only other one of note and I doubt he'll make an appearance!

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

true but please can we say our goodbye to Thorn and put him as a topic to bed,he is on loan yes,will he come back i would say no

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Does he get a Prem League winners medal to add to his Champions League winners one if they win the league even if he doesnt play?

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Does he get a Prem League winners medal to add to his Champions League winners one if they win the league even if he doesnt play?

Hmmmm dunno they used to have to play a percentage of games to get a medal. Not sure if that rule has been changed or not. 

Just checked and he needs to play a minimum of 5 games for a medal..........not going to happen is it.

On 28/08/2019 at 16:57, TommyPowel said:

true but please can we say our goodbye to Thorn and put him as a topic to bed,he is on loan yes,will he come back i would say no

There are still members of the forum that are interested in how our players perform whilst out on loan, regardless if they have a future with us or not. 

32 minutes ago, rynny said:

There are still members of the forum that are interested in how our players perform whilst out on loan, regardless if they have a future with us or not. 

Look at my name dont you think i am aware of that? my comment was for the people who think Thorne has a future with our clibs

Archived