George Thorne - joined Oxford permanently

DCFC1388
Message added by David

Please use the Loan Watch topic to discuss Thorne’s performances at Oxford United

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33312-loan-watch-201920

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Tying his bootlaces, was he?

I know he gets injured a lot, and I know ya just having a laugh, but in all honesty let’s be fair his injuries have come from seriously hard tackles not from something as trivial as tying his boot laces.....the lad has had no luck and that has been Derby’s bad luck also

So what happens now, plays with the U23’s till the end of his contract or by some miracle gets fit and sharp and in the running before the season is over ... wonder how his shoulder is ? Funnily enough I think he has the technical ability to catch Cocu’s eye but fitness, pace huge question marks 

oh what could have been 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

So what happens now, plays with the U23’s till the end of his contract or by some miracle gets fit and sharp and in the running before the season is over ... wonder how his shoulder is ? Funnily enough I think he has the technical ability to catch Cocu’s eye but fitness, pace huge question marks 

oh what could have been 

This^.

I've never been so excited by a signing, couldn't believe we'd pulled it off and thought WBA must be bonkers!

Later on his signing was used to knock Sam Rush with the way it was structured, but in hindsight it was an incredible deal from our end.

Half upfront, and a large appearance fee every time he played up to a max of £4.25m.

Without hindsight, an upfront total of £4.25m was still a bargain, at the time he joined.

When he did his ACL in pre-season, it was gutting but inevitable due to his pre existing condition, it was always going to happen at some point.

His other injuries are sheer bad luck though, he doesn't get niggles he can carry, but whoppers that stop him in his tracks!

I get the feeling he wasn't that impressed with the care he received after the leg break and subsequent infection, but he signed an extension and went out on loan, worked to build his fitness up, then starts in the League Cup and immediately picks up another shuddering injury.

I assume he'll be back with us now, and nearing a return to training?

I'd put him on a personal regime, get him as fit physically and mentally as possible before the end of his contract, give him every chance to put these past few years behind him and see where he is come summer.

I'd love to see him put himself in a position where we might give him another year, but realistically I think the best we can do is build him up enough to get a deal elsewhere, sadly.

Oh, what could have been.

Even when fit he couldn't get a game at Luton last year in league 1. He wasn't starting at Oxford.

I think MM implied that his career at this level over in some forum. 

He'll end up in league 1 or 2 on a pay as you play deal I suspect

Well if he has any chance he seems to be under the right coaching team seeing how Martin, Forsyth,etc were supported back to the point it was up to them to then fight for their places. I may be wrong but it seems a supportive environment if a player's attitude is right

17 minutes ago, offthepost said:

Interesting to hear the manager essentially wants to keep him around because he's a great bloke to have around. I do wonder what he'll do next after the summer, is it too early to start thinking about coaching? 

I’d say go for it. It sounds like George has enjoyed the fresh start and fits in well. Always liked him as a player and he spoke well in interviews so it’s nice to hear what impact he has on their squad. Robinson got in to coaching at an early age so he could be a good mentor for perhaps? Such a shame it never worked here, he was so good on his day. I wish him all the luck as it’s about time he got some!

I’m glad for him, I hope we agree to it.

After everything he’s been through it must be a boost to know you’re still wanted. 

Weird how we didn’t rehabilitate him though - Would suggest to me that he had no future with us.

Reading that article it suggests it's as much about his influence off the pitch as on it. He said 'he's a good player' and would basically use him when fixtures come thick and fast perhaps suggesting GT's not back to his best (i.e. if he was, he'd be the first name on the team sheet) and probably never will be.

Massive shame for us and him. Hope GT manages to read some of the good wishes made here and elsewhere - respect is due. 

On 04/01/2020 at 18:51, jono said:

Funnily enough I think he has the technical ability to catch Cocu’s eye but fitness, pace huge question marks

Doesn't stop him picking Huddlestone. I just hope Mel or someone has a word with PC and says have another look at this guy. When we signed him he was a class above. Before we let him go just have another look. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to block the youth but he's still of decent age and will be around after Hudds and Rooney. 

On 04/01/2020 at 22:01, Gritty said:

Even when fit he couldn't get a game at Luton last year in league 1. He wasn't starting at Oxford.

I think that's a little unfair - A little like when we signed him he went to a Luton team doing very well who wouldn't want to rock the boat - If you remember when he first joined us an aged Eustace was keeping him out of the team

The suggestion was at Oxford that they were easing him in slowly

5 hours ago, offthepost said:

I like Robinson as a manager so would love to see Thorne go there for a bit longer - Get some proper game time under his belt 

28 minutes ago, Rample said:

Doesn't stop him picking Huddlestone. I just hope Mel or someone has a word with PC and says have another look at this guy. When we signed him he was a class above. Before we let him go just have another look. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to block the youth but he's still of decent age and will be around after Hudds and Rooney. 

I would normally agree with you cos I think on form he's the best DM we've had for years and years

But - I wonder whether a break with Derby would be good for Thorne - He's had a horrible time here between injuries and then (IMO) fairly rough treatment from Rowett plus being pretty much ignored for a year by Lampard - I would have thought it'd be good for his confidence to get shot of us and rebuild

Archived