George Thorne - joined Oxford permanently

DCFC1388
Message added by David

Please use the Loan Watch topic to discuss Thorne’s performances at Oxford United

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33312-loan-watch-201920

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I assume you mean this:

Thorne told Sky Sports News: "It was key for me to start enjoying football again. The last few years, because I haven't been playing football and other things were going on, I wasn't enjoying going into work at Derby and enjoying myself. I was going in and training with the kids.

"The most difficult thing is not being injured and still not being able to play. The biggest thing for me was to come somewhere with someone I trust, someone that trusts me, would allow me the opportunity to prove my ability and my fitness."

I've always loved Thorne so I may well be looking at it with rose-tinted glasses but I don't think that's a dig at Derby - And I think a completely fair shout TBH

He was sent out into the cold by Rowett after one bad game (Sunderland at home when the whole team was dire) - And then Lampard didn't even seem to consider him

It must be a dig at Derby. it may also be completely fair.

i assumed when frank came in that george would soon be back in the groove. At the fans forum in alvaston towards the end of franks season, i think the audience were a bit shocked to hear mel say that some players who had been injured couldn't do it anymore and were effectively surplus to requirements. He can only have meant george. 

He was a great player, and it was such a shame that he had so many bad injuries. I always expected him to come back. I still expect him to make a come back of sorts. We are never going to know whether the issue was fitness or finance (with additional monies due to west brom every time he put his boots on) or both. But its a shame that it never worked out.

P.s. I think he is better player than Bielik but Max Bird is the future. 

(Until some premier league side starts waving ten barkers under our noses).

Always found it a bit odd how he could come back from a couple of ACL injuries and still be perfectly capable of performing well in a promotion chasing Championship team, yet a broken leg & infection was his ultimate undoing and the injury that destroyed his career at this level.

The 'training with the kids' comment was a bit cliché tbh, very outdated,  training with the kids at Derby is a ducking privilege!

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

i assumed when frank came in that george would soon be back in the groove. At the fans forum in alvaston towards the end of franks season, i think the audience were a bit shocked to hear mel say that some players who had been injured couldn't do it anymore and were effectively surplus to requirements. He can only have meant george. 

He was a great player, and it was such a shame that he had so many bad injuries. I always expected him to come back. I still expect him to make a come back of sorts. We are never going to know whether the issue was fitness or finance (with additional monies due to west brom every time he put his boots on) or both. But its a shame that it never worked out.

P.s. I think he is better player than Bielik but Max Bird is the future. 

(Until some premier league side starts waving ten barkers under our noses).

I very much doubt you would invest in a player knowing that you would stop playing him as soon as the so called extra money to a previous club kicks in after so many games.

George in his tenure did not play that many times for Derby to be honest, so it would be a very badly drawn up contract we signed up to if that was the case.

The very fact he had some appalling injuries and so much time out and that 2 managers overlooked him really does point to the fact he is not quite where he was.

55 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I very much doubt you would invest in a player knowing that you would stop playing him as soon as the so called extra money to a previous club kicks in after so many games.

George in his tenure did not play that many times for Derby to be honest, so it would be a very badly drawn up contract we signed up to if that was the case.

The very fact he had some appalling injuries and so much time out and that 2 managers overlooked him really does point to the fact he is not quite where he was.

Didn’t Leeds stop playing Seth Johnson due to an appearance fee due to us if he played again?

According to reports Thorne’s was per appearance rather than for a set milestone. Would have been a bargain if he remained injury free. Sadly, that wasn’t the case. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Didn’t Leeds stop playing Seth Johnson due to an appearance fee due to us if he played again?

Yep, that’s right. 

If Thorne can adjust his game to work around his limitations he may still be a good player at that level or even higher. Fair play to the bloke - wish him well. 

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

According to reports Thorne’s was per appearance rather than for a set milestone. Would have been a bargain if he remained injury free. Sadly, that wasn’t the case. 

If this is/was the case, George surely can see why they stopped playing him. He definitely did not reach the standards he arrived with. Until he did then keeping him away from the first team was just good business sense.

Does this type of contract also just prove how rubbish it is? If this was not the case then George might have been given time to prove himself in the first team. 

Shame for him

15 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe reading too much into it.

I took 'other things going on' and 'someone that trusts me' as digs at someone.

I think the someone who trusts me thing is just a positive comment about his new boss but ?‍♂️

12 hours ago, RamNut said:

I still think if Thorne has a bad taste in his mouth about Derby it must be Lampard related - He played a decent number of games under Rowett - Whilst I think he seemed to be unfairly blamed by Rowett for the Sunderland game at least Rowett gave him a crack - Lampard seemed to bin him off on arrival

Would be interesting to see what Cocu thinks of him - I wonder if the Bielik deal was already in place and therefore he didn't feel Thorne was going to be part of the side anyway?

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think the someone who trusts me thing is just a positive comment about his new boss but ?‍♂️

I still think if Thorne has a bad taste in his mouth about Derby it must be Lampard related - He played a decent number of games under Rowett - Whilst I think he seemed to be unfairly blamed by Rowett for the Sunderland game at least Rowett gave him a crack - Lampard seemed to bin him off on arrival

Would be interesting to see what Cocu thinks of him - I wonder if the Bielik deal was already in place and therefore he didn't feel Thorne was going to be part of the side anyway?

Cant help but think that the £12500 per appearance didnt help the situation. 

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

If anyone has any doubt that he was shot take a look at the Oxford vs Newcastle cup game - he is on for the last part of extra time only but I watched pretty much only him during that time and it's as clear as day he's no longer of the standard of even a League One club. Sad, but utterly irrefutable.

The thing about Thorne was not actually the player but the cruelty of it to the club, he was the last piece in the puzzle and had he stayed fit it's pretty hard to see us not getting promoted. But he didn't and we didn't and we are still in the same place we have been for ten years - next season is the one we make the push. Barker was pretty much the same story, but his injury impacted the future of the club far less so we don't remember it as being so pivotal.

Football is a cruel game, for George, for Sean and for us. Most of all for us......

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

If anyone has any doubt that he was shot take a look at the Oxford vs Newcastle cup game - he is on for the last part of extra time only but I watched pretty much only him during that time and it's as clear as day he's no longer of the standard of even a League One club. Sad, but utterly irrefutable.

The thing about Thorne was not actually the player but the cruelty of it to the club, he was the last piece in the puzzle and had he stayed fit it's pretty hard to see us not getting promoted. But he didn't and we didn't and we are still in the same place we have been for ten years - next season is the one we make the push. Barker was pretty much the same story, but his injury impacted the future of the club far less so we don't remember it as being so pivotal.

Football is a cruel game, for George, for Sean and for us. Most of all for us......

Judging him on one of his first games after a long time out injured? He had played 1 minute of football since his injury in September, and just 36 minutes of first team football last season. We've seen how rusty some players get after missing just a few games.

Did you know we only lost 3 league games when Thorne played in 17/18? [20 apps, 7 starts] The first of those he came on for the final 7 minutes as when we were already 1-0 down. The other two against Fulham and Sunderland after not playing for a few games. He was a regular starter in our unbeaten run around Christmas time. The first game he missed, we lost.

When you look at players like Fozzy who has had a couple of ACL injuries and has comeback from them and into the first team picture, i think with Thorne, it was a combination of not just his time with us, but with WBA aswell. Their fans were happy he left as he was in the treatment room as much with them as with us. His morale must have been at rock bottom constantly and feel like the world is against him. How many did Fozzy have? 2/3.. Thorne must be in double figures.

It is a shame he has had so much bad luck with injuries as we all know what a fully fit Thorne is capable of! You could argue that had he stayed fit, he would not have been in a Derby shirt for long if we had not achieved promotion (Hendrick and Hughes come to mind).

I wish him well and i hope he can have a period where he can stay fit.

As for his comments, i remember seeing a vid that one of the players posted on Instagram (think it may have been Waggy) when they were on preseason in the US and Thorne was in the pool post game doing a cool down and the uploader was laughing at him. Showed the dedication Thorne had in trying to remain fit and try to impress. Possibly was just a joke vid but Thorne looked up at him and could easily see it as a piss take.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Judging him on one of his first games after a long time out injured? He had played 1 minute of football since his injury in September, and just 36 minutes of first team football last season. We've seen how rusty some players get after missing just a few games.

Did you know we only lost 3 league games when Thorne played in 17/18? [20 apps, 7 starts] The first of those he came on for the final 7 minutes as when we were already 1-0 down. The other two against Fulham and Sunderland after not playing for a few games. He was a regular starter in our unbeaten run around Christmas time. The first game he missed, we lost.

Paragraph One: bump it when I'm proved wrong and I will happily put the humble pie in the oven to bake

Paragraph Two: Errm, OK

On 12/02/2020 at 08:54, cheron85 said:

It was properly embarrassing seeing him warm down by himself after the Southampton friendly pre-season 2018 having been the only player not to come on when Bird and maybe even Sibley did.

We all have our own opinions of Thorne and in his shoes I can understand him feeling a little let down by the club. At the same time, football is a cut throat business and I thought from the stands that he had lost a half yard, perhaps more? He was never the most athletic player in the world, but at his best he could make the entire pitch rotate round him and he was always an option for teammates. It took the opposition to place a man on him at all times for him to become less effective, even at times that wasn't enough. 

At the moment he's struggling to get in the Oxford team, an unused sub in his last three games - he has less than 90 minutes combined from 5 appearances this season. He's got to get himself right before he can even imply that it was a mistake for Derby to let him go or not play him. I'll always have a lot of time for him and I'll always look out for him, so it would be pleasing to see him get to that level. 

On 12/02/2020 at 09:01, G STAR RAM said:

Cant help but think that the £12500 per appearance didnt help the situation. 

What a deal that was though.

£2m up front, and £12.5k a game upto a maximum of £4.25m.

Absolutely a bargain deal based on what we'd seen, and a credit to the man who negotiated it.

What happened to him?

On 12/02/2020 at 00:14, Dimmu said:

Broken leg and ACL are complete different injuries. Believe me.

Bones are simple and those heal well, meanwhile joints are the weakest part og humanoids...

Some broken legs aren't though. Broke mine in four places at 25 and there is no way I could play again for ninety minutes anyway. 

Archived