Pre Season Friendly v Rangers (A)

DarkFruitsRam7

I think everyone on here is just crying out for some signings. We need quality and we need it soon.

Derby County as a football club shouldn't be happy to finish mid table in the Championship no matter the "transition", weve been close the past 5 seasons, why let a managerial change stop us now? players leaving? replace them! manager left? we upgraded! disrupted pre season? as many have said the season is 46 games long!

Im amazed that we have left it this late to make signings, i know Cocu had to assess his squad but after the Florida trip and Burton game i think you would of had a very good indication of what needs adding. Get 4 in this week and get them in the line up for Huddersfield.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I think everyone on here is just crying out for some signings. We need quality and we need it soon.

Derby County as a football club shouldn't be happy to finish mid table in the Championship no matter the "transition", weve been close the past 5 seasons, why let a managerial change stop us now? players leaving? replace them! manager left? we upgraded! disrupted pre season? as many have said the season is 46 games long!

Im amazed that we have left it this late to make signings, i know Cocu had to assess his squad but after the Florida trip and Burton game i think you would of had a very good indication of what needs adding. Get 4 in this week and get them in the line up for Huddersfield.

Finances are clearly up against it at the moment, I think it's fair to say that. We maybe in a better position next season due to the 3 year cycle of FFP and the limited spending more recently. It's definitely frustrating, but we can't just spunk money and jeopardise the club in doing so.

I think we likely have a couple of pre-agreed loans and we are waiting on the Premier League teams to finalise their 25 man squads, at which point they will release the youngsters to join on loan. It's a bit frustrating because it means they come in late, but it's not uncommon unfortunately.

Most of us have a good idea of what we need by now so I'm hoping Cocu does too. In my opinion, a defensive midfielder with range and presence is a must as we cannot start with Huddlestone in any game where we are not going to be completely dominant with the ball. Potentially a centre back and attacking player too. I can't see more than 3 at the absolute maximum from here, and even then that maybe pushing it.

On paper, the start of the season is very tough anyway and this doesn't help, but in a weird way, I guess it means we can just go out and see what's what before any new guys get bedded in. Hopefully, it doesn't take a Leeds-style August humbling to get us rolling though.

16 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think we likely have a couple of pre-agreed loans and we are waiting on the Premier League teams to finalise their 25 man squads, at which point they will release the youngsters to join on loan. 

Is there a set date for that to happen?

Hopefully Cocu will see that Lawrence and jafoozon have a large tendency to go missing with their backs to the ball whilst walking away - we can’t start both together as we simply can’t carry them. We know both our full backs don’t stop crosses and we hope bogle learns how to do it correctly but malone never will as supporters at 10 clubs will tell you! We do need to get the ball to the centre forward whoever it is and whilst waghorn is ok up there we would probably gain more by playing Martin up top and waghorn wider on the right - the most pleasing thing about Shinnie being booed by Rangers fans when he came on indicated that he can and has actually influence games against them. Yes we need a centre half as Evans is doing ok but it’s only a sticking plaster for me. Huddlestone we all admire the great passing and calmness but we always seem to get overrun and the others don’t go forward as much or that might be my imagination 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is there a set date for that to happen?

I think officially it's as the transfer window shuts, but realistically they'll be starting those conversations at this point you'd guess. Obviously, players like Dowell were nowhere near the first team squad so could get sent out much earlier.

This last two months at Derby have been an abomination- a piss taking former manager . Chelsea taking the piss and leaving us dangling for the same period .  A total lack of any comprehensive transfer activity in/out for 6 weeks because of it when we were so clearly limited anyway.  The only players we seemed to be interested in keeping from those out of contract leaving- one the day after he was on Radio Derby  saying how he was looking forward to the season and the contract should be completed today . 

We have had a pre season designed for Franks PR- the bloke who organised the American side of preseason said as much and how the fans there were disappointed Frank wasn't coming as arranged .  The same with Rangers -Stevie V Frank a PR dream.  Absolutly nothing to do with Derby or preseason fitness.

We are that desperate to find some kind of platform to play we are trying Bennett in midfield- is he the new Steve Cross or is that going to be Anya whose popped up again , dragged from the cupboard full of old medicince balls and hosed down .   I'm afraid we are beginning to resemble Forest when they were getting the Abdouns of the world on loan having spent up - can't really avoid that under FFP regs for a year , maybe two but we should have been so much better prepared for it .  

Guys - Cocu has been here for about 2 minutes - I don't think there's any need for panic

Last year our start to the season was a last minute win against a bang average Reading side (who I don't recall us being much better than) followed by a humping from Leeds, losing away to Milwall and then not being overly impressive against a terrible Ipswich side

It'll take time for the squad to gel properly under a new manager - He's been brought in for some continuity in football style but there's still going to be some evolution and therefore time needed to settle

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Guys - Cocu has been here for about 2 minutes - I don't think there's any need for panic

Last year our start to the season was a last minute win against a bang average Reading side (who I don't recall us being much better than) followed by a humping from Leeds, losing away to Milwall and then not being overly impressive against a terrible Ipswich side

It'll take time for the squad to gel properly under a new manager - He's been brought in for some continuity in football style but there's still going to be some evolution and therefore time needed to settle

Back in the day......70s

my old man (RIP) used to always say “son don’t worry about the first four matches - probably lucky to get 2 draws, 2 losses. Rams always start bad....

don't look at the table....

trouble  is we then went on to win the remaining 36 matches lol - can’t see us doing that now....even in 2nd division 

Cos we had a sh&t hot  team...

and I could have bet me bag of sherbert Lemons  bought on Shaftesbury st - that we would never lose at home...

9 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

Barring the 1 on 1 in the first half he didn't make a single save that wasn't regulation.

Some serious Roos tinted views on here tonight.

Wasn"t poor, wasn't brilliant. Just did what a keeper at this level should do.

I wouldn't say Roos was brilliant yesterday, however he did seem to have a lot more confidence about him but he also needs to have confidence in his back row regarding crosses. It will be as obvious to him as it is to us that the back 4 cannot be relied upon to defend crosses,

1 hour ago, TommyPowel said:

Lawrence plays like a petulant schoolboy.He should have been sent off other than that he didnt offer anything constructive

boy he certainly has a nasty streak in him.  Why can't he just knuckle down and put all his efforts in to playing.  That incident with the Rangers captain was embarrassing, gets caught out, then goes in late and then squares up tot he guy.  Something wrong in his head.  It feels to me for the first time that we need to move him on sooner rather than later

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Finances are clearly up against it at the moment, I think it's fair to say that. We maybe in a better position next season due to the 3 year cycle of FFP and the limited spending more recently. It's definitely frustrating, but we can't just spunk money and jeopardise the club in doing so.

I think we likely have a couple of pre-agreed loans and we are waiting on the Premier League teams to finalise their 25 man squads, at which point they will release the youngsters to join on loan. It's a bit frustrating because it means they come in late, but it's not uncommon unfortunately.

Most of us have a good idea of what we need by now so I'm hoping Cocu does too. In my opinion, a defensive midfielder with range and presence is a must as we cannot start with Huddlestone in any game where we are not going to be completely dominant with the ball. Potentially a centre back and attacking player too. I can't see more than 3 at the absolute maximum from here, and even then that maybe pushing it.

On paper, the start of the season is very tough anyway and this doesn't help, but in a weird way, I guess it means we can just go out and see what's what before any new guys get bedded in. Hopefully, it doesn't take a Leeds-style August humbling to get us rolling though.

I think you're right. 

Lots of doom & gloom on here but I'm not too perturbed about the result or even the performance. 

Firstly, lets not underestimate Rangers. They're a very good side by our standards & have started their season already - that gap in match fitness will have massively contributed to the gap between us and them. 

You tend to learn more about teams when they're beaten & Cocu will have learnt more about that starting XI than at any point since joining us - their ability to execute under real pressure, their willingness to want the ball & desire to keep running even though things weren't going great. One of Cocu's main tasks is to raise the effectiveness & performance levels of existing players, so seeing them under the type of pressure they were under at Ibrox gives him & the coaching team some pointers as to where we're weak. Yes, creativity is a concern but it often was last season - it was the moments of individual brilliance that took us into the top 6 rather than the team being particularly cohesive.

Whether this accelerates new signings, young players being introduced more quickly or even formation changes we will see but yesterday was potentially a very valuable exercise for this coming season.

p.s. good to see Roos coming back strongly after Burton & Keogh/Evans partnership looks increasingly promising

4 hours ago, Srg said:

I thought (guessed) that the sale of the ground last season gave us quite a bit of leeway within FFP.

Therefore Is it FFP that’s the barrier for lack of incoming transfers or given the noise around investment being sought MM has put a reign of the spending ? 

I’m surprised that given the way Cocus last job ended, that he would have signed a contract where he would have to work with a squad that is vastly in-superior to what his predecessor was in charge off, however maybe there is more going on behind the scenes than we are aware off.

Who is in charge of recruitment these days anyway ?  

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This last two months at Derby have been an abomination- a piss taking former manager . Chelsea taking the piss and leaving us dangling for the same period .  A total lack of any comprehensive transfer activity in/out for 6 weeks because of it when we were so clearly limited anyway.  The only players we seemed to be interested in keeping from those out of contract leaving- one the day after he was on Radio Derby  saying how he was looking forward to the season and the contract should be completed today . 

We have had a pre season designed for Franks PR- the bloke who organised the American side of preseason said as much and how the fans there were disappointed Frank wasn't coming as arranged .  The same with Rangers -Stevie V Frank a PR dream.  Absolutly nothing to do with Derby or preseason fitness.

We are that desperate to find some kind of platform to play we are trying Bennett in midfield- is he the new Steve Cross or is that going to be Anya whose popped up again , dragged from the cupboard full of old medicince balls and hosed down .   I'm afraid we are beginning to resemble Forest when they were getting the Abdouns of the world on loan having spent up - can't really avoid that under FFP regs for a year , maybe two but we should have been so much better prepared for it .  

heres a few facts you seem to have missed our clubs hands were tied where signings were concerned there was no point Mel doing anything player wise until PC was legally our manager.The idea of pre season matches is so the manager can try different players in different roles  and different situations some work some dont.Last of all why pick on Bennett and Anya they werent the worst players on the pitch.And i will say this about Anya, I have watched all 6 preseasons on line,and Anya has given is all for every minute he has played.You cant blame him the managers because managers didnt give him a chance.

5 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Signings must be better than what we have and need to hit the ground running. BJ should have stayed.if Roos gets injured after one game we are down to Mitchell and Rsvad if Carson goes without replacement. Get another GK before Carson goes, if he does.

Archived