Pre Season Friendly v Rangers (A)

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I know every year we say it's going to be a transition season but I really do believe that this will be a genuine one which we will have to be patient with.

It doesn't look as though we are bringing any big signings in,maybe a couple of decent loans but we are going to be relying on the old guard and bringing on the new boys,which to be fair,do show the beginnings of genuine talent.

Good thing is cocu wont leave unless he gets promoted. Top 6 even wouldnt be enough to get teams in prem to want him. Same would have been for lampard if he didnt have this chelsea love-in

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hey nyderby,I apologise for being a grumpy bugger,I hate us losing.

Welcome to the forums,always good to have friends from the states on here and anyway we will be needing good relations post 31 October ?

l0MYC0LajbaPoEADu.gif

Accepted and appreciated mate!

Have been very disappointed with our lack of transfer activity. The Lampard circus has put us well behind in our preparations. Today's performance is wake up call, but will it be heeded?

I’ll start by saying the same thing I said during one of the USA games but ‘friendly games aren’t for everyone’. They are games designed for players fitness and nothing else. You can try out new systems but you aren’t really gonna know if they work until you get into the league games (basically if the attackers are playing at 80% and the defenders are playing at 80% then it’s impossible to know how it will work in a game that matters). Frankly, I’d be more concerned if we were winning games and dominating. We know there’s stuff to work on, a new style of play and partnerships need to blossom, especially Keogh and Evans and that’s going to take time to settle. There’s no new issues after today, it’s just that we know every player now needs to step up and prove that they deserve the shirt.

If you went to Glasgow then you should go for the experience of being a visiting football fan in another city rather than the game. Go have a few drinks, represent your club and have a laugh, in my eyes the 90 minutes is the most insignificant part of what

Interesting contrasts over pre-season, where we have looked good and not so good in about equal measures, I would say.

There is a curious mix of players (usually the younger ones but also fringe players) going all out to impress and earn a place in the team and more established first choices strolling around, putting minutes in the legs and making sure they don't get injured before the real stuff kicks off. 

We seem to have had rather more of those on the pitch today and the new manager "clean sheet" notwithstanding, we are looking very much like last season's first picks are there or thereabouts again.

This makes for curious watching as we are uncertain whether these players will step up a gear when they need to. They also demonstrate all their usual bad habits, which can be a little infuriating to the fans - me included! 

On today's performance, I am still exasperated that our full backs between them seem incapable of putting in sufficient challenge to stop routine crosses into the box. There's no wonder people are calling out Keogh, Evans and Roos as the best players today as they saw most of the ball and had the opportunity to shine. Thankfully they did, apart from that one header for the goal.

I don’t think we've got a challenger at right back but I think Lowe will be considered a little unlucky if he hasn't done enough to get in the team over Malone on today's performance.  He was excellent  on Thursday and kept a very lively forward quiet as well as playing some good forward passes.

Bogle and Malone can be forgiven a lot when they are supporting the attack but they hardly did enough of that today to be excused. Need to try harder.

It's difficult to rate the more forward players today as they had so little service. But I have to single out Tom Lawrence (one of my favourites) for a poor effort. When is he going to realise that he's not one of the youngsters any more and take some responsibility for creating something for the team? Instead, he gets involved in petty squabbles and loses his way after a bright start. Definitely needs to try harder. 

That leaves midfield and oh dear, we still have our main problems there,  don't we? Somebody earlier said Tom Huddlestone is a Rolls Royce of a player. That may well be true, but we aren't negotiating a wide open country road, we'll be playing another season on the bloody A38 and I'd rather have an Audi for the trip, along with an annoying driver who nips in front of you and takes your space, turns left and right without indicating, and puts his foot down when needed.  Tom, you're a luxury we can't afford. Prove me wrong! 

Will Shinnie and Dowell start together when the season kicks off? I think they have to if we're going to keep Huddlestone in the team. And it will allow Dowell to play further forward and be more creative. If that doesn't work, then we need to get Holmes fit pretty soon or consider using Sibley and Knight, if only as impact subs.

Only when they get a little more service, can we start to judge the forwards. I've still got high hopes for them.

I'm not desperate for new signings yet, but we do seem a little lacking in that quality player who can change a match single-handedly. 

Looking forward to the real thing kicking off; then we can judge more fairly.

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Frankly, I’d be more concerned if we were winning games and dominating.

Oh aye.....we don't want that.  ?

39 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've highlighted the pertinent part of your email which isn't true, it should read due to having enormous parachute payments post relegation from the Premiership. 

They have signed a Portuguese winger from Wolves who was reportedly wanted by Derby. Knockaert is a proven player at championship level.

I understand they have parachute payments but there are other clubs who are able to challenge through shrewd recruitment and player development without soending millions. Norwich City and Sheffield United are two teams who spring to mind.

50 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Oh well. Guess it's the end of the world, may as well stick money on our relegation already. Think it's silly to be so negative already, we have a title winning new manager, we have an amazing academy with some players looking ready for first team action, we'll bring in some new recruits shortly, we're building up in the right way.

I am enthusiastic about the new manager and given time I don't see why he can't do well. However he hasn't necessarily got lots of time and needs to bring in some new recruits to ensure the season isn't a write off from day one.

Just now, RamNut said:

Oh aye.....we don't want that.  ?

Championship is a long and difficult season, the worst thing you can do is get over confident, or a false sense of security, and get worked out within ten games. I’d rather we have problems now, address them as we go along and grow as the season goes on.

I’m a bit confused that quite a few people have said Keogh and Evans played well then went on to say we need a new CB? 

Is that a squad CB or first choice CB? 

Anyway, after Girona and Rangers it’s a bit of a reality check for Cocu which is a good thing as he might realise the midfield just isn’t good enough and needs sorting out. Get a quality DM in who can move, break up play and start attacks off by playing simple balls through the lines.

A few things I hate about Pre Season...

Transfer gossip and it's lingo 

Talk about an elastic band that goes on one of our players

The reaction to friendlies. When we win everyone has a positive feeling about the season. When we lose everyone has a bad feeling about the season. 

I mean how are you supposed to "build" fitness? How can you evaluate players? How can you try new ideas? How can you experiment with your game? 

If only there was a series of games you had that had nothing riding on them. Where you could build up towards the season. See which players are going to be useful. See which youngster is not too far away. All without it costing you anything.

Unfortunately you can't. Because if you win a "friendly" then you're set to win the league. If you lose then you're set for a hard season

I mean some idiots may suggest that it's possible to continue to develop during the season. Crazy talk. 

Derby have had a very disruptive pre season. The players came back to no manager. The manager met with them in Florida. The first pre season game was abandoned. The manager has had to crack on with the job of managing Derby without ever being in Derby. His time at Moor Farm has been limited. I bet he doesn't know his Allestree from his Allenton. His Duffield from Normanton  

That is a concern 

But the performance in pre season? Nah. It never really is. Once the season is underway and you're going from Saturday to Tuesday then pre season becomes a memory. Your win over Bristol is irrelevant. Nobody cares to remember it. The real hard work and the real output is there every few days. Play, recover, prep, repeat. From now until May. 

Pre season and early season has teams coming in at different levels of preparation. Some are looking for that key player. Some are trying to hold on to that key player. Some are a tinker away from success and others are going to come out all guns blazing before holding up the white flag in November. 

Don't start. Not in July, man

Having watched the match highlights, a few random comments:-

Nice to see Roos have a good game

CB position is a real cause for concern, not sure Evans is a CB, Davies isn’t fit, we have no backup. Keogh badly at fault for their goal, worrying defending from the corner. We need a dominant CB if we are to avoid conceding a lot of goals from set pieces.

We seem short of battlers, someone to do the dirty work especially now BJ has gone, really hope Shinnie can step up as a CDM.

Why are we giving game time to Anya? Surely better to give Sibley or Bird a go unless there is a real and scary possibility that he could be part of the squad this season.

Could be a long and difficult season....

7 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Having watched the match highlights, a few random comments:-

Nice to see Roos have a good game

CB position is a real cause for concern, not sure Evans is a CB, Davies isn’t fit, we have no backup. Keogh badly at fault for their goal, worrying defending from the corner. We need a dominant CB if we are to avoid conceding a lot of goals from set pieces.

We seem short of battlers, someone to do the dirty work especially now BJ has gone, really hope Shinnie can step up as a CDM.

Why are we giving game time to Anya? Surely better to give Sibley or Bird a go unless there is a real and scary possibility that he could be part of the squad this season.

Could be a long and difficult season....

I missed the goal. Only popped off for a drink but I though Keogh was a bit of a beast. If he was at fault for the goal then it was undeserved after he spent so much time, along with Roos, cleaning up everyone else's mess

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

If you went to Glasgow then you should go for the experience of being a visiting football fan in another city rather than the game. Go have a few drinks, represent your club and have a laugh, in my eyes the 90 minutes is the most insignificant part of what

This exactly.

And @angieram, I don’t think I’ve heard you moan so much! You’re bang on with every point though. 

Roos .. Man of match by a mile .. 9

Bogle .. poor game, no further development apparent this season .. 4

Keogh .. his usual solid defensive performance, and confident in bringing the ball out .. 8

Evans .. confident and assured, becoming a good partner for Keogh .. 7 

Malone .. bit shaky at times and no forward runs .. 5

Huddlestone .. not his best game ever, but mostly assured under the constant pressure .. 6

Dowell .. not completely integrated as yet, so jury still out .. 6 

Lawrence .. better in midfield than on wing but just as frustrating .. 4

Jozefzoon .. no sign of any improvement whatsoever, shouldn’t get any more chances .. 3 

Bennett .. ever a trier, but still not Championship standard and never will be .. 4 

Waghorn .. ok no service to speak of, but can’t hold the ball up when he does get it, and no threat against the better teams .. 5 

Give us Chris Martin PLEASE Mr. Cocu .. 

Archived