Pre Season Friendly v Burton Albion (A)

EnigmaRam
Message added by Day

Is it me or is this current 11 played all 3 games so far and the other 11 played the second part? 

I wonder if Cocu would obviously mix the two to make his FIRST 11 against Rangers? 

My worry is they wont have played together. Hope I am getting my point across so I am understood 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

A performance full of promise Roos looks the weak link to me.Dowel(who needs Mount) Hudds Jozefoon outstanding no all outstanding breathtaking at times

Have to agree bout Roos. All his great saves are right at him. Seemed lost for their goal. Would have Carson personally 

1 minute ago, Shang said:

Interesting to see that Jonathan Mitchell is involved playing one-touch during half time break! Hasn't even got his gloves on! 

Roos was very involved in the quick passing from the back, Cocu probably wants his keepers to be really comfortable on the ball.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

4 at the back is an exaggeration.

Bogle was in the box as much as anyone!

217 sometimes ? 

The right side is playing completely differently to the left as well which is quite interesting. Bogle is coming to the centre quite often to get involved in the attacks and Jozefzoon is sticking out wide. Meanwhile on the left Malone is staying as wide as possible and Lawrence and Bennett are both playing more centrally. And they're interchanging with each other but neither has really done the same with Jozefzoon

Just now, Ruda Harliss said:

Would have Carson personally 

Carson wouldn't have been able to play that way in the first half, regardless of shot stopping, Roos was good in his passing, he received the ball to his feet a lot and was passing it around often. 

Few thoughts:

- Bogle appears to be playing like an inverted full-back. He keeps cutting inside meeting Dowell in the middle of the pitch. This is a tactic made famous by Guardiola sides.

- Enjoying watching Evans play at centre-half. Looks so comfortable there and his distribution has been largely really good. 

- Huddlestone looking a bit too ponderous for me: distribution got better as the game went on but I feel we will need someone doing that role who is more mobile.

- Dowell makes things happen. Like him.

- Lawrence and Malone linking up really nicely down the left hand side. Malone clearly relishes the attacking full-back role.

- Bennett causing a few issues but, once again,  I feel we will be debating the question of his quality.

- Jozefzoon looking like a different player. Quick and causing problems down the right-hand side. Looks good.

- Waggy not seeing as much of the ball as I thought he would. Still questions over his link-up play but he has also scored a 37 minute hattrick so you can't complain. 

Seeing really positive signs from the way we are trying to play. I was already feeling madly positive when we brought in Cocu but this is just reinforcing why this is such a perfect appointment for us. 

6 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Looks like we are going to play some excellent football this season, is this what Mel meant by the Derby way, Huddlestone could shine in this Derby team Coku is going to let the players play with freedom, the young lads are going to learn so much from Coku, Chelsea will be gutted they missed out on Coku, so glad we got him.

Coku? Try to spell his name correctly, it's not difficult, especially if you're going to use it three times in the same paragraph.

I'm happy he's here but let's not get carried away just yet. 

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Is it me or is this current 11 played all 3 games so far and the other 11 played the second part? 

I wonder if Cocu would obviously mix the two to make his FIRST 11 against Rangers? 

My worry is they wont have played together. Hope I am getting my point across so I am understood 

How do you know this isn’t his preferred XI?

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

The right side is playing completely differently to the left as well which is quite interesting. Bogle is coming to the centre quite often to get involved in the attacks and Jozefzoon is sticking out wide. Meanwhile on the left Malone is staying as wide as possible and Lawrence and Bennett are both playing more centrally. And they're interchanging with each other but neither has really done the same with Jozefzoon

Yeah.
I assume because Jozefzoon's a "proper" winger, and isn't as interested in cutting inside. If Bogle goes down the right touchline he's invading Jozefzoon's preferred space.

But if Malone doesn't go down the left, there's no-one in the space vacated by Lawrence/Bennett cutting inside. I like the asymmetry of it personally.

What it suggests to me, is that Jozefzoon has been earmarked as a starter, currently. Which I'm quite pleased about.

Just now, Van Cone De Head said:

Why did Frank play Joz on the left?

Cos Harry Wilson is a bit pants on the left.

Been playing with a fair amount of intensity this. Not really learnt anything regarding needs we didn’t already know... defence still a bit shakey, midfielder short still. But positive signs nonetheless. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Few thoughts:

- Bogle appears to be playing like an inverted full-back. He keeps cutting inside meeting Dowell in the middle of the pitch. This is a tactic made famous by Guardiola sides.

- Enjoying watching Evans play at centre-half. Looks so comfortable there and his distribution has been largely really good. 

- Huddlestone looking a bit too ponderous for me: distribution got better as the game went on but I feel we will need someone doing that role who is more mobile.

- Dowell makes things happen. Like him.

- Lawrence and Malone linking up really nicely down the left hand side. Malone clearly relishes the attacking full-back role.

- Bennett causing a few issues but, once again,  I feel we will be debating the question of his quality.

- Jozefzoon looking like a different player. Quick and causing problems down the right-hand side. Looks good.

- Waggy not seeing as much of the ball as I thought he would. Still questions over his link-up play but he has also scored a 37 minute hattrick so you can't complain. 

Seeing really positive signs from the way we are trying to play. I was already feeling madly positive when we brought in Cocu but this is just reinforcing why this is such a perfect appointment for us. 

Can't agree with the Huddlestone part. I think he's been the key man in this whole system so far and there's no one in the squad who can do the job as well as him. Sure there's question marks surrounding his mobility, especially when defending, but no one can match his ability to get us going forward with a quick pass around the corner whilst under pressure, which has led to many of our attacks starting today

Archived