Pre Season Friendly v Burton Albion (A)

EnigmaRam
Message added by David

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Saturday 20th 1500 KO

Will be good to start seeing some live football again.

lets hope there’s no thunderstorms, power failures or snow storms in the Burton area on Saturday!

I know there’ll be substitutions but do you think we’ll see a complete side swap at half time or will start to see certain prefered choices firming up I wonder ? 

16 minutes ago, jono said:

I know there’ll be substitutions but do you think we’ll see a complete side swap at half time or will start to see certain prefered choices firming up I wonder ? 

I think Cocu said Rangers would be preparation for the first game of the season. So I wouldn’t be surprised if this is two halves again. 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

If not a complete swap at half-time, I expect there'll be a number of substitutions. All the players need as much game time as possible, to get them match sharp. I'm surprised that there wasn't a midweek game arranged, to enable more players to get some game time.

2 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I think Cocu said Rangers would be preparation for the first game of the season. So I wouldn’t be surprised if this is two halves again. 

Worth noting u23s are at Alfreton on the same day, so may factor in some how with a few of them.

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

This will be my first visit to Burtons ground. Any suggestions on whether to drive(ok for parking?) or get the train(seems a bit of a trek)?

I recall the streets being flooded by cars in the past. Get the train and take a few pit stops in the pubs on the way down the road.

34 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Something about Burton fans really winds me up. Aside from the great @ronnieronalde, of course.

Thought it was just me! I found the ones I met generally irritating and I was annoyed that they somehow lingered around in the Championship for so long. Possibly not helped by the amount of times they beat us ?

6 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Anyone know if we can pay on the gate for this? I've never had problems doing that before, but it looks like we've sold out of our initial allocation of tickets.

Initial allocation was sold out then another 1000 were released. Not sure how many are left

25 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Anyone know if we can pay on the gate for this? I've never had problems doing that before, but it looks like we've sold out of our initial allocation of tickets.

It’s probably incredibly unlikely. Usually always sell out an additional allocation in advance even in Pre-season. 

Will be able to be at this one now, so let’s hope we see some decent performances out there. Weathered forecasting some light showers so if we’re losing I’m sure we can get an abandonment in there somehow, just say Keoghs allergic to water and that’s why his eyes are sticking out his head or summat like that.

Id continue with what cocu has been doing and play my best team to start with, and then sub most of the off as the game progresses to get everyone fit and with minutes under their belt. For me:

Roos

Bogle Keogh Davies Malone

Huddlestone 

Holmes? Dowell

Josefzoon Marriott Lawrence 

If Holmes isn’t fit, swap him out for shinnie. Who knows how decent burton are these days but even though pre season isn’t about results, let’s hope we get a nice calm win as would be expected of us.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Will be able to be at this one now, so let’s hope we see some decent performances out there. Weathered forecasting some light showers so if we’re losing I’m sure we can get an abandonment in there somehow, just say Keoghs allergic to water and that’s why his eyes are sticking out his head or summat like that.

Id continue with what cocu has been doing and play my best team to start with, and then sub most of the off as the game progresses to get everyone fit and with minutes under their belt. For me:

Roos

Bogle Keogh Davies Malone

Huddlestone 

Holmes? Dowell

Josefzoon Marriott Lawrence 

If Holmes isn’t fit, swap him out for shinnie. Who knows how decent burton are these days but even though pre season isn’t about results, let’s hope we get a nice calm win as would be expected of us.

Well his best teams haven’t really delivered much.

Are Hudds and Zoon really his best team? Would prefer Shinnie and Bennett tbh

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Well his best teams haven’t really delivered much.

Are Hudds and Zoon really his best team? Would prefer Shinnie and Bennett tbh

No they haven’t, which is why we still need a fair number of improvements to that team. 

Id argue at this point yes they are, which is like I say why we need some new signings. Mind I’d argue Huddlestone has had a pretty good pre season so far, he’s looks better than he did at the back end of last season and I wouldn’t be surprised if cocu likes him as likes counter attacking- I reckon he’ll stay as first choice CDM. Been better than shinnie so far, though you can’t really judge anything yet- although I’d say from what I’ve seen shinnie is competing for a CM berth, not a CDM berth. Zoon has been poor so far, and definitely does need replacing as a fairly high priority for me, I’m fairly sure he’ll be sold anyway. But atm we don’t have many other options, Bennett seems to be considered centrally now and is doing well there.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Let’s see if they continue to try and continue the crap rivalry that they think they have with us. Probably not, as most of the ground will probably be made up of Derby fans.

Something about Burton fans really winds me up. Aside from the great @ronnieronalde, of course.

Ronnie's a Clough family fan rather than Burton Albion FC per se, thats probably why he doesn't wind you up?

Archived