Pre Season Friendly v Burton Albion (A)

EnigmaRam
Message added by Day

9 hours ago, leamram said:

John Brayfords hair was too distracting to concentrate

Should have been a straight red. Amazed that the ref let it go.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I counted 8 of the squad that were missing. Wisdom and Holmes are injured and have had no pre-season, which puts them quite a way back. Any ideas beyond Marriott being injured and Shinnie with personal reasons?

Carson (out of favour)

Wisdom (inj)

Forsyth (?)

Marriott (inj)

Butterfield (all but gone)

Holmes (inj)

Thorne (?)

Shinnie (personal)

50 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I counted 8 of the squad that were missing. Wisdom and Holmes are injured and have had no pre-season, which puts them quite a way back. Any ideas beyond Marriott being injured and Shinnie with personal reasons?

Carson (out of favour)

Wisdom (inj)

Forsyth (?) Inured and still regaining fitness

Marriott (inj) should be ready this week

Butterfield (all but gone) was training at Blackburn to keep fit

Holmes (inj)

Thorne (?) Injured - unlikely to play for us again ?

Shinnie (personal)

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

Shinnie said his wife was eight months' pregnant in his first interview, about a month ago. 

She is probably slowing down a bit. Graeme probably needs to be at home passing on instructions. A house can get proper untidy at this point, and nobody wants to come home to dirty dishes or a basket of ironing.

Thanks to all those giving us half fans all the match updates and reports. There seems to be a common theme that our link play and the pace we moved the ball looked genuinely encouraging. ? I’m loving that more youngsters got some minutes and no one seems frozen out.

just watched the highlights ... is it me or was the pitch quite long/bobbly not particularly conducive to zippy play ?

8 minutes ago, jono said:

Thanks to all those giving us half fans all the match updates and reports. There seems to be a common theme that our link play and the pace we moved the ball looked genuinely encouraging. ? I’m loving that more youngsters got some minutes and no one seems frozen out.

just watched the highlights ... is it me or was the pitch quite long/bobbly not particularly conducive to zippy play ?

I think the pitch was the same length it's always been ?. As for the grass, can't say that I noticed it was particularly long but, then again, I say that most weeks at home to avoid having to cut it.

I am not a wrist slasher but I still think we need a few players to be better than simply top half this year.

I am pleased that we are playing some good stuff. But let's remember friendlies against the likes of Burton are very different to competitive championship games.

Huddlestone is great to watch when given time and not buzzed round by busy and aggressive pros.

Our keeper and defence need strengthening both through recruitment and coaching.

With a stronger base our many attacking options will be more effective. Cocu has already said Waghorn needs to stay upfront.

If we can add Bielik to Shinnie and have a strong base in front of a back five marshalled by a more confident keeper and bolstered by LB and CB alternatives to Malone and Davies, we will be hard to beat.

With that core, the four attacking players can express themselves and have fun.

They will still need to close down their opposite number but be less relied upon to track back.

24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I am not a wrist slasher but I still think we need a few players to be better than simply top half this year.

I am pleased that we are playing some good stuff. But let's remember friendlies against the likes of Burton are very different to competitive championship games.

Huddlestone is great to watch when given time and not buzzed round by busy and aggressive pros.

Our keeper and defence need strengthening both through recruitment and coaching.

With a stronger base our many attacking options will be more effective. Cocu has already said Waghorn needs to stay upfront.

If we can add Bielik to Shinnie and have a strong base in front of a back five marshalled by a more confident keeper and bolstered by LB and CB alternatives to Malone and Davies, we will be hard to beat.

With that core, the four attacking players can express themselves and have fun.

They will still need to close down their opposite number but be less relied upon to track back.

Your right, we normally get beat about 4-1 by Burton in competitive matches ?

7 hours ago, Curtains said:

Thought we did very well yesterday. 

Need to defend corners better. 

Only pre season but some encouraging signs. 

Evans was excellent and Dowell looks a good signing.

All in all a good work out.  

According to Cocu, that is the style of.play that he is expecting to see from the Rams. After two weeks he has

11 hours ago, jono said:

Young players all start the game on Thursday and Cocu wants them to have 75 minutes apiece at Pride Park. How exciting for the young guns. Has this happened before at this stage?

COY Young Guns

Very encouraged by Evans at CB - hope he is the solution. Seems to be able to play the ball and has good timing and enough physicality.  Hopefully this is a solution and we can focus on an all action midfielder - someone who can make up for slow (but great) Tom and a tricky speedy winger (replacement for Wilson) who can dazzle. 

Archived