Chris Martin to Replace David Nugent?

DazaDunn

26 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I would suggest that it was likely that there was an element of that in Frank's decision....but who knows?

Frank brought in waghorn who is very much in Martin's likeness...a strong hold up player with a keen eye for distribution and the goal do to suggest that Martin isnt the type of player who the boss wants wouldn't be entirely true.

The proof in the pudding will be pre season and how Martin performs and how he gels with the new group.If he can match or better waghorn and fits in with the new dynamic then I'm sure that Frank will see that and utilise him come the new season. .after all he's s player that's already paid for so why not make use?

If he doesn't fit in for whatever reason,I'd suggest another loan is likely....perhaps even a drop to league 1 to showcase his talents again....surely Burton under Nigel Clough would be an ideal fit there,if they could afford it.

So let's wait and see!

I also think if frank rated him in pre season he would keep him ,only someone stupid wouldn’t , the thing that might sway it is we are pretty well served up front and I reckon any nuge

replacement might be a youngster/ improver  either from within or a shrewd transfer 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, David said:

To be fair I don’t think you will find many fans that are “anti Martin”, just some that whilst be thankful for his time at the club don’t see a future for him here.

Martin has only really divided opinions since he first left on loan and this “brigade” nonsense started, if you don’t want him playing you must not like him, that’s not the case at all no matter how many times you say it.

After bringing in Waghorn and Marriott last summer it’s understand why some do not see a future for him at the club. 

There is absolutely no call for this sort of reasonableness.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hardly about you Archied,I hadn't included yourself in that group as Ive previously considered thst you were more open minded on the matter.

It's about those that take the effort to come on here and post that it's not worth posting on (as such)

Wasn’t a pop , just more a general thing along the lines of the keough bashers stuff ,though I find a lot of it obsessed unbalanced tripe I kind of expect to put up with it and in some ways it’s good thing in terms of us that rate keough as decent then post about his good qualities 

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except when Nugent was brought on as sub before Marriott Frank said it was for his hold-up play and such (can't remember exact phrase). Well Martin is surely better than Nuge at hold-up play, aerial combativeness etc...

Nugents work rate has always been high and I'd say Nugents hold up play is better than Jacks so what you're saying makes sense.....Martin does not close down and press like Nugent and that seems to be what Frank wants

Martin just doesn't have the irrepressible "Dave factor" - that sense of fun and silly mess that all David's are schooled in from a young age. Everyone has a mate Dave, who is like that though years of studied practice and committed endeavour. At the time of confirmation all David's are offered a simple choice:

Accept Dave, or Dai.

2 minutes ago, Saity said:

Nugents work rate has always been high and I'd say Nugents hold up play is better than Jacks so what you're saying makes sense.....Martin does not close down and press like Nugent and that seems to be what Frank wants

That isn't what Frank said when answering why he'd chosen Nugent as the first sub before Marriott though.

Anyway, its all water under the bridge, perhaps our new manager will think different? ? ?

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Martin just doesn't have the irrepressible "Dave factor" - that sense of fun and silly mess that all David's are schooled in from a young age. Everyone has a mate Dave, who is like that though years of studied practice and committed endeavour. At the time of confirmation all David's are offered a simple choice:

Accept Dave, or Dai.

Can confirm. 

To be honest I think Martin is a player that only really thrives when he is settled and a regular starter and I don’t think he has really recovered or found his way since Pearson ,much as I like Martin I do believe it’s time for us fans to move on  

37 minutes ago, Archied said:

To be honest I think Martin is a player that only really thrives when he is settled and a regular starter and I don’t think he has really recovered or found his way since Pearson ,much as I like Martin I do believe it’s time for us fans to move on  

It's time to move on when he's sold on...up until then he's a Derby county player and deserves our support....as per any player,esp when they haven't shown any disloyalty to the club.

43 minutes ago, Archied said:

I think it was us trying to drag him back from Fulham, if we’re honest. He’d scored   10 in his first 20 starts but Recallgate pretty much ruined his season. 

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's time to move on when he's sold on...up until then he's a Derby county player and deserves our support....as per any player,esp when they haven't shown any disloyalty to the club.

When I say move on I mean those that are so obsessed with Martin that they think any manager or fan that doesn’t build around him to make sure he is first name on team sheet is useless and knows nothing about football , 

ive moved on in that I now view Martin as a player that has done very well for our club ,wish him the best and will be right behind him if the manager wants him and he forces his way into the team but don’t see him as the vital cog and bigger than any manager we have or the club , there was a time when I was gutted if Martin was not in the team but that day has gone

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think it was us trying to drag him back from Fulham, if we’re honest. He’d scored   10 in his first 20 starts but Recallgate pretty much ruined his season. 

Yep I think we played our part but I’m pretty sure Fulham were not giving him much reassurance about whether they were going to commit to buying him and giving him a contract ,, I reckon it was a bit of a hotch potch cluster duck between us ,Fulham ,Martin and martins agent , Martin did the right thing and secured the best financial security for him and his family

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

When I say move on I mean those that are so obsessed with Martin that they think any manager or fan that doesn’t build around him to make sure he is first name on team sheet is useless and knows nothing about football , 

ive moved on in that I now view Martin as a player that has done very well for our club ,wish him the best and will be right behind him if the manager wants him and he forces his way into the team but don’t see him as the vital cog and bigger than any manager we have or the club , there was a time when I was gutted if Martin was not in the team but that day has gone

I'm not sure I've seen any poster on here advocating that....even myself or my mate Roy!

I have seen,in the past,frustration that Pearson and rowett didn't attempt to use him in a setup that,prior to them arriving,netted us so many goals and assists and that,since that time,he hasn't been given the chance to have another go.

As I've said,he will perhaps have another chance to impress pre season but if not good luck to him elsewhere....this enforced limbo can't be good for a player who needs to settle to play to the best of his ability (as with most of our squad)

It's way past the 'time to move on scenario' with Martin. But just admit it, we all wanted to see how he would get on with Mount and Wilson supporting him last season. 

Until he actually leaves we all have hope he will return to 13-14 Martin, same with Thorne for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

It's way past the 'time to move on scenario' with Martin. But just admit it, we all wanted to see how he would get on with Mount and Wilson supporting him last season. 

Until he actually leaves we all have hope he will return to 13-14 Martin, same with Thorne for that matter. 

groundhog day wtf GIF

9 hours ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Tell me more.......I'm intrigued to know if there was a system.

Pretty sure Rowett would like to know what in earth his system was, other than painful ??

One which led to more goals scored and less conceded than this season, imagine how we would have done if Rowett actually had a system/plan...

36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

One which led to more goals scored and less conceded than this season, imagine how we would have done if Rowett actually had a system/plan...

He had a horrid to watch, defensive style that unravelled and has left fans of Birmingham, Derby and Stoke not wanting to see it again. 

Archived