Chris Martin to Replace David Nugent?

DazaDunn

To be fair, although I’ve grown tired of the CM debate and have just accepted that he’ll never do anything for us again, there are some parallels to be drawn with him and Vydra. Both were consistently excellent at this level in the right team and system, but their careers seemed to tail off after a couple of bad moves (remember Vydra at Reading). Vydra clearly got back to his best in the right system. Could Martin? I doubt it, but it’s not impossible.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure if CM was the type of player Frank wanted he'd be in and around the squad....he wasn't.....comparing Nugent and Martin is folly.

Nugent was surely selected a lot  for his workrate ( it certainly wasn't his goals ) and there lies the difference.

We also do not know of Martin's personality and the influence whether positive or negative in and around the squad.

Hull and Reading didn't appear to get a tune out of him and very much doubt he'll play for us again....he was good for us a few seasons ago now but its the past...let it go

Possibly the worst piece of business we have done was giving him another contract...Thanks for some good memories Chris but time to move on for both parties...hopefully 

6 minutes ago, Saity said:

I'm sure if CM was the type of player Frank wanted he'd be in and around the squad....he wasn't.....comparing Nugent and Martin is folly.

Nugent was surely selected a lot  for his workrate ( it certainly wasn't his goals ) and there lies the difference.

We also do not know of Martin's personality and the influence whether positive or negative in and around the squad.

Hull and Reading didn't appear to get a tune out of him and very much doubt he'll play for us again....he was good for us a few seasons ago now but its the past...let it go

Possibly the worst piece of business we have done was giving him another contract...Thanks for some good memories Chris but time to move on for both parties...hopefully 

No the worse part of the deal was bringing him back and then employing a manager who didn't have a clue...it would have been very different if we had retained Mac and we would probably have seen Martin flourish again.....

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

No the worse part of the deal was bringing him back and then employing a manager who didn't have a clue...it would have been very different if we had retained Mac and we would probably have seen Martin flourish again.....

That didn't help you're right and Mel is partly to blame as well for sanctioning it but there was no guarantee Martin was going to flourish under Mac2 and contract was far too long...he may well see out Franks tenure here without playing a game 

28 minutes ago, Saity said:

That didn't help you're right and Mel is partly to blame as well for sanctioning it but there was no guarantee Martin was going to flourish under Mac2 and contract was far too long...he may well see out Franks tenure here without playing a game 

Well just think how much he's bought into the Club in loan fees if that will make you feel better. Ignore the facr he's been seriously ill both at Reading and recovering at Hull.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well just think how much he's bought into the Club in loan fees if that will make you feel better. Ignore the facr he's been seriously ill both at Reading and recovering at Hull.

it doesn't don't worry  thats why we gave him a big long contract so he can get us a few loan fees ....if he's deemed fit enough to go on loan to Hull I'd say he's fit enough to play for us but he wasn't in Franks plans thats the point Roy

3 minutes ago, Saity said:

so you seriously think Chris was sent on loan to get fit ?

Well he wasn't going to get fit here, well no more than in the 23s, so why not get a fee to offset his wages was I imagine the thinking. If he'd been fit then we might have seen him instead of Nugent - I bet they're on similar wages.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well he wasn't going to get fit here, well no more than in the 23s, so why not get a fee to offset his wages was I imagine the thinking. If he'd been fit then we might have seen him instead of Nugent - I bet they're on similar wages.

I don't think we would've seen him instead of Nugent to be honest Roy ....Nugent is a totally different player to CM....Nugent was surely selected for his work rate and Chris is a totally different type of player and not in Franks plans...it happens...wages is neither here nor there

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are clubs going to take on loan and keep on loan a seriously ill player ? 

From what I have seen players in that situation have their loan spells terminated,

47 minutes ago, Saity said:

I don't think we would've seen him instead of Nugent to be honest Roy ....Nugent is a totally different player to CM....Nugent was surely selected for his work rate and Chris is a totally different type of player and not in Franks plans...it happens...wages is neither here nor there

Except when Nugent was brought on as sub before Marriott Frank said it was for his hold-up play and such (can't remember exact phrase). Well Martin is surely better than Nuge at hold-up play, aerial combativeness etc...

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

There's a top tip here for the anti Martin brigade...if you see his name on a topic,don't click on it.

Thought it was a Chris Martin to replace nugent topic/ question with those who would like that stating as much and their reasons why and those of the opposite opinion arguing the case against? 

1 hour ago, Saity said:

so you seriously think Chris was sent on loan to get fit ?

I would suggest that it was likely that there was an element of that in Frank's decision....but who knows?

Frank brought in waghorn who is very much in Martin's likeness...a strong hold up player with a keen eye for distribution and the goal do to suggest that Martin isnt the type of player who the boss wants wouldn't be entirely true.

The proof in the pudding will be pre season and how Martin performs and how he gels with the new group.If he can match or better waghorn and fits in with the new dynamic then I'm sure that Frank will see that and utilise him come the new season. .after all he's s player that's already paid for so why not make use?

If he doesn't fit in for whatever reason,I'd suggest another loan is likely....perhaps even a drop to league 1 to showcase his talents again....surely Burton under Nigel Clough would be an ideal fit there,if they could afford it.

So let's wait and see!

12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

There's a top tip here for the anti Martin brigade...if you see his name on a topic,don't click on it.

To be fair I don’t think you will find many fans that are “anti Martin”, just some that whilst be thankful for his time at the club don’t see a future for him here.

Martin has only really divided opinions since he first left on loan and this “brigade” nonsense started, if you don’t want him playing you must not like him, that’s not the case at all no matter how many times you say it.

After bringing in Waghorn and Marriott last summer it’s understand why some do not see a future for him at the club. 

17 minutes ago, Archied said:

Thought it was a Chris Martin to replace nugent topic/ question with those who would like that stating as much and their reasons why and those of the opposite opinion arguing the case against? 

Hardly about you Archied,I hadn't included yourself in that group as Ive previously considered thst you were more open minded on the matter.

It's about those that take the effort to come on here and post that it's not worth posting on (as such)

Archived