Chris Martin to Replace David Nugent?

DazaDunn

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this has already been covered - I just can't bring myself to trawl through another Chris Martin thread.

I loved Martin and I'll always be eternally grateful for what he did for us. He was CENTRAL to the system we played under Mac (and Clement) and Mac2 never looked as fluid without him.

But his time has gone and we need to move on.

Lampard clearly rates players - in all positions - with a high energy approach. That just isn't Martin. He is a backs to goal hold up link striker. Say what you will about Nugent and his scoring record, but he doesn't stop running. Martin's hold up play might be there but he isn't in the Lampard mould.

The best thing that could happen is for Martin to be let go - that way we can move on without the harking back (that isn't a criticism of anybody, I understand it. I loved the football under Mac and still daydream about it - but times have changed and we need to move on. Martin isn't what he used to be and we have moved on in our style).

We do need a back up striker for Marriott and Waghorn - maybe someone who can add something different. But Martin ain't that man. The most pertinent factor in that is this: we ALL pretty much accept that if Martin were to have a role, it would be as a back up to those two - even the title of the thread alludes to that. Your third choice back up striker, can NOT be your highest paid player at the club. That's madness.

The footballing reasons above are valid for why Martin shouldn't return. But crucially, at a time when we're up against it financially with FFP etc. we HAVE to get those high earners off the wage bill to allow Lampard to build his own team (Johnson, Nugent, Butterfield, Bryson etc.) If Martin is really on £45K/week then that could free up salary space for 2 or 3 players.

2 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Sorry if this has already been covered - I just can't bring myself to trawl through another Chris Martin thread.

I loved Martin and I'll always be eternally grateful for what he did for us. He was CENTRAL to the system we played under Mac (and Clement) and Mac2 never looked as fluid without him.

But his time has gone and we need to move on.

Lampard clearly rates players - in all positions - with a high energy approach. That just isn't Martin. He is a backs to goal hold up link striker. Say what you will about Nugent and his scoring record, but he doesn't stop running. Martin's hold up play might be there but he isn't in the Lampard mould.

The best thing that could happen is for Martin to be let go - that way we can move on without the harking back (that isn't a criticism of anybody, I understand it. I loved the football under Mac and still daydream about it - but times have changed and we need to move on. Martin isn't what he used to be and we have moved on in our style).

We do need a back up striker for Marriott and Waghorn - maybe someone who can add something different. But Martin ain't that man. The most pertinent factor in that is this: we ALL pretty much accept that if Martin were to have a role, it would be as a back up to those two - even the title of the thread alludes to that. Your third choice back up striker, can NOT be your highest paid player at the club. That's madness.

The footballing reasons above are valid for why Martin shouldn't return. But crucially, at a time when we're up against it financially with FFP etc. we HAVE to get those high earners off the wage bill to allow Lampard to build his own team (Johnson, Nugent, Butterfield, Bryson etc.) If Martin is really on £45K/week then that could free up salary space for 2 or 3 players.

Spot on, with the edition that Martin has proved literally nothing in the past 3 years that he can still even remotely touch any of the form he showed 5 years ago. 5 years in sport is literal eternity.

Depends if we plan on using 1 or 2 (or alternate) up top next season. Waghorn and Marriott are obviously going to be 1st and 2nd choice. He'll be expensive to keep as 3rd/4th choice (Bennett will probably be 3rd). Reportedly on £35-45k pw so will cost us about £2m over the season and then leave on a free. If we do go with 2 up top, we will need someone in as 4th choice. I think it makes more sense to get someone cheap in with potential - someone costing less than £2m on £10k pw

57 minutes ago, Srg said:

Spot on, with the edition that Martin has proved literally nothing in the past 3 years that he can still even remotely touch any of the form he showed 5 years ago. 5 years in sport is literal eternity.

Except for at Fulham of course and then we screwed it up for him.

Oh and a change of managers and trying to play through a serious illness at Reading.

Getting over a serious illness at Hull.

I wonder where you get five years from, throw enough nonsense and it'll stick...

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except for at Fulham of course and then we screwed it up for him.

“We” did not screw it up for him, Martin and his agent could have easily said sorry, we’re not interested in contract talks right now, we will talk in the summer.

But they didn’t.

They were happy to agree a new contract.

Looking back now it was clearly the wrong decision by both the club and player, but let’s not pretend he was pinned down against his will and forced to sign a new contract.

5 minutes ago, David said:

“We” did not screw it up for him, Martin and his agent could have easily said sorry, we’re not interested in contract talks right now, we will talk in the summer.

But they didn’t.

They were happy to agree a new contract.

Of course he was. But by the time 'signing the contract' happened that was the final throw of the dice from Derby. The 'unsettling' had happened well before then. I realise you want to think Derby were totally innocent in the whole affair, but they instigated it and attempted to force Fulham to return Martin. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

By the time 'signing the contract' happened that was the final throw of the dice from Derby. The 'unsettling' had happened well before then. I realise you want to think Derby were totally innocent in the whole affair, but they instigated it and attempted to force Fulham to return Martin. 

Entertain me, how did Derby “unsettle” him before a final throw of the dice contract offer? I assume you have proof of phone records, emails, texts or something to base this on and have spoken to Chris himself who confirmed he feels unsettled. Otherwise it’s just nonsense and you would say.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Entertain me, how did Derby “unsettle” him before a final throw of the dice contract offer? I assume you have proof of phone records, emails, texts or something to base this on and have spoken to Chris himself who confirmed he feels unsettled. Otherwise it’s just nonsense and you would say.

The newspaper/social media talk of us wanting Martin back happened long before we made a 'last ditch' attempt to force Fulhams hand. Seriously you're blaming Chris Martin for Derby offering their own player an extended contract?! ?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The newspaper/social media talk of us wanting Martin back happened long before we made a 'last ditch' attempt to force Fulhams hand. Seriously you're blaming Chris Martin for Derby offering their own player an extended contract?! ?

So you don’t? Thought not.

Look, I know you rate Martin highly, but at the end of the day Martin and his agent negotiated and signed that contract he is on now, now unless you have any kind of proof he was forced to sign it through inhumane tactics then your claims of “We” screwed his loan move up are nonsense without anything to back it up.

It’s possible Martin was not settled in London, it’s possible that when McClaren returned and heard he wished he was still at the club Martin made the first SOS move by picking up the phone. It’s also possible Martin put pressure on Fulham to let him return as he knew McClaren knew how to get the best out of him.

I’m not claiming this happened, because I have no proof, but it is possible. Only the club, player and agent will know how it played out.

It’s clear you blame Derby for ruining his career, but you have to remember Martin agreed to the contract he signed. What happened next wasn’t ideal but that’s football, many players and managers move to the wrong club, sign the wrong deal but they go on. Martin has had 2 spells out on loan to get his career back on track, sadly neither have worked out for whatever reason.

Whatever happens next be it a chance under Lampard, another season out on loan or even released, I wish him all the luck, but I won’t have any sympathy for him or look to place the blame on the club, it’s just one of those moves which didn’t work out. 

This thread will separate those who know ANYTHING about football from those who know NOTHING .,

Playing Martin would be the best decision Frank Lampard has made whilst manager at this club .. 

2 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

This thread will separate those who know ANYTHING about football from those who know NOTHING .,

Playing Martin would be the best decision Frank Lampard has made whilst manager at this club .. 

I really appreciate your use of capitalisation to underline the obnoxious nature of your opinions. ? 

14 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

image.png

41 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Each to their own, everyone gets an opinion. But I'm not sure where the call for Martin comes from?

We don't need him for his goalscoring ability, I'm not even sure he has that ability anymore but otherwise we have two pretty prolific strikers in Wags and Marriott. 

While I appreciate the style of football we had under Mac 1, bringing Martin back in will not emulate that football. Frank has its own style which has been as successful if not more so than the Mac 1 season. Had Mac got us promoted then sure, do everything we can to get back to that style.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Each to their own, everyone gets an opinion. But I'm not sure where the call for Martin comes from?

We don't need him for his goalscoring ability, I'm not even sure he has that ability anymore but otherwise we have two pretty prolific strikers in Wags and Marriott. 

While I appreciate the style of football we had under Mac 1, bringing Martin back in will not emulate that football. Frank has its own style which has been as successful if not more so than the Mac 1 season. Had Mac got us promoted then sure, do everything we can to get back to that style.

I think the point was that we had a non scoring Nugent on the pitch an awful lot last season and whilst we have him chris Martin is more than capable of taking that spot and contributing 

2 hours ago, Ram8 said:

This statement is completely true. 

You have appeared to have put yourself into the knowing nothing bucket here.

3 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Jeez ,you still here? 

Archived