Leeds United v Derby County play off semi final second leg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a post a couple of weeks ago saying that i didn't believe the conspiracies as to why Marriott wasn't starting. But wow, struggling to explain it more and more. Thought we'd change formation as well to how we finished against leeds in the last leg. 

2 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

The fact Bennett is starting ahead of Marriott up front makes me want to puke. 

I personally think Mason is better place to swap for Waggy than Nugent or Marriott.

Marriott on his own up top against Leeds would be the unlikely to work in my view. We would need a formation with them both in.

Conflicted on Bennett starting, part of me thinks he is not as good a goal scorer as Marriott and we paid big money for JM so Bennett. really shouldn't be playing. On the other hand I can understand why Franks picked him as he is strong and will hold the ball better than Marriott, also as a Derby lad  starting upfront vs Leeds will mean a lot to him  and it is a chance to make himself a hero and I really hope he takes it.

No waghorn again... just like before that really is a killer blow, he’s more of a miss than can be described in a game like this, we need our number 9 to hold everything together and build around, especially in big games like this, you need chances falling to your main striker, both to score and create.

Least it’s bennett not nugent this time tho, if we’re not playing Marriott as I said earlier I think that’s the better call. Not great but nugents shot and mason will be well motivated for it. 

This has something of the same feel as Billy Davies bringing on Darren Moore to play up front in a home game several seasons ago when he also had Rob Earnshaw on the bench. A very high risk move by Lampard and a very loud statement to Marriott (and to Bennett, to be fair). We'll see. Disappointed for Waghorn - he'll be gutted I expect.

Archived