Tomori

Malone

Huddlestone

Johnson

Holmes

Bennett

Lawrence

Marriott/Waghorn if fit

It might seem crazy to drop Mount and Wilson, but they were complete passengers on Saturday as far as their impact on the game is concerned.

Leeds will do exactly the same job on them tonight if they play. It will be painful to watch.

But with a side like this, we might just catch them by surprise.

Our best chance is playing our best players and hope they bring their A game. That's nowhere near our best starting eleven.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Why?

They were completely nullified by Leeds on Saturday.

We barely created a chance. We didn’t have a shot on target.

Duane Holmes was the only one who looked like he could make something happen.

Why not try something different, especially when the two players in question are only here on loan?

I like both players but they are flat track bullies. They don’t seem to stand up too well to scrutiny.

Other than Lawrence, Mount and Wilson are arguably the only two players in our team who can create something magic out of nothing. Be it a set piece, a strike from distance, a touch to take it away from the opposition etc...

The thought of dropping them fills me with more terror than the thought of starting Nugent did on Saturday!

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why?

They were completely nullified by Leeds on Saturday.

We barely created a chance. We didn’t have a shot on target.

Duane Holmes was the only one who looked like he could make something happen.

Why not try something different, especially when the two players in question are only here on loan?

I like both players but they are flat track bullies. They don’t seem to stand up too well to scrutiny.

Just read you’re last post in response to Srg, we honestly wouldn’t be playing tonight had it not been for Mount, you know that right?

If we’re picking players that have performed to their abilities against Leeds over the 3 games we would be lucky field a 5 a side team.

Mount is a key part of this team, vital, to bench him would be borderline insanity and that’s not something you could say about many other players in the team.

Whilst Wilson is prone to drift in and out of games, I could at a push understand potentially dropping him, but he has this incredible left foot that can stick one in the top corner from 30 yards at any moment despite being anonymous for 20 minutes.

Do I even need to mention he’s a wizard at free kicks?

We don’t have 2 players that I would look at and say they deserve or offer anywhere near the same level of threat that Mount and Wilson do. 

It’s been a long season but I have to nominate the suggestion as a contender for bonkers post of the season. 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Other than Lawrence, Mount and Wilson are arguably the only two players in our team who can create something magic out of nothing. Be it a set piece, a strike from distance, a touch to take it away from the opposition etc...

The thought of dropping them fills me with more terror than the thought of starting Nugent did on Saturday!

In all likelihood, Mount and Wilson will play. And if they play well and we are competitive, I will eat my words with joyous vigour.

I am not saying that dropping them will definitely work. But we need to try something. We have lost three times and showed no signs of learning or adapting.

We need to think about life after Mount and Wilson. We are far too reliant on individuals and moments of quality. We have no plan B. Stop Mount, stop Wilson and you stop us from playing, and that is not healthy.

So something like this, maybe it’s the tactical curveball that might give Leeds something to think about.

I'll think about life after Wilson and Mount after the season ends.

Maybe the reason that Holmes got a little more room on Saturday is because Mount and Wilson were so tightly marked? We need everyone to take advantage of any space left by doubling (and trebling!) up on our key players. I didn't really see that happening on Saturday.

He won’t drop them, especially Wilson, his 16 goals are the reason we are here in this situation. It’s been a roller coaster this season. Play our best 11, ride our luck, play like we did at Bristol and you never know. But no drowning if sorrows from me tonight, the season has exceeded myexpectations 

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

In all likelihood, Mount and Wilson will play. And if they play well and we are competitive, I will eat my words with joyous vigour.

I am not saying that dropping them will definitely work. But we need to try something. We have lost three times and showed no signs of learning or adapting.

We need to think about life after Mount and Wilson. We are far too reliant on individuals and moments of quality. We have no plan B. Stop Mount, stop Wilson and you stop us from playing, and that is not healthy.

So something like this, maybe it’s the tactical curveball that might give Leeds something to think about.

I see what you're saying. Planning for life after them is important, and it's part of the reason why I've been grated by Lampard's persistent use of players who seem to be on their way out the door when their contracts expire. Especially in the latter stages of the season.

If you're looking for a tactical curveball, I'd love Lampard to suddenley just throw out a 3-5-2. Something we've been working on behind the scenes. Something Bielsa isn't expecting/prepared for. Rowett did that towards the end of last season and I think it's what got us over the line.

- - - - - - - - - Roos - - - - - - - - -

- Keogh - Huddlestone - Tomori - 

Bogle - Johnson - Mount - Malone

- - - - - - - - - Wilson - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - Marriott - Lawrence - - - - -

I would like to see us start with :

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori  Malone

Evans  Huddlestone 

Wilson      Mount      Lawrence/ Hard choice between him and Holmes 

Marriott 

Having two holding players will give us more of a foothold in the game and will increase the chances of keeping a cleans sheet , playing a 4231 will also allow Mount to have a more attacking role and get into position to make things happen. I don't want to see Johnson start as he is sloppy with the ball and although Evans isn't good on the ball either he is more astute defensively and we will need that next to Huddlestone. I wouldn't be surprised if we go unchanged tonight or maybe just swap Nugent for Marriott.

Hope, whichever team is selected, they go out with more optimism than some fans are showing. Seems as though they actually want a repeat of last seasons' second leg against Fulham to justify their doom and gloom.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Just read you’re last post in response to Srg, we honestly wouldn’t be playing tonight had it not been for Mount, you know that right?

If we’re picking players that have performed to their abilities against Leeds over the 3 games we would be lucky field a 5 a side team.

Mount is a key part of this team, vital, to bench him would be borderline insanity and that’s not something you could say about many other players in the team.

Whilst Wilson is prone to drift in and out of games, I could at a push understand potentially dropping him, but he has this incredible left foot that can stick one in the top corner from 30 yards at any moment despite being anonymous for 20 minutes.

Do I even need to mention he’s a wizard at free kicks?

We don’t have 2 players that I would look at and say they deserve or offer anywhere near the same level of threat that Mount and Wilson do. 

It’s been a long season but I have to nominate the suggestion as a contender for bonkers post of the season. 

What is so bonkers about it?

Mount and Wilson are not our players, so if they are that vital to this team, then we are really in trouble.

I like both players and I am not diminishing their contribution, but if something isn’t working, surely you see if something else might work instead?

Every time we have played Leeds this season, Mount and Wilson have been targeted, harassed and bullied and the boys haven’t had an answer for it. Why will tonight be any different?

Just now, Jourdan said:

What is so bonkers about it?

Mount and Wilson are not our players, so if they are that vital to this team, then we are really in trouble.

I like both players and I am not diminishing their contribution, but if something isn’t working, surely you see if something else might work instead?

Every time we have played Leeds this season, Mount and Wilson have been targeted, harassed and bullied and the boys haven’t had an answer for it. Why will tonight be any different?

Why does that matter?

They are contracted to the club for the 18/19 season, you don’t sign top young players that have been key to the team all season, then when it comes to big games, sorry you’re not ours so off on the bench you go.

We’ll worry about next season in the summer when we can sign replacements, right now we play our best players and these 2 should be in that team. 

Like Frank has said and like we have all said, I just want a performance to be proud of. 

If we go there and turn in a performance like we did earlier in the season then it will taint a very good season.

We didn't just get in to the top 6 to make the numbers up, i want us to go out there and show what were about.

Brave. we have to be brave. If we can be braver all over the pitch then we have a chance.

Im not 100% confident about tonight, part of me thinks Frank will set us up with the same side as Saturday to just "stay in the tie" for us to concede a couple of sloppy early goals.

On the other hand im wanting us to bounce back and were due some luck and fortune after Saturday, I hope we give the fan base something to remember in a good way regardless of the result. I think we will win the game on penalty's.

We need to do to Leeds what West Brom did to Villa last night for 70 mins before losing a man, press high and work hard on and off the ball.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hope, whichever team is selected, they go out with more optimism than some fans are showing. Seems as though they actually want a repeat of last seasons' second leg against Fulham to justify their doom and gloom.

Did you see anything in Saturday’s performance that would be cause for optimism?

I'm braced for another disappointing performance. In a lot of ways going a goal down rather than a goal up is freeing. Last season going into the second leg was torture.

We're massively the underdogs. If we lose two or three nil I doubt we'd be surprised. However, this team does have a good performance in it, so, if we do get some joy tonight, it'll be an unexpected extra.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Why does that matter?

They are contracted to the club for the 18/19 season, you don’t sign top young players that have been key to the team all season, then when it comes to big games, sorry you’re not ours so off on the bench you go.

We’ll worry about next season in the summer when we can sign replacements, right now we play our best players and these 2 should be in that team. 

I would say that they are our best individuals, but maybe to beat Leeds, it has to be about the team, the unit, not individuals.

From one to eleven, we probably have better individuals than all of the top three.  But as teams, they function better. Sometimes you play your best team to win that particular game, and not necessarily always your best individuals.

Mount and Wilson are good players, but what is so bonkers about acknowledging that they will thrive in some games more so than others, and so it might be worth taking a different approach?

Leeds will work hard, press hard and battle hard. They will be physical. They will be rough. They will be crafty. They will be backed by a fired-up home crowd on top of that.

Are Mount and Wilson the kind of players who you expect to thrive in that situation? 

Personally I think it’s exactly the kind of game they have been shown to freeze in or be nullified in.

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'll think about life after Wilson and Mount after the season ends.

Maybe the reason that Holmes got a little more room on Saturday is because Mount and Wilson were so tightly marked? We need everyone to take advantage of any space left by doubling (and trebling!) up on our key players. I didn't really see that happening on Saturday.

This is a fair point, angieram. 

But I also think it comes down to temperament.

Holmes is more tenacious and has more edge to him.

He has come up to the Championship from playing lower league football.

I think he is more likely to take some rough house tactics in his stride, whereas the other two are more likely to shrink.

I also think such a move might create some complacency amongst the Leeds players, and well you only have to look at what happened to them against Wigan, Ipswich et al.

Archived