The 'Bounce'

RamLad1884

26 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Swearing can be funny or make something mean more. In the bounce song though, it just seems unnecessary and unimaginative. In the Leeds Dambusters song though it fits perfectly.

I think the worse part though is "you're a red". Anti-Forest songs are a bit dull without any wit (unlike Dambusters) but more importantly, who has ever called them the Reds? Would be better off using Tree instead.

In other swearing news, I think the f word and the c word sound unpleasant with a hard Midlands 'uh' sound. I have ended up adopting a cockney 'a' sound in the two words which makes them much more comical and fun, if I ever do use them.

If you don't fa..ing bounce you're a ca.. is an option perhaps?!

Also, not sure if the Belle and Sebastian was a cartoon or band reference, but it's about time we had a B&S lyrics Derby thread @Inverurie Ram to celebrate one of Scotland's finest.

The Boy with the Derby Hat? The loneliness of a Derby midfield runner? Get me away from here I'm Derby? Mount in the Snow? Sleep Keogh around?

Don't encourage him, you Cant.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Also, not sure if the Belle and Sebastian was a cartoon or band reference, but it's about time we had a B&S lyrics Derby thread @Inverurie Ram to celebrate one of Scotland's finest.

The Boy with the Derby Hat? The loneliness of a Derby midfield runner? Get me away from here I'm Derby? Mount in the Snow? Sleep Keogh around?

@Inverurie Ram, was listening to Another Sunny Day ( not that it was) on the way back from Maud tonight. Hope the Ref is generous.

Maybe I've got weird kids but they've never asked what a swear word means when they have heard one. I tell them it's very naughty and they accept it. 

They've been to a Derby game and I told them grown ups act very silly at football. They jump up and down when the ball goes in the goal. They get angry over silly things and clap a lot! And they say naughty words that you won't be using. 

If my kids said "Dad, what's a see you next Tuesday" then I'd say it's a nasty swear word and they should never say it. Who's telling their kids about a vagina instead? And why? 

For me It’s about context and how you say a word and also I’m not really one for swearing around kids , I don’t get why the c word is seen as some taboo and viewed as less acceptable than other swear words , the c word used in comedic situation ( our little golf fourball take the mick with it often ) is worse than calling someone a tanker with anger and venom? 

14 hours ago, StivePesley said:

That's the song that has the most emotional resonance for me - remember it on the Popside when we won the old second division under Arthur Cox - just getting louder and louder each time it came around to the start. Literal tingles just remembering it

The bounce is fun but I still feel a but guilty that our big song has a massive F bomb in it.

Anyone else feel a bit bad when Keogh started the bounce after the WBA game and was holding his tiny daughter, as twenty thousand F bombs landed all around her little ears ?

Doesn’t have to be a swear word. My daughter sings ‘if you don’t flippin bounce’

26 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Doesn’t have to be a swear word. My daughter sings ‘if you don’t flippin bounce’

Actually in days gone past “flipping” was the f-word and means exactly the same thing (s)!

28 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

exactly what my two grandsons sing,most children who go to footy matches know the basis of right and wrong ,sure your always gonna get the exceptions but all in all most kids wont swear just because they hear someone else doing it

44 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually in days gone past “flipping” was the f-word and means exactly the same thing (s)!

That gave me a flashback to the time we stayed with my Auntie in the school holidays and she gave us an impromptu lesson in replacement swear words and how lots of common non-sweary phrases originated out of children inventing expletives that sounded like blasphemy but weren't (so that they didn't anger their parents OR god)

eg

Cor Blimey = God Bless Me

Cripes/Crikey = Christ

Sheesh/Jeez = Jesus

I don't think we have a right not to be offended. We do have a right not to be attacked or harmed. So using a swear word as an intensifier shouldn't be a problem - using one to pick on or demean someone should be. And yes, that's what I have taught my kid.

51 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

That gave me a flashback to the time we stayed with my Auntie in the school holidays and she gave us an impromptu lesson in replacement swear words and how lots of common non-sweary phrases originated out of children inventing expletives that sounded like blasphemy but weren't (so that they didn't anger their parents OR god)

eg

Cor Blimey = God Bless Me

Cripes/Crikey = Christ

Sheesh/Jeez = Jesus

You can add Bloody = By our lady, the now archaic Zounds = (God's) wounds and Gadzooks = God's hooks ie nails, Strewth = God's Truth, Drat it = God rot it, Gosh = God.  And Cor Blimey was God Blind me. All nothing to do with children though. It was because of avoiding being blasphemous. It's a bit like the Victorian "Gordon Bennett"  because it sounded a bit like God! Gordon Bennett was a real person by the way but that's another story....

27 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

You can add Bloody = By our lady, the now archaic Zounds = (God's) wounds and Gadzooks = God's hooks ie nails, Strewth = God's Truth, Drat it = God rot it, Gosh = God.  And Cor Blimey was God Blind me. All nothing to do with children though. It was because of avoiding being blasphemous. It's a bit like the Victorian "Gordon Bennett"  because it sounded a bit like God! Gordon Bennett was a real person by the way but that's another story....

Everyday is a school day.

52 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

My kids say "Son of a biscuit" and "What the bleep". Reasonably inventive. 

Archived