The 'Bounce'

RamLad1884

Just now, TuffLuff said:

“AND ITS IIIIIIIII OOOOOOOOOOOOOO Derby COUNTY!!!”

Will be the only chant I ever get involved with. I’d like to hear it at Pride Park please.

Probably a Wednesday song, but they claim everything else so we might as well take this one 

Technically it's a wolves song..... if you mean the one to hi ho silver lining tune 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, angieram said:

This.

As a woman I absolutely hate the c word and find it extremely offensive. I don't understand why it isn't considered discriminatory. 

What about when we're talking about Leeds fans? It's the only word that truly sums them up

I like swearing. So does Stephen Fry, who's brighter than any of us and a national treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

I don't go out of my way to cause offence, but I don't much care if I do. Christopher Hitchens got it right, as ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k73Rfyu0DI

If the kids are old enough to ask about a word, they're old enough to be given an answer. If you aren't grown up enough to find an appropriate one, that's on you. 

In a football context, I like whatever song is making noise that lifts the atmosphere and gets behind the team, swearing or no swearing.

If you don't like, it take up bowls.

Swear filter on here is up to David. He puts the work in, it's his baby and his call. I don't much like having my free speech curtailed, but I choose not to be offended by it.

3 minutes ago, Needless said:

I like swearing. So does Stephen Fry, who's brighter than any of us and a national treasure.

I don't go out of my way to cause offence, but I don't much care if I do. Christopher Hitchens got it right, as ever.

If the kids are old enough to ask about a word, they're old enough to be given an answer. If you aren't grown up enough to find an appropriate one, that's on you. 

In a football context, I like whatever song is making noise that lifts the atmosphere and gets behind the team, swearing or no swearing.

How big and clever you are.

4 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

No need you have shown what kind of person you are in your original post.

Sanctimonious *ahem* to ad hominem response in two posts.

You're meeting all my expectations. I'm not here for a barney, so I'm bailing out.

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’m sorry but I don’t understand how people get offended by swearing. They’re just words 

As I started the conversation, I'd like to clarify that I was in no way offended. I just meant that I felt bad about 20 thousand people swearing in front of Keogh's child (who I assumed was called Toe) and he might not quite have thought it through and had to explain to the child what they were singing

For the record, I've always told my kids that swearing is acceptable at the football and in the car. All you can really do is teach your kids to understand when swearing is appropriate and when it isn't (The referee's a banker - yes. Grandma these carrots are ducking disgusting - no)

Just now, StivePesley said:

For the record, I've always told my kids that swearing is acceptable at the football and in the car. All you can really do is teach your kids to understand when swearing is appropriate and when it isn't (The referee's a banker - yes. Grandma these carrots are ducking disgusting - no)

That’s exactly what I intend to teach my future kids. That is, if any woman is daft enough to let me pass on my DNA.

For me it's quite simple, like what was said above, you cannot control what everyone around you says, so as long as you explain to them that sometimes people swear when they're angry and encourage replacement words for them to use (they should never do it at school etc) then what really is the problem?

While I agree it limits vocabulary, why stress yourself out getting offended over a word which is completely made up? Much bigger fish to fry but that's why we're all different I suppose.

22 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

As I started the conversation, I'd like to clarify that I was in no way offended. I just meant that I felt bad about 20 thousand people swearing in front of Keogh's child (who I assumed was called Toe) and he might not quite have thought it through and had to explain to the child what they were singing

Is swearing in the car the standard ‘what the duck is that twit doing’ and ducking use your bar steward eyes you blind twit’?

4 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

It pops up at away games on occasion. The simple ‘Derby, Derby Derby. Derby, Derby, Derbyyy Derby’ seems more popular though.

I like that one as well because I know all the words to it.

1 hour ago, Needless said:

Swear filter on here is up to David. He puts the work in, it's his baby and his call. I don't much like having my free speech curtailed, but I choose not to be offended by it.

You don’t much care if you do? If you don’t like it take up bowls? What a man ?

The bounce doesn’t bother or offend me but when the C word is shouted near me I hate it. This is because it’s always said by someone who doesn’t care that they are probably offending people. And they’re the worst kind of people to share any experience with. 

If you don’t like how I’ve responded, I’ve just refused to have my free speech curtailed ?

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

You don’t much care if you do? If you don’t like it take up bowls? What a man ?

The bounce doesn’t bother or offend me but when the C word is shouted near me I hate it. This is because it’s always said by someone who doesn’t care that they are probably offending people. And they’re the worst kind of people to share any experience with. 

If you don’t like how I’ve responded, I’ve just refused to have my free speech curtailed ?

I expressed an opinion, you expressed an opinion. I didn't feel the need to have a dig at you personally, or your gender. Have you considered why you DID?

You don't like the 'C word'. Fine. Don't say it then. I don't like the word 'slag'. It assumes a different set of values for men and women which I find sexist and distasteful, so I don't use that word. When others use it, it remains resolutely not my business and I don't react.

The 'c word' has it's origins (allegedly) in a 13th century word for a sheath for a dagger (quite pleasingly I think), and refers to a literal part of anatomy 3.5 billion people possess or is more usually used as a pejorative term in exactly the same manner as several words for the genitalia the other 3.5 billion people possess. It's worse in your head only. It has no intrinsic abhorrent quality. The word 'slag', as I explained above, does.

Why would we as a society or the swear filter on here, choose these priorities for censorship or opprobium? Your dislike isn't logical, and I don't respect it. I do still respect you, and wouldn't go out of my way to use such language in your presence, neither would I dream of attempting to curtail your free speech.

Swearing can be funny or make something mean more. In the bounce song though, it just seems unnecessary and unimaginative. In the Leeds Dambusters song though it fits perfectly.

I think the worse part though is "you're a red". Anti-Forest songs are a bit dull without any wit (unlike Dambusters) but more importantly, who has ever called them the Reds? Would be better off using Tree instead.

In other swearing news, I think the f word and the c word sound unpleasant with a hard Midlands 'uh' sound. I have ended up adopting a cockney 'a' sound in the two words which makes them much more comical and fun, if I ever do use them.

If you don't fa..ing bounce you're a ca.. is an option perhaps?!

Also, not sure if the Belle and Sebastian was a cartoon or band reference, but it's about time we had a B&S lyrics Derby thread @Inverurie Ram to celebrate one of Scotland's finest.

The Boy with the Derby Hat? The loneliness of a Derby midfield runner? Get me away from here I'm Derby? Mount in the Snow? Sleep Keogh around?

2 hours ago, Needless said:

Needless getting abuse for making a well reasoned point. Not sure why. And anyone who posts a link to a Christopher Hitchens video gets an automatic like from me.

Archived