The 'Bounce'

RamLad1884

"Since I was Young" Rocked in the 13/14 play offs. Felt like we did it best. 

"We Are Derby" is my favourite too. Especially after the first verse is done and then the next round is belted out!! 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’m sorry but I don’t understand how people get offended by swearing. They’re just words that, unlike racial slurs, have never been used to discriminate against any particular group of people.

Profanity is a concept is of religious origin, like most of the out-dated balls in society. 

Abuse is abuse, whichever words it contains, and is made no worse in principle by the existence of specific words that the richest people in the medieval ages didn't like because peasants used them.
Swearing in a non-abusive way literally cannot offend anybody. 

Ergo, the words are simply not offensive and the sooner everyone comes to grips with that concept the better. Especially because if they don't my as yet unborn children will be getting detention an awful lot at school ? 

Also, just for clarity, slurs and profanity are two different things. I think everyone can agree that slurs are always offensive and unacceptable. 

On topic: The bounce is alright.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

As a woman I absolutely hate the c word and find it extremely offensive. I don't understand why it isn't considered discriminatory. 

Fair enough, my sister has suggested the same about that particular word. I do wonder about the difference between that and slang terms used for male genitalia though, other than the slightly harsher sound and the fact that it's traditionally seen as the worst swear word. Perhaps the fact that women have been historically oppressed?

11 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Virtually all swear words refer to either various forms of sexual activity or genitalia, try explaing them to a five or six year old or using them in front of your mother/granny. 

So if you therefore don't understand why people get offended by swearing you may have Tourettes.  

You only have to explain it in an awkward manner if you first categorise them as swear words.

6 year olds have words for genitals. Why is "you stupid dick" more offensive than "you silly willy" (which is quickly adapted from silly billy by 5 year olds) ?

The only reason is "because we've been told it is". The inherent meaning is exactly the same.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Profanity is a concept is of religious origin, like most of the out-dated balls in society. 

Abuse is abuse, whichever words it contains, and is made no worse in principle by the existence of specific words that the richest people in the medieval ages didn't like because peasants used them.
Swearing in a non-abusive way literally cannot offend anybody. 

Ergo, the words are simply not offensive and the sooner everyone comes to grips with that concept the better. Especially because if they don't my as yet unborn children will be getting detention an awful lot at school ? 

Also, just for clarity, slurs and profanity are two different things. I think everyone can agree that slurs are always offensive and unacceptable. 

Exactly my way of thinking. If it isn't directed at someone in a nasty way then it's fine in my book and those who suggest otherwise do so because it's how they've been brought up (in my opinion). I affectionately call my mates things that my mum (both biological and forum!) would shudder to hear.

Then again, if it lost its offensiveness would it still be useful as an intensifier?

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

You only have to explain it in an awkward manner if you first categorise them as swear words.

6 year olds have words for genitals. Why is "you stupid dick" more offensive than "you silly willy" (which is quickly adapted from silly billy by 5 year olds) ?

The only reason is "because we've been told it is". The inherent meaning is exactly the same.

This analogy is wrong on so many levels, but my main point is should small children have to understand about sexual activity etc at a very young age or should they be allowed to have a childhood?

If swearing is acceptable why does this forum have a swear filter?

4 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

This analogy is wrong on so many levels, but my main point is should small children have to understand about sexual activity etc at a very young age or should they be allowed to have a childhood?

Because David wants to have one, and it's his forum. I wouldn't have one. 

Words have lots of meanings - swear words have LOADS. Tell them one that isn't sexual. Not difficult. Unlikely a 6 year old is going to hear a swear word used in a sexual context. 

9 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

Pretty much every swear word can be explained as meaning 'idiot'. Which is a far more accurate synonym in this context than their actual meaning.

2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Pretty much every swear word can be explained as meaning 'idiot'. Which is a far more accurate synonym in this context than their actual meaning.

"If you don't ducking bounce" is "if you don't bounce emphatically" in terms of types of use of profanity.

I'm sure someone could better explain that to a child though, I'm not sure my version would help ? 

15 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Fair enough, my sister has suggested the same about that particular word. I do wonder about the difference between that and slang terms used for male genitalia though, other than the slightly harsher sound and the fact that it's traditionally seen as the worst swear word. Perhaps the fact that women have been historically oppressed?

Maybe so, I don't particularly like the male ones either but it's a bit harder to get personally offended by something you haven't got! Why aren't men offended by them? I  don't know.

We have such a rich and diverse vocabulary that I would rather use that to come up with some clever and withering put down than to just use the same predictable swear words. 

Although I do sometimes swear at referees in the heat of the moment so I am a bit of a hypocrite! 

But in a song? No, be more imaginative. 

14 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I mentally swear every time I read garbage like this.

48 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is absolutely not safe for work, so comes with that #NSFW health warning.

But when I searched #DCFC on twitter the other day there were plenty of examples of people asking for Super Frankie Lampard to start the bounce that I was not expecting. I presumed that was what this thread was about!

Yeah I can see why there’s comparisons with YNWA, not a Liverpool fixture goes by without one of these ladies bouncing to Gerry and the Pacemakers.

14 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I guess it's a bit of a circular argument, if people were no longer offended by them then they would no longer be swear words.

1 minute ago, Asheville Ram said:

You should try swearing out loud. Far more cathartic. 

6 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

I'm sorry, but if your kid asked you what 'banker' meant, surely you'd go for it meaning 'idiot' rather than explaining what it actually entails? The actual meaning makes its use as a pejorative seem ridiculous. 

Archived