Don’t Leave Games Early

DarkFruitsRam7

15 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

I really don’t get it. 

85 mins and derby attacking to potentially gain a play off spot. All derby and they needed our support! 

all for what?  Not being in traffic for 10 mins? 

Strange 

Why can't people do what they want? They have paid for a ticket. People's time is precious. I have a 20 minute journey home if I leave early or an hour if i don't. Having said that, I usually don't leave early and rush to the car. Sorry but sitting in traffic is a big factor for many.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been games where I have sat there until the final whistle and regretted not leaving at 80 minutes, there have been games when I sat there until the final whistle and regretted even going to the game at all, there have been games where I left at half time and It was a great decision, there have been games where I left at half time and missed a cracking second half....etc etc

BUT the important factor is, all these scenarios (and many others) were/are my choice and whatever I do or do not do at a football match has absolutely F all to do with anyone else. 

I generally head down to watch the end of a match on the concourse TV's for two reasons.

1. I'm at the back of the South Stand and it takes an age to get down the stairs.

2. Related to the above - I have a three hour drive home.

I sometimes feel like I'm being judged by those around me as I walk down the stairs so must get 'I live 168 miles away' printed on the back of my shirt!

17 hours ago, Coconut said:

....but for some bloody reason I'm too bloody cycnical to have properly enjoyed it. All I was thinking was that, yeah it's great that we've temporarily moved into the playoffs but so what, even if we're there in a few games time we're still likely going to have beat one of the teams (Leeds/Villa) who've collectively got a 12-1 aggregate score against us from earlier matches either over 2 legs or in a one-off match, so what's the point in celebrating it?

I'm afraid it was 13-1

20 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I say it time and time again. You wouldn’t leave ten minutes before the end of a film would you? Can’t stand the sight of people streaming down the stairs when we’re still fighting. 

Today was absolutely glorious.

I was laughing to myself about that, thinking it serves them right... Then I realised I was listening to the last 20 (+11) mins on RD, as I neared home, and hadn't even been there to see the crap bits, never mind the grand finale!  Doh!  

I wish people would just support how they wanted, without judging other supporters or lecturing them on the ''right'' way to support. Sod off. Who gives you the right to speak for the fanbase? I stayed to the end, but I completely understand people leaving early, they paid their ticket, they have their choice. Every time I read a thread like this I feel disappointed.

20 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I say it time and time again. You wouldn’t leave ten minutes before the end of a film would you? Can’t stand the sight of people streaming down the stairs when we’re still fighting. 

Today was absolutely glorious.

I 'left' after 90+11 minutes as I needed a pee before the walk back to the car (ie, just after the second goal)

However, there are loads of people around us who leave early most games - Leave 'em to it - Doesn't make any difference to me if they miss goals 

6 hours ago, Davide said:

Why can't people do what they want? They have paid for a ticket. People's time is precious. I have a 20 minute journey home if I leave early or an hour if i don't. Having said that, I usually don't leave early and rush to the car. Sorry but sitting in traffic is a big factor for many.

So you pay for a ticket and make the effort to get to the game but don’t stay until the final whistle?? I get the traffic part but In reality how long will you be sat in it for? Is it worth missing probably 2 of our most important goals of the season? I don’t think so

Just now, Fraser_23 said:

So you pay for a ticket and make the effort to get to the game but don’t stay until the final whistle?? I get the traffic part but In reality how long will you be sat in it for? Is it worth missing probably 2 of our most important goals of the season? I don’t think so

You don't know what you will miss, who knows what will happen. But traffic is a killer, makes a big difference. I just jog back to the car now and leave at or just before final whistle.  Having said that, I wouldn't be leaving if there is a one goal difference or the scores are level but each to their own. People have different commitments and some need to get back / can't be stuck in endless traffic.

10 minutes ago, Davide said:

You don't know what you will miss, who knows what will happen. But traffic is a killer, makes a big difference. I just jog back to the car now and leave at or just before final whistle.  Having said that, I wouldn't be leaving if there is a one goal difference or the scores are level but each to their own. People have different commitments and some need to get back / can't be stuck in endless traffic.

Yeah I don’t wait on the stairs. I always make sure I get down to bottom of stairs and watch last few seconds there, so I don’t miss any of the game. Then I just jog to dunelm and get away without any traffic 

I guess its all about what peoples’ priorities are. Some people prioritise getting home early on a saturday evening over watching their team - thats totally up to them , its their choice.

Different people have different levels of desire for their team and their day out at the football, and how that ranks in their personal list of priorities. Its up to them. People who are desperate to get home within 10 minutes of leaving the ground contrast interestingly with those who are perfectly content to get home within two or three hours of the final whistle ( as we do), such is their support for the club and their love of the matchday experience - not something to just get out of the way as soon as possible and on to the next event in their busy lives.

What was great about yesterday, though, was how many people were still in the ground at the final whistle to give the team and manager the reception they deserved ! 

On 23/04/2019 at 13:00, MuespachRam said:

There have been games where I have sat there until the final whistle and regretted not leaving at 80 minutes, there have been games when I sat there until the final whistle and regretted even going to the game at all, there have been games where I left at half time and It was a great decision, there have been games where I left at half time and missed a cracking second half....etc etc

BUT the important factor is, all these scenarios (and many others) were/are my choice and whatever I do or do not do at a football match has absolutely F all to do with anyone else. 

I think the important factor is that whatever you choose to do (as indeed is your right), that you do so whilst minimizing any disruption caused to those who want to do something different (as is THEIR right).

?

On 23/04/2019 at 18:40, angieram said:

I don't mind people leaving early providing they get on with it and don't block my view as they dawdle down the stairs.

Exactly, so when people are saying ‘it’s nothing to do with anyone else’ it actually is when they stop you from watching what YOU have paid to watch. 

Archived