Race for the Play Offs

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think we are a much stronger set up than when we last played both sides. Frank, Morris et al are making positive impacts during games, we look more balanced as a side and the players are picking up a decent bit of form individually and the whole squad. Also Leeds have lost their nerve this second half of the season and if we are playing Villa in a one off you never know. We have weaknesses, as shown tonight, but we are there on merit.

Im not really being optimistic, my expectation is that Boro will get 6th, but if we get 6th then I don’t think we have any reason to fear it.

Just enjoy the ride.

Not sure how you can expect us to lose at home to a team we thrashed on their patch and Boro to win away if you think *we are a much stronger setup* than when we lost to Leeds and Villa.

As for the ride, I'm loving it (in a Graham Taylor voice)!

How could you not?

I thought we'd blown in 2 months ago, so this is gravy!

Evening my Babbers.

Interesting last day of the season. We (BC) are mostly just pleased to have competed and be in with a small chance of a Play off spot, wasn't much of a prospect having sold three of our better players last Summer. Whereas I'd venture a decent proportion of you expected to be at least in the lottery and the Smoggies definitely will have expected top 6 as an absolute minimum.

Perhaps that may be the difference come mid afternoon on Sunday :)

Anyways, it's yours to lose...………….

4 hours ago, Gut_Reaction said:

Evening my Babbers.

Interesting last day of the season. We (BC) are mostly just pleased to have competed and be in with a small chance of a Play off spot, wasn't much of a prospect having sold three of our better players last Summer. Whereas I'd venture a decent proportion of you expected to be at least in the lottery and the Smoggies definitely will have expected top 6 as an absolute minimum.

Perhaps that may be the difference come mid afternoon on Sunday :)

I wouldn't say we 'expected' to be in the play offs. We sold vydra and changed manager (again). We hoped we could be competitive but most expected a slight dip from 75pts. Its a photo finish rather than ours to lose.

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Can anybody remember what were the permutations when we lost to Reading?

That is coming back to haunt me.

Hopefully it's only me and not the team!

I seem to remember being disappointed when we lost that game, but not surprised. 

I’m not sure why I felt so comparatively down beat about that game. Something seemed so inevitable about it, despite us only needing 1 point. 

This time I’m very excited, but not expectant. If we don’t win, I won’t be totally gutted. But it’s all very exciting. 

The pressure well probably get to all three of us. We’ll all lose, and then this point against Swansea will be vital. 

8 hours ago, Gut_Reaction said:

Evening my Babbers.

Perhaps that may be the difference come mid afternoon on Sunday ?

If we fail then I would rather it's to Bristol rather than that snivelling weasel Gibson, his neanderthal manager and primordial team.

Safe journey 'ome, love to the faaaaamly ?

49 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I seem to remember being disappointed when we lost that game, but not surprised. 

I’m not sure why I felt so comparatively down beat about that game. Something seemed so inevitable about it, despite us only needing 1 point. 

This time I’m very excited, but not expectant. If we don’t win, I won’t be totally gutted. But it’s all very exciting. 

The pressure well probably get to all three of us. We’ll all lose, and then this point against Swansea will be vital. 

Agree with this. Its a different scenario and feeling going into our last game. We had messed up automatic by the time we played Reading and the whole McClaren Newcastle fiasco had really put a downer on the season. 

Excited but not expectant is spot on @TigerTedd we've had some cracking highlights this season and overall its been a thoroughly enjoyable year. The atmosphere as it has been the last few games home and away will be incredible. I didn't go last night but could still hear the Derby fans make a racket on Radio Derby. Think this will be a big factor. 

Rather than look at the Reading defeat last day, cast your minds back to last season when we battered Barnsley on the last day when it mattered to secure the spot. Go even further back to 2014 when we beat Preston on the final day with a 3-1 win with George Burley at the helm. Mind blank on what happened in the play-offs against them a week later though on both occasions  ? 

I'd much rather be playing West Brom in the last game than say a Boro or another anti-football movement like them. We've opened West Brom up before in one of our best performances of the season. Yes they're a different side with a different gaffer but still very much beatable. 

Boro and Bristol don't have easy rides on the last day either. There's a lot of ifs and but's still to pan out! 

I believe in Frank and the boys, they all want this. Fine margins prevented the job getting done last night. Sounds like they went for it first half and just couldn't get the second goal to see us through and the energy had been sapped out of the legs towards the end. Regroup and go again Sunday. 

Nothing changes, you go out to win every game no matter what and the stage is set for Saturday. Whatever happens its been a great season with ups and downs. Prem scalps, League cup runs, FA Cup runs, penalty shootouts, last minute winners and plenty of bouncers! Players, Management and Fans seem to be closer as one than ever before in recent seasons! 

COYR! 

I’m very excited, but not expectant

Excited but not expectant is spot on

Ok....i'll turn my jizzometer down one notch.

5 minutes ago, HertsRam said:

I might sound stupid but I can’t remember. Is game A of the play offs 3rd vs 6th? I’m just seeing what day I need to get off for the second leg should we get there! Cheers 

"The EFL will confirm which ties are A and B for each division after consulting with police at the end of the regular season."

Apparently

7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

"The EFL will confirm which ties are A and B for each division after consulting with police at the end of the regular season."

Apparently

Will be especially tricky if the current 6 are the teams I would imagine - Lots of traffic into the Midlands

Your resident weirdo "plastic" football fan has some thoughts.

First of all, I still don't know if anyone believes this but I really hope you make it, first of all for Mel, secondly for Frank, to make the play offs in his first full season is a very solid job. Thirdly I want you to make it 'cos of the the friends I've made on here and even though there have some total **** ****, I can't separate those who I like and want success for them but not the others. If I could I would though!!

Just go and do what you did to West Brom last time you played them, probably one of the best performances I've seen from you this season.

Try to enjoy the day and remember whatever happens, you're back next season to have a crack at whatever league you're in.

I won't be watching as I'll be glued to Peterboro v Burton, but it'll be the first result I look for.

All the best ladies and gents.

Making it hard work for ourselves and Muddlesborough now have a real chance of pulling the rug from beneath us. What will be will be ,we appear to have dropped so many points against opposition where we would least expect it and never had a consistent run of winning form all season.Don't believe Middlesbrough deserve promotion / 6th spot any more than us with their style of football and they are typical  of being one of the teams we dropped points against when on the day we probably should have taken all points.Can't complain about the teams above us though all played more consistently than ourselves ,However do think if we got a shot of play offs we could surprise a few teams in the day.

COYR.

2 hours ago, HertsRam said:

I might sound stupid but I can’t remember. Is game A of the play offs 3rd vs 6th? I’m just seeing what day I need to get off for the second leg should we get there! Cheers 

Policing issues will be the major concern and will be the major factor in determining who plays when. Can't see the police being happy with a 5:15 kickoff between us and Leeds so my money will be on 12:30

Archived