The Politics Thread 2019

Day

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Careful, you'll be labelled a racist sympathiser if you're not careful!

Haha, good bantz....although I wasn't agreeing with his vile adverts threatening that we would be invaded by terrorists if we stay in the EU, so I should be ok.

Back to my original question though, what do you think when arch Brexiteer Farage thinks this is a terrible deal.

Looks like more and more MPs will realise it's a bad deal when they actually are allowed to see what is involved. Think the chance to get the rebels (Tories and Labour) and ERG to vote for it may have passed.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

FB_IMG_1571679450121.jpg

The reason why no one really wants a second referendum is because after 3 years of arguing and us Brexiteers dying of old age the result is still to close to call.  Imagine if leave won again!  Be careful what you wish for...

https://www.politico.eu/article/poll-second-brexit-referendum-too-close-to-call-theresa-may-deal-remain/

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/17/48-35-britons-would-rather-have-no-deal-and-no-cor

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Haha, good bantz....although I wasn't agreeing with his vile adverts threatening that we would be invaded by terrorists if we stay in the EU, so I should be ok.

Back to my original question though, what do you think when arch Brexiteer Farage thinks this is a terrible deal.

Looks like more and more MPs will realise it's a bad deal when they actually are allowed to see what is involved. Think the chance to get the rebels (Tories and Labour) and ERG to vote for it may have passed.

Where is this advert threatening that we would be invaded by terrorists? Never seen that one.

Not sure what to make of Farage's comments, I'm beginning to wonder if he realises his time is nearly up and if he is coming up with things to try and remain relevant.

He had clearly made his mind up about the Withdrawal Agreement before he had even seen it hence why I'm a bit suspicious.

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Feminist and social activist.. Why should I take her words as fact? 

So if she said the world was flat, you would take her word for it. 

Come on then. Get your finger out and start telling me why I shouldn't believe what she says. Tell me where I've gone wrong. Do us all a favour and put forward some counter arguments. Give us some keen, cutting-edge Brexiter insights that we can all share and learn from, instead of just coming out with "rubbish" or "baalocks" at every opportunity. Tell us about feminists and social activists and their role in the Brexit process.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Where is this advert threatening that we would be invaded by terrorists? Never seen that one.

Not sure what to make of Farage's comments, I'm beginning to wonder if he realises his time is nearly up and if he is coming up with things to try and remain relevant.

He had clearly made his mind up about the Withdrawal Agreement before he had even seen it hence why I'm a bit suspicious.

I think that's because he shifted gradually from his referendum position of "take back control, get a great deal".....

all the way to "only a pure no deal Brexit is Brexit"

No, I am not quoting verbatim but paraphrasing. But that's my reading of his words - inventing terms like "brino" along the way.

He's become some kind of weird almost quasi-religious zealot. 

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

While I was having my tea, I thought you might have surprised me by taking the opportunity to tell me why I'm wrong without just using the words "rubbish" or "baalocks", so here you are. This blog sums up very well what I and many others have been trying to say.

It is written by someone who knows how to write good English and knows what a greengrocer's apostrophe is, which probably makes him part of the out-of-touch, sneering liberal elite that Brexiters hate so much.

http://theconversation.com/deregulation-and-standards-after-brexit-what-naomi-kleins-disaster-capitalism-can-tell-us-124908

Interesting article.

Do you think the situations in Bolivia and Sri Lanka are good comparisons to Brexit though?

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think that's because he shifted gradually from his referendum position of "take back control, get a great deal".....

all the way to "only a pure no deal Brexit is Brexit"

No, I am not quoting verbatim but paraphrasing. But that's my reading of his words - inventing terms like "brino" along the way.

He's become some kind of weird almost quasi-religious zealot. 

Wouldnt go that far but see where you're coming from.

Do find it a bit weird how often he tells everyone that 'no deal is better than a bad deal' and 'clean break Brexit' are both phrases that he coined.

Personally, I find them as annoying as 'crashing out' and 'heading over a cliff'.

2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I think it's because Johnson, even though he's PM, is one of the least trustest politicians in this country (which is quite some accolade in an odd kind of way). Once no deal is 'off the table' there may well be a vote of no confidence.

You may be right and it’s a good point.
 but in essence there have been 2 deals presented to parliament .. neither have been acceptable. So what is this wonderful deal that can be enacted when “no deal is off the table” .. .. Corbyn deliver it ? Excuse my snort of derision 

naaa a lot of parliament wants to stay (so do I ) but the country isn’ t so sure. 

it’s power games and nothing to do with what is right or what the people want otherwise we would have had a general election which was within the power of parliament to engineer if it chose to. 

2 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Come on then. Get your finger out and start telling me why I shouldn't believe what she says. Tell me where I've gone wrong. Do us all a favour and put forward some counter arguments. Give us some keen, cutting-edge Brexiter insights that we can all share and learn from, instead of just coming out with "rubbish" or "baalocks" at every opportunity. Tell us about feminists and social activists and their role in the Brexit process.

It’s an opinion piece.. You posted it as some type of fact, which it is clearly not. How does she know what the UK govt is planning? 

She has an agenda which is obvious if you read her bio and other pces. Remainers wonder why we go on about project fear, we’ll here you have it. Totally unfounded and agenda riddled but put out there as a certain outcome. Rubbish fella.

Again you made the big shout. Don’t be shocked when you are challenged. It’s up to you to reinforce and prove your statement with the facts. You have not done that yet.. I wonder who she knows in the UK Govt that has told her categorically that disaster capitalism is the aim of the Tory Party and that will be the outcome from a Brexit of any sorts? I am guessing she does not know anyone, she has no proof, she does not even say that but you have taken it to another level.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Presume if there was a second referendum, and remain was to win it, then we'd only have to wait about 3 years and we could have another one.

Heard one Labour MP say today that a second referendum would unite the country.. How out of touch can you be.

2 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Presume if there was a second referendum, and remain was to win it, then we'd only have to wait about 3 years and we could have another one.

Wouldn't have a problem with that, as long as we used the three years to prepare for Brexit and not try to wing it. 

59 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

It’s an opinion piece.. You posted it as some type of fact, which it is clearly not. How does she know what the UK govt is planning? 

She has an agenda which is obvious if you read her bio and other pces. Remainers wonder why we go on about project fear, we’ll hear you have it. Totally unfounded and agenda riddled but put out there as a certain outcome. Rubbish fella.

Again you made the big shout. Don’t be shocked when you are challenged. It’s up to you to reinforce and prove your statement with the facts. You have not done that yet.. I wonder who she knows in the UK Govt that has told her categorically that disaster capitalism is the aim of the Tory Party and that will be the outcome from a Brexit of any sorts? I am guessing she does not know anyone, she has no proof, she does not even say that but you have taken it to another level.

The only way that this will become "fact" is if they own up to it, and they're not likely to do that, are they?

If I had access to the highest offices of state, I wouldn't be posting here on a football message board.

She does have an agenda, which is standing up for working people, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Brexiteers don't want a second referendum, claiming it to be undemocratic. At the same time many of the same brexiteers would be happy if we had a General Election.

We'd end up with a pseudo GE that would be a EU referendum in all but name.

How much of all the parties campaigns would be taken up by brexit. How many voters would end up voting for a party that offered the brexit they wanted, while disliking all their other policies on the NHS, the economy, social care, etc.

So even after an election and we end up with a party or parties that are capable of forming a government and give the country the brexit it wants. We could also end up with a government implementing their other policies that the majority of the electorate didn't really want.

So surely a second referendum is the most logical way forward. The vote being in two parts, the first part being an in or out vote, with the second part being a choice on how we'd leave, if the first part of the vote produced a leave vote.

If the vote was to leave with a hard brexit. Then I could accept that more readily than the last referendum. As it would be the peoples choice on how we left. 

Once the decision on brexit was done. Then we could get down to a proper GE that would concentrate on the major issues affecting the country.

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Feminist and social activist.. Why should I take her words as fact? 

So if she said the world was flat, you would take her word for it.

You shouldn't take them as fact, you should debate them on their merits if you have an issue with them, rather than simply resorting to the lazy ad hominem approach. 

Incidentally, neither of the labels you use to smear her character are actually negatives.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

The one he put live on the day just before Jo Cox was murdered. Surely you remember that.

Oh dear you're not joining the club of Remainers using the Jo Cox murder to political point score I hope?

I've searched the internet for Nigel Farage advert warning of terrorist invasion and it didnt return anything?

Can you post a link to it please?

Archived