The Politics Thread 2019

Day

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I'm not actually suggesting that they blame him - because you're right. By law he had no choice. But to not report it as a humiliation or at the very least a personal embarassment is just weird

"PM says under no circumstances will he send letter, and would rather be dead in a ditch than send it - sends letter"

And thats exactly the reason why they can't really report it any other way.  

He did everything he could to force Brexit through but has been blocked by the opposition at every turn.  People are getting increasingly sick of the ongoing Brexit saga and a lot of the media came out in approval of the new deal at the weekend. 

If they try to humiliate BJ, his reply is simple; I've tried everything including calling for a General Election and negotiating a new deal but the opposition continue to block me - it could backfire and he might gain sympathy/support. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I'm not actually suggesting that they blame him - because you're right. By law he had no choice. But to not report it as a humiliation or at the very least a personal embarassment is just weird

"PM says under no circumstances will he send letter, and would rather be dead in a ditch than send it - sends letter"

And exactly what does that achieve? On the whole both the media and politicians seem intent on backing people into a corner at every opportunity. What will this look like in 12 month, what will that look like in 12 months. Are you saying categorically that this or that won't happen... They just want to trip people up all the time. All sides are guilty. It makes interviews a complete waste of time, now nobody wants to say anything or just spews out some sound bite that does not relate to the question.

So I repeat, what exactly do you get from it.. A warm glow.

By the way plenty of main stream media has tried to go down the humiliation road. It does not wash on this occasion.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Exempt? Employees still have to opt out meaning it’s down to choice if someone works more than 48 hours on a regular basis

Try not signing the opt out clause when you start a new job and see how long your job lasts after the probation period ends.

45 minutes ago, maxjam said:

And thats exactly the reason why they can't really report it any other way. 

Still not sure you're getting my point. I'm not talking about the reporting of the fact he did it. I'm talking about the fact he gave it 100% bluster with all the rhetoric about dying in ditches and how he absolutely would not do it.

It was obvious to everyone that he'd have to do it - for all the reasons you state. He didn't have to go with all the theatrics and pig-headedness that he'd rather die than do it. He knew all along that he's have to do it. He could have just said "I don;t want to, but I appreciate that I might have to"

Yet nowhere in the mainstream media do they point out the embarassment of those words, and how, yet again he's ended up looking like a bloke who is all talk and zero ability to get stuff done.

17 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Still not sure you're getting my point. I'm not talking about the reporting of the fact he did it. I'm talking about the fact he gave it 100% bluster with all the rhetoric about dying in ditches and how he absolutely would not do it.

I get your point, I think he's played a game with both words and politics to generate sympathy and support - neither have worked and we're still gridlocked. 

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yet nowhere in the mainstream media do they point out the embarassment of those words, and how, yet again he's ended up looking like a bloke who is all talk and zero ability to get stuff done.

As I said previously I think its all been game to generate support, come out with 'do or die Brexit' then 'look I tried my best, blame them lot'.  If they try to humiliate him to much, especially since a lot of the media were keen on the new deal, it could backfire. 

3 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Well, the UK is already exempt from the EU Working Time Directive which is designed to prevent people from having to work excessive hours. The aim of Brexit is to get rid of all other regulations so that Britain can become a sweatshop.

I am always asked to sign an "opt out" of the working time directive within my employment contracts, but i assumed that was because I could in theory refuse and then the WTD would apply. Makes no sense me being asked to do that if the UK has a blanket opt-out........ 

48 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yes because the last thing we want is for something related to Brexit to backfire! ?

If you look at BJ's 'humiliation' from a remainers perspective yes you could score some quick points by saying he's all talk no action. 

However, as there was a mostly positive reception in the media to his new deal this weekend, and most people now just want it to be over one way or another.  If to much fuss was made of his do or die bluster people might start to think the end was in sight, he has done his utmost to bring it to a conclusion, its the other lot that are dragging it out.  Scoring a few quick points might then backfire on the remainers.

IMO remainers have played the perfect game so far in not allowing Brexit/General Elections/2nd referendums to happen.  People are still broadly split 50-50, if they continue to block and oppose everything and then gloat about BJs bluster being all talk and no action.  it might do more damage to their cause than any short term 'win'.

4 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Well, the UK is already exempt from the EU Working Time Directive which is designed to prevent people from having to work excessive hours. The aim of Brexit is to get rid of all other regulations so that Britain can become a sweatshop.

Rubbish.. We are not exempt, employee's can opt out. The rest is just rubbish but no doubt you will dress it up as 'fact'. Would be interested to see what you can supply to back up that rather large statement.

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

If we get the extension that's been asked for, maybe the general election becomes possible.

But that relies on the EU and is beyond UK political control. And the opposition was more than free to call for an election with a vote of no confidence .. yet they didn’t ? Why was that one wonders ? 

53 minutes ago, jono said:

But that relies on the EU and is beyond UK political control. And the opposition was more than free to call for an election with a vote of no confidence .. yet they didn’t ? Why was that one wonders ? 

I think it's because Johnson, even though he's PM, is one of the least trustest politicians in this country (which is quite some accolade in an odd kind of way). Once no deal is 'off the table' there may well be a vote of no confidence.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Rubbish.. We are not exempt, employee's can opt out. The rest is just rubbish but no doubt you will dress it up as 'fact'. Would be interested to see what you can supply to back up that rather large statement.

While I was having my tea, I thought you might have surprised me by taking the opportunity to tell me why I'm wrong without just using the words "rubbish" or "baalocks", so here you are. This blog sums up very well what I and many others have been trying to say.

It is written by someone who knows how to write good English and knows what a greengrocer's apostrophe is, which probably makes him part of the out-of-touch, sneering liberal elite that Brexiters hate so much.

http://theconversation.com/deregulation-and-standards-after-brexit-what-naomi-kleins-disaster-capitalism-can-tell-us-124908

18 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

While I was having my tea, I thought you might have surprised me by taking the opportunity to tell me why I'm wrong without just using the words "rubbish" or "baalocks", so here you are. This blog sums up very well what I and many others have been trying to say.

It is written by someone who knows how to write good English and knows what a greengrocer's apostrophe is, which probably makes him part of the out-of-touch, sneering liberal elite that Brexiters hate so much.

http://theconversation.com/deregulation-and-standards-after-brexit-what-naomi-kleins-disaster-capitalism-can-tell-us-124908

Feminist and social activist.. Why should I take her words as fact? 

So if she said the world was flat, you would take her word for it. 

Archived