The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Norman said:

Aye, Corbyn costs us millions a day with his poo opposition, his problems with helping any form of negotiations and leaving us with no cards on the table to try and get a deal with. And all the extensions. 

Wonder what the total cost of Corbyn's poor leadership of the opposition has cost us. 

Like you say, Swinson has said it. I disagree completely with her, but at least I know what her and her party stands for. 

Why is it that Corbyn as cost the country millions of pounds?  If one is to believe a number of poster claims, that he as been a poor opposition leader and hasn't managed to lay a blow on an incompetent government and their last few leaders. How can he be held solely responsible for delaying brexit if he's so useless. Aren't the SNP, the Liberal Democrats and a large group of tories namely the ERG, just as responsible for any delays.

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No not particularly, wanted it done on 31st March.

If it wasnt for the whinging remoaners we would be out by now and would probably have had our trade deal with the EU sorted.

Think you need to have a word with Merkel, she certainly doesnt expect a post Brexit UK to turn out how you are expecting it to, sure your words will save her a lot of worry!

All you really need to complete this post is a rousing chorus of "Ten German bombers".

56 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Why is it that Corbyn as cost the country millions of pounds?  If one is to believe a number of poster claims, that he as been a poor opposition leader and hasn't managed to lay a blow on an incompetent government and their last few leaders. How can he be held solely responsible for delaying brexit if he's so useless. Aren't the SNP, the Liberal Democrats and a large group of tories namely the ERG, just as responsible for any delays.

Well, yeah. 

But Corbyn is the leader of the opposition. One who has no stance on Brexit for 40 odd months. 

29 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Struggling with this one. Would it have been good leadership of the opposition if he'd agreed with the government?

It's not hard is it? 

What has he done in the last 3 and a half years to help?

What are his aims for Brexit?

So many questions, so little answers

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Struggling with this one. Would it have been good leadership of the opposition if he'd agreed with the government?

Strange to single out the opposition for criticism too, you would have thought the party in government might have borne some of the responsibility. Apparently not, it's all Corbyn's fault. 

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Strange to single out the opposition for criticism too, you would have thought the party in government might have borne some of the responsibility. Apparently not, it's all Corbyn's fault. 

That's not what I said and you know it. 

Corbyn has cost this country through poor leadership. Same as May. 

Not hard to grasp. Don't let your Labour bias cloud what you read. 

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

What should he have done differently - and how would that have changed the past 3 years? Genuinely interested to know

I'm not saying he's done everything right - but I see no path he could have taken that wouldn't have still left him shafted

What should he have done?

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

It's pretty much exactly what you said in the post I read. 

Labour bias?  I've never even voted in a UK election.

It seems to me that the Conservatives surely deserve the lion's share of the blame if you are concerned with costs to Britain.  Given that they proposed the referendum (despite not really taking it seriously). Then they were then in government when it came to implementing it and have so far failed to deliver.  If that has been the thrust of your previous posts then it's fine to have a pop at Labour too I suppose.  If not, then I think it's you who is displaying bias.

29 minutes ago, Norman said:

Well, yeah. 

But Corbyn is the leader of the opposition. One who has no stance on Brexit for 40 odd months. 

So he's leader of the opposition that voted consistently against May's deal . Was it not the leader of this present government along with some of his cabinet ministers and members of the ERG that flip-floped on their voting on May's deal. If these tory MPs had have supported their then leader, brexit may not have been delayed so saving us all those millions.

36 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

Now for the serious part, I've just renewed by passport which will take a few weeks to get back to me and wondering what colour it will be EU Red or UK Blue.

I think the French printers are still producing it in UK red at the moment.

If Johnson's deal is successful, we'll probably get a GB passport in blue but who knows what colour the NI passport will be in a few years time.

52 minutes ago, Norman said:

Much as i dislike him, May cost the country so much by assuming she was going to win by a landslide at the last election. 

Proper sliding doors moment.

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

Referendum to leave the EU was called by a Tory Prime Minister in 2016 who then stepped down after the vote.

The next Tory Prime Minister's deal to leave was voted against by the ERG, a group of far right Tories who wanted a no deal Brexit.

If the Tory party had stuck together, Brexit would be done and dusted.

Labour have been out of government since 2010, yet its Labour's fault that Brexit is a mess.......maybe a tad of Tory bias going on there Norm?

Corbyn has been a weak leader of the opposition in my opinion.

He under estimated the powerful lobby's against him from within his own party. By his support for a Palestinian state he guaranteed the influential Labour Friends of Israel group would oppose him no matter what his policies were on anything else.

He should have concentrated on core policies of taking back control of the NHS, Transport, Education, Power and Water and not allowed himself to distracted by fringe policies that the Tory media seized upon to drive a wedge between the working class. The Tories have no principles of lying or omitting details about unpopular plans (Tories promise to increase spending on NHS when they mean extra money for multinational companies profiteering from the NHS).

I think Corbyn is a principled, decent, civilised bloke who opposes war, racism and poverty as a natural, human position. 

I also think he's too naive to be a modern politician. He's fully aware of the sinister forces against him but made it too easy for them to demonise  him.

My hope is that the Labour Party, post Corbyn, will continue to fight for the people it was created for in the first place going forward and not taken back by a Tory- lite faction that allowed the right to decimate public services and so created the anger of ordinary people that led to Brexit.

There is no point in civilisation and democracy if it doesn't use the combined strength of the people to eradicate poverty and suffering. We got very close to doing just that in our much maligned little island at one point. We could do it again if we stuck together but I fear the ruling class have found a way to divide us.

Corbyn's biggest threat to the current ruling class is his opposition to war. War creates millions of refugees, refugees create racism and fear, without racism and fear, people may actually question the ones running the show when their lives are miserable....you know, the ones creating the wars and misery, not the ones who oppose it.

1 hour ago, Montgolfier said:

All you really need to complete this post is a rousing chorus of "Ten German bombers".

Sorry for being proud of being English and wanting my country to do well, I know that sort of thing is heavily frowned upon these days. 

Would be much safer waving an EU flag.

Oh well you got 2 laughing emojis so well done.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sorry for being proud of being English and wanting my country to do well, I know that sort of thing is heavily frowned upon these days. 

Would be much safer waving an EU flag.

Oh well you got 2 laughing emojis so well done.

Proud to be English as well. I want the people of my country to be free of poverty. Its great that we are all on the same side.?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No not particularly, wanted it done on 31st March.

If it wasnt for the whinging remoaners we would be out by now and would probably have had our trade deal with the EU sorted.

Think you need to have a word with Merkel, she certainly doesnt expect a post Brexit UK to turn out how you are expecting it to, sure your words will save her a lot of worry!

Not sure I'd call members of the ERG remoaners, whinging or otherwise. But I'm certain that they voted against the last deal put before parliament, that caused brexit to delayed. Also looks if various ERG members may side with the DUP if they are not happy with Johnson's deal.

All those ERG remoaners, who'd have thought.

Archived